Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Mine were gunmetal gray. I have lots of silver sim tools too - i've owned 2 or 3 of every iPhone since the original (except the 5c).

As for those devices, (and I can't believe I'm arguing with you - I suppose you don't believe in global warming either), they have ample non-metallic surfaces to allow radio waves in and out. For example, in the original iPad mini to which you refer, the wifi/bluetooth antenna is located in the chin near the speaker. There's pretty much just glass surrounding it in one direction, no metal.

No **** Sherlock -- that wasn't my point. I am saying that there does not need to be any WINDOW cut out in the metal casing for signals to travel through -- in other words, an iPad or iPod touch can, and have been, made with completely metal shells and receive wifi signals just fine. If people would be more astute they would recognize that the inserts are not plastic. They would scratch like the 5C, which has a "scratch resistant" coating. They are a liquidmetal alloy. Believe what you will, but you won't get anywhere trying to convince me otherwise.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
No **** Sherlock -- that wasn't my point. I am saying that there does not need to be any WINDOW for signals to travel through -- in other words, an iPad or iPod touch can, and have been, made with completely metal shells and receive wifi signals just fine. If people would be more astute they would recognize that the inserts are not plastic. They are a liquidmetal alloy. Believe what you will, but you won't get anywhere trying to convince me otherwise.

I believe the "window" poster was just saying that you can't use liquidmetal to CREATE a window (for NFC or RF), which is what some posters had suggested.

And I'm sure I can't convince you. Just like I can't convince you of global warming or the perils of smoking. Believe what you want, but if I knew as little about electrical properties of materials as your posts suggest, I'd probably question my own beliefs a bit.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Mine were gunmetal gray. I have lots of silver sim tools too - i've owned 2 or 3 of every iPhone since the original (except the 5c).

As for those devices, (and I can't believe I'm arguing with you - I suppose you don't believe in global warming either), they have ample non-metallic surfaces to allow radio waves in and out. For example, in the original iPad mini to which you refer, the wifi/bluetooth antenna is located in the chin near the speaker. There's pretty much just glass surrounding it in one direction, no metal.

If you'd like to learn more, I direct you to read up on Maxwell's Equations.

----------

Sure. And you're the only ones in the world to notice this important fact.

----------

Wrong (i.e. - it's conductive, albeit not as conductive as some crystalline metals). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_metal , http://info.liquidmetal.com/Portals/202786/docs/LI1018_Properties_Comparison_Flyer_071713_JC.pdf

Try looking up Liquidmetal not Liquid_metal, two different things.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
I think the Apple logo will be Liquidmetal for wifi/Bluetooth/NFC etc to pass through. I also believe the ugly bands will be pulled out and Liquidmetal will be poured in to replace them. I think they will be able to color the Liquidmetal and the bands will be invisible due to matching colors or they will look far better than they do. I also think the camera ring will be Liquidmetal to prevent possible scratches and chips due to it's protrusion.

----------

Sorry I totally missed it haha

This liquidmetal stuff makes no sense. If it is RF transparent then there is no need for the bands in the first place. The link posted earlier seems to say the metal can be made into complex shapes which itself would be the antenna. Maybe I did not comprehend the article.

Also, the comments about it being poured seem to suggest some property that does not exist. It can be worked at lower temperatures than other alloys but it is still a solid at anything near room temperature. Again, maybe I'm not understanding what you all mean when gushing over liquidmetal.

The more leaks we get on the new iPhone the worse it gets. I really hope there's a big twist on the stage next month.

I wonder if apple purposefully leak certain 'crappy' pictures as to generate fanboi controversy and essentially free media cover - then, when they finally drop the item, it exceeds the aforementioned fanbois expectations, generating mass hype = more sales.

Beepings

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2014
OIS, anyone?

Rumors only lead to it being available, if at all, on the larger model, but one can hope, right?

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
I hope they don't do a protruding camera lens, it will get scratched up like crazy, not to mention how it will make the device sit on a flat surface. After all the times of bashing other manufacturers for having the camera lens sticking out, I can't see apple doing this with their iPhone line.

quadrakid

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2005
That rear shell with the clean white bands reminds me of a bandaid. The gold one if it has white lines even more so...

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 4.29.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 4.29.16 PM.png
    49.5 KB · Views: 612

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
man, i cant wait to get this phone. the excitement is huge, all of this great stuff, leaked with all the other rumors, this phone is going to be , THE **** period. I truly really hope they use like Grade 2 anodization on these iPhone 6's now for more resillency, pretty sure iphone 5/5s use Grade 1 Anodization

----------

I hope they don't do a protruding camera lens, it will get scratched up like crazy, not to mention how it will make the device sit on a flat surface. After all the times of bashing other manufacturers for having the camera lens sticking out, I can't see apple doing this with their iPhone line.

iPhone 6 camera lens is going be covered with a actual pure sapphire lens, like the iphone 5 and 5S, itll be extremely resilient to daily forces and materials , even if the lens is protruding, the reason why other manufacturers have had issues with their lens is because they dont use sapphire glass for their lens to protect the camera from scratches. The camera lens is pretty much unscratchable besides diamond being able to scratch it

Last edited by a moderator:

WARRZONE

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Wacom Pen

I wish the 5.5" model came with or would work with a Wacom pen like the Galaxy Note models do. I'll just have to dream on that one. Bigger screen is always nice I guess. Sometimes it's hard to read webpages even while double-tap zoomed in on my iPhone 5s. I'll just have to make sure it fits in my pocket okay. I hope it isn't delayed.

On an unrelated note, I was psyched about that iPad Pro rumor. It's too bad nothing came of it. If the iPad Pro ran x86 instead of ARM like an Apple version of the Surface Pro, I'd sell my iPad Air, and buy it instantly.

I would carry only a laptop, but I have to draw on the screen, so I need the iPad. Right now I use both. An iPad Pro would have been perfect to replace both of them. That or a convertible tablet Macbook Air.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
looking forward to the next iPhone. if the bigger version has more capability, then i may have to get the big one. but i'm not sure if i really want a huge phone

kdarling

macrumors P6
Liquidmetal is radio frequency transparent. Lends credence to NFC rumours?

Liquid Metal is NOT REPEAT NOT radio frequency transparent. Quite the opposite, in fact.

The myth that it is, all started with an interview where an LM engineer suggested that perhaps the metal could be made even more conductive and used as a full body antenna.

People totally ignored the part about the metal itself being the antenna, and thus started the transparent myth.

How do you explain the products I mentioned, then -- iPad mini, first generation (until fall 2013) and iPod touch 4th gen with completely metal shells?

The iPads with cellular have a plastic port at top. Likewise the iPod touch 5th generation has a back plastic port, because (as you noted) the 4th generation did not, and could only receive through its front glass, as the metal back blocked the rear. In other words, it was a bad case of form over function.

touchdown100

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2014
Iphone 6 retail boxing

the Daily Mirror Newspaper's website published (yesterday) a few photos of what it claims is the Iphone 6 packaging.
I won't go into why there will be no Iphone 6 this year or any new major Apple hardware this year

Instead I will say that these photos are FAKE

Reasons are

1) The box is for the gold Iphone 6 yet the actual Iphone pictured is silver
2) The picture of Iphone 6 box is the Iphone 5s for following reasons
i) It looks identical
ii) The picture of the iphone on the front of the box shows the home screen, the home screen has the calendar app icon. The calendar app icon always is set to the date the Iphone is released. Last year this was the 10th October. That is the same date the calendar app picture on the front of the box is.
I doubt that Apple would release the Iphone 6(if it were to do so)on the same date as previous Iphone.
I think that this just helps proves that I am right and there is no new hardware this year.

TIM COOK has lost it and just wants to talk about new stuff and not actually release any

kdarling

macrumors P6
Liquid Metal is NOT REPEAT NOT radio frequency transparent. Quite the opposite, in fact.

The myth that it is, all started with an interview where an LM engineer suggested that perhaps the metal could be made even more conductive and used as a full body antenna.

People totally ignored the part about the metal itself being the antenna, and thus started the transparent myth.

For those who are interested, I found the interview that started the misunderstanding:

"Dr. Atakan Peker says Liquidmetal might be a good material for building a next-generation antenna to replace the problematic part in the iPhone 4.
"First order of business is an iPhone case that incorporates a new antenna. The alloy case could be structural as well as functional. In other words, a Liquidmetal case could also function as a big antenna.

"And because different mixtures of metal can produce alloys with different characteristics, Apple could blend an alloy that is optimized for receiving radio signals.

“You can build casings with functional characteristics, and the alloy’s properties as an antenna can be optimized,” Peker said.

Liquidmetal May Be Used For New iPhone Antenna Says Inventor - CultofMac, Aug 2010

He was talking about making it an antenna, but some people only read the part about being optimized for receiving radio signals and mistook that as meaning transparent.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
For those who are interested, I found the interview that started the misunderstanding:

He was talking about making it an antenna, but some people only read the part about being optimized for receiving radio signals and mistook that as meaning transparent.

Don't assume people understand the difference between conductors and insulators.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.