Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dainiusrun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
Hello,

Sorry if my question will sound stupid. I don't have a knowledge in IOS programming, however I would like to ask one hypothetical question and hear the answer whether it's technically possible.

Would I be able to make an app with the function that could allows it's users to track each others location 24/7. I mean, in all cases, either the user is using that app or the app works just in the background.

For example, if my friend installs app and leave it to work in the background, would I be able to program function, which would allow to track his locations 24/7? (of course with all his permissions, setting and etc.)?

Thank you for the answers in advance!

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Find My Friends from Apple already does this. Not sure if they use internal mechanisms to do it. I'm guessing push notifications are probably involved to trigger a device to respond, but I'm not sure.

dainiusrun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
Thank you for the answer.

I believe that "find my friends" wouldn't be a perfect example, because as you've said it might trigger a push and, of course, it's made by Apple (as I know apple restricts some functions for the developers).

Actually I'm planning to develop app that could allow it's users to see other app users in the map, who are nearly them (0,5 miles spread). So, as I understand that app should have a function that tracks it's users location and provide information whether there are some of them nearly you.

Is it technically possible? For example, if other users use this app in the background?

jt.syrja

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2013
Finland
I use find my friend with my family and friends and to me it seems to work exactly as you describe. With my friends permission I am able to track his location 24/7. App doesnt even have to be running and still your phone updates location regurarly and also when friend is requesting it. No notification (or anything else) is shown to the person who is being tracked..

dainiusrun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
Thanks for the answers. Yes, I ono Glympse, but tracking function is just a tiny part of what I'm thinking. Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.