Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
the only thing that would bring me to upgrade from my iPad 3 already would be proper stylus support to take actual notes (yes the way it was spoofed in the latest microsoft ad needs to go)

gmcalpin

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Somerville, MA
I don't buy this. There are still a few things Apple can do with the hardware, including proper stylus support (not just fingers) like the Surface Pro and Note.
Exactly.

Anyone who thinks there isn't plenty of room for improvement in the hardware, as well as the software, has a very poor imagination.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Seems to read more like Bloomberg's source only knew details about the iPad Air 2. Unclear if the mini will get the coating too.

Agreed. I read this on bloomberg before reading it here and in the context of the whole article it seems like this is just one concrete piece of info the author wanted to throw in. I certainly didn't get the impression that the iPad Air 2 would be the exclusive recipient of such a feature.

Also is it sad that anti-reflective glass actually makes me wish I could upgrade from my iPad Air? I love the idea of an iPad that is easier to use in sunny situations. (but I will try to have will power).

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
Bring on the new iPads (Air and Retina Mini). I hope that they are faster, lighter, and come with a longer battery life.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Ridiculously enough, this could be the 3rd iPad I buy. I had a gen 3, gave it to my mom for Christmas and bought a Mini retina last year, and now want a bigger screen again (especially if a 5.5" iPhone comes out) as I mainly use it for magazines and books. I do hope Apple starts to bring some more customized software to the iPad. I actually quite like some of the things the Surface Pro 3 tries to do.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
I just hope that whatever antireflective coating they use won't have a negative effect on color gamut.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
the only thing that would bring me to upgrade from my iPad 3 already would be proper stylus support to take actual notes (yes the way it was spoofed in the latest microsoft ad needs to go)

This would be at the top of my hardware wish list too. I already take notes with a capacitive stylus but it just isn't good enough to take notes quickly during a meeting or lecture. My dream would be to replace pen and paper with an iPad completely. Right now Apple is like 80% there but they need to make this happen. It could be huge in education and business if there was a good first party solution.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I sort of don't buy that a coating process will only be used on the larger iPad, given that glass is glass (unless the glass for the mini has to be thinner, but even then, I sort of doubt the validity.

Otherwise, I feel like the A8 and TouchID (along with maybe improved cameras/optics, additional wireless capabilities that we never really needed before but will be nice to have down the road) will be the focus here. Nothing to make owners of the current iPad Air feel bad about not waiting for.

I am hoping that in addition to some, if not all, of those improvements, the third generation iPad mini gets a retina screen with a better color gamut as the current retina screen pales in comparison to the vibrant one of the current iPad Air (and fourth/third generation iPads as well).

Otherwise, calling the next iPad Air the 'iPad Air 2' is dumb as is calling the next iPad mini with retina the 'retina iPad mini 2'. For the mini, it's the THIRD generation. Period. First one had an A5 and a non-retina display, second one had an A7 and a retina display; third one will presumably have an A8, TouchID, and a (hopefully better) retina display. Plus, it's not like the iPad Air couldn't also be considered the fifth generation iPad, because it technically is. It'd be the second generation of nothing other than a stupid naming convention.

Speaking of naming conventions, I'm hungry for some 12.2" 'iPad Pro' rumors.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
This would be at the top of my hardware wish list too. I already take notes with a capacitive stylus but it just isn't good enough to take notes quickly during a meeting or lecture. My dream would be to replace pen and paper with an iPad completely. Right now Apple is like 80% there but they need to make this happen. It could be huge in education and business if there was a good first party solution.

Penultimate and any decent pen will do the trick. I was trying it with the Wacom Bamboo 2nd Gen yesterday and it is just like writing on paper. My handwriting is exactly the same.

This is the one I got

And this is me trying it for the first time

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
If they you don't up the ram, no way do I get another iPad!

I agree,both iPad Air and Retina Mini can definitely benefit from 2GB Ram,I have an iPad Air and I'm sick and tired of random app and Safari crashes due to low memory.to this day I've been unable to truly enjoy the iPad because of these annoying low memory crashes,they happen at least once a day.

----------

Bring on the new iPads (Air and Retina Mini). I hope that they are faster, lighter, and come with a longer battery life.

More importantly : the necessary RAM upgrade..

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
I agree,both iPad Air and Retina Mini can definitely benefit from 2GB Ram,I have an iPad Air and I'm sick and tired of random app and Safari crashes due to low memory.to this day I've been unable to truly enjoy the iPad because of these annoying low memory crashes,they happen at least once a day.

That's not ram. It's ios.

They'll crash with 2GB too

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
There is only one thing the ipad needs right now. A speaker that faces forwards. Other than thaty iPad 3 died everything just as well as my iPad air and isee no reason to replace them

RyanR.

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Virginia
Safari seems snappier :rolleyes:
I am not criticizing this comment (I quite like and agree with it), but:

You post this comment in response to every article and you haven't gotten banned yet - how do you do it‽

I suppose that it shall be added to the growing list of Apple clichés, which includes, but is not limited to:
- Still waiting for the PowerBook G5
- Steve would never have allowed this
- Apple is doomed
- Any -gate
- Can't innovate anymore my ass!
- Still waiting for the 2014 Mac Mini
- The 5.5" iPhone 6 does not exist

Feel free to tell me about the others that I know I missed...

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
Due to advances in the A8 architecture, rumor has it they will drop the RAM down to 512MB because thats all normal users need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.