Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 11, 2014, 01:39 PM   #26
BreuerEditor
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to BreuerEditor
Am I the only one that doesn't put power savings on the top of my features list? Give me a more powerful processor and I'll be happy.
BreuerEditor is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2014, 01:41 PM   #27
Dilster3k
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliblis View Post
Yeah right... Macbook with fanless design.
Who in their right mind would to spend 1k on a laptop that may overheat any moment?
I really doubt Apple would even release a device with constant heating issues unless they fix the issues...
Old Aug 11, 2014, 01:41 PM   #28
Hustler1337
macrumors 6502a

A 12" MacBook Air that's slimmer than the existing MacBook Air? What's this obsession with slimness?

It's already slim enough. We'd much rather have better-performance over a thinner, about-to-melt MacBook.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 01:46 PM   #29
gotluck
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnoco View Post
I don't think I've ever even heard the fan on my 2013 MBA (13"/17) even when using handbrake or iVi for video encoding. I'm sure it's on, but I don't hear it nor do I feel a tremendous amount of heat emanating from it. It is for sure, one of (if not THE) coolest running notebooks I've ever owned.
That's interesting, my cousin brought his MBA with him this weekend, was doing a little gaming, he was playing WoW, and the fan was screaming. May have been 2012, not sure
Old Aug 11, 2014, 01:47 PM   #30
MyDataMyProbs
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
5 Watts is the point I've been waiting for. I've been wanting to build a file server using FreeNAS. i tried and Atom CPU and it was not enough for the performance level I wanted.

(FreeNAS is BSD based, just like Mac OS X)
this will be amazing!
MyDataMyProbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2014, 01:52 PM   #31
TXCherokee
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler1337 View Post
A 12" MacBook Air that's slimmer than the existing MacBook Air? What's this obsession with slimness?

It's already slim enough. We'd much rather have better-performance over a thinner, about-to-melt MacBook.
Because not everyone needs a super fast computer and a MacBook like this would be awesome:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	485103  
TXCherokee is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2014, 01:55 PM   #32
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

What's the awesome in that?

If it's to make our friends go "Wow! That's cool" ONCE, what's the awesome after we've shown it to all of our friends or when they have Windows laptops that also have roll-up screens?
HobeSoundDarryl is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2014, 01:58 PM   #33
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCherokee View Post
Because not everyone needs a super fast computer and a MacBook like this would be awesome:
A bendy computer would be awesome until the novelty wears out, then it'd be kind of annoying and difficult to use.
Renzatic is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2014, 02:04 PM   #34
Yvan256
macrumors 601

How much longer for the new redesigned Mac mini?
Yvan256 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2014, 02:05 PM   #35
bushido
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four oF NINE View Post
My SSD MBP runs cool and the fan rarely engages.
the fan of my rMBP goes through the roof once i start playing videos within my browser
Old Aug 11, 2014, 02:05 PM   #36
cube
macrumors G3

Meh. Wake me up when they use this tech to fit a 12-core CPU in a 1 inch thick laptop.
cube is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2014, 02:07 PM   #37
xVeinx
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketSand11 View Post
Good, another sign that Apple won't switch to ARM.
Don't bet on it. ARM processors, such as NVIDIA's Tegra K1 variant and Apple's A7 processor, are quite powerful while having low TDP. The cost of an Intel processor in a Macbook Pro adds hundreds of dollars to the BOM. There will be a day soon when the ARM processors will hit the right performance metrics in both graphics and CPU, and the TDP and cost could be substantially lower (particularly the cost). Intel can produce processors that will be able to meet the performance/TDP ratio necessary for tablets and similar devices, but they are selling these at or below cost at the moment to get market share. That isn't a sustainable business model. If ARM processors can eat away at the Macbook Pro (notebook processor) market, Intel is going to have to meet the OEMs on cost more so than before. Their Fab technology, etc. costs money, and they can't afford that level of competition currently.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 02:08 PM   #38
mappyman
macrumors regular

Im not bothered about stupid "M" processors for tablets.

The tablet market has stagnated the enthusiast CPU market for those of us who want (affordable) powerful processors for emulation, video encoding and encryption.

The sooner the tablet market dies out the better IMO.
mappyman is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2014, 02:09 PM   #39
gotluck
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
the fan of my rMBP goes through the roof once i start playing videos within my browser
thats more like the experience ive seen around other's mba's & mpb's
Old Aug 11, 2014, 02:09 PM   #40
leman
macrumors 68040

This is super exiting. Computers are already more then fast enough, reducing power consumption and improving branch prediction is a great move!
leman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2014, 02:10 PM   #41
johnhurley
macrumors 6502a

waiting on macbook air retina

My youngest daughter heading to college soon with my MacBook air 2011 ... I will be at some point buying retina MacBook air or MacBook pro 15 not sure which exactly ... no rush for me fortunately!
johnhurley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2014, 02:13 PM   #42
carjakester
macrumors 68020

the MacBooks will get thinner?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 02:14 PM   #43
Pegamush
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler1337 View Post

usually thickness goes hand in hand with weight, and since we got to the point that any intel ix chip is fast enough for 95% of the use of a computer (for MY needs) then i'd rather have a laptop that it's lighter.
i agree, there's a limit to thinness, but as long as i have a hinged screen and some usb ports, it doesn't necessarily bother me.

ps. i forgot: and a decent keyboard!
Pegamush is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2014, 02:15 PM   #44
gotluck
macrumors 68040

increased thickness also decreases heat!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 02:16 PM   #45
chrisbru
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
A bendy computer would be awesome until the novelty wears out, then it'd be kind of annoying and difficult to use.
Depends on how it turns out. The way you envision it, sure, it would be difficult to use. But Apple wouldn't come out with this concept unless it was both attractive and easy to use.

If it worked as well as my current MBA and I could throw it in a gym bag without worrying about it bending, that would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Meh. Wake me up when they use this tech to fit a 12-core CPU in a 1 inch thick laptop.
1 inch thick laptop? Pass. If its that big, might as well have a desktop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappyman View Post
Im not bothered about stupid "M" processors for tablets.

The tablet market has stagnated the enthusiast CPU market for those of us who want (affordable) powerful processors for emulation, video encoding and encryption.

The sooner the tablet market dies out the better IMO.
Good thing your opinion is very unpopular. Tablets are here to stay. The "enthusiast CPU market" is not a very large or profitable market.
chrisbru is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2014, 02:16 PM   #46
PFKMan23
macrumors regular

I want the Broadwell chips for the rMBPs.
PFKMan23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2014, 02:16 PM   #47
JoEw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
http://hoyois.github.io/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/

Let me get rid of that flash for you....
Old Aug 11, 2014, 02:17 PM   #48
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketSand11 View Post
Good, another sign that Apple won't switch to ARM.
I am a big fan of Apple loosening the dependence on Intel much as they are doing with Samsung. Right now, Apple has to wait for Intel to release products versus Apple dictating the pace.

I don't think you completely get rid of Intel, but having a step up from the current iPad that is ARM based is not only possible, but in my opinion, probable. We have heard muted rumors of a 12" iPad. We have heard rumors of iOS allowing multiple windows. At some point, I just think that Apple can leverage the iPad to replace the lower end of the laptop line. For example, why have an 11-inch Mac Air, when you can have a 12-inch iPad? Well if you amp up the A7 to an A8 and allow for multi windows, I can see the conversation shifting towards the iPad. And the reliance on Intel goes down. And with each new version you creep in until, the iPad is the laptop. That would only leave Intel with the desktop and the workstation. That is becoming niche anyway, so Apple can dictate its product cycle much better.

So, switch, not so much, but continuing the long slow dwindling of Intel within Apple, yeah that sounds right.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 02:19 PM   #49
cube
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbru View Post
1 inch thick laptop? Pass. If its that big, might as well have a desktop.
A desktop is not portable.

The current 2 inches thick, that is too much. The battery lasts about half an hour, and the power supply is big and heavy.
cube is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2014, 02:19 PM   #50
JoEw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
For rendering on the go?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion