Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is preparing to roll out its Healthkit development tools to health professionals across the U.S., and has been discussions with health providers at Mount Sinai, Cleveland Clinic, John Hopkins, and Allscripts to use the new system, reports Reuters.

Apple is said to be pushing Healthkit and its Health app as being an all-in-one solution for medical professionals to store patient data like blood pressure, pulse, and weight. Apple is also hoping that physicians will use the available data to improve diagnostics and treatment decisions. The company is also looking to partner with electronic health records provider Epic Systems to integrate its software and services.

healthimprovements.jpg
The article notes that Apple is likely to face challenges in the mobile health data field due to privacy and regulatory requirements. Apple's Health app and Healthkit development tools were originally introduced at this year's WWDC conference this past July. The Health app allows users to keep track and input several different health metrics measured by various devices, and can also allow an at-a-glance view of overall health with the aggregated data. The HealthKit tool for developers can be incorporated into health and fitness apps to access health data stored within the health app.

Both Health and HealthKit will be shipping as a part of Apple's new iOS 8 mobile operating system this fall.

Article Link: Apple In Talks to Roll Out HealthKit to Medical Professionals Across U.S.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Wonder if they will do an open sign up. I hope so.

Last edited by a moderator:

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
I work in the medical field and it needs a company like apple to revolutionize some aspects of health care. Most systems are cumbersome and get in the way of health care professionals.

Let's hope apple can make a big difference and encourage others to do the same

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
This would be great for the NHS in the UK as well

It would but I cant see Apple taking the effort to integrate to the Spine over the N3 with some pretty disparate systems still sitting over it. We haven't a good history in large scale integrations in the UK....

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
I feel like the people who would benefit from having health monitorered are already monitoring it with their own apps or third party equipment.

The main metrics that need to be monitored are food intake, exercise and blood pressure all of which are hard to do or tedious. It's a shame this will be a flop and another app that will never get used.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I feel like the people who would benefit from having health monitorered are already monitoring it with their own apps or third party equipment.

The main metrics that need to be monitored are food intake, exercise and blood pressure all of which are hard to do or tedious. It's a shame this will be a flop and another app that will never get used.

Your understanding of the point of care diagnostics market is flawed and your prediction is based on nothing but your personal feeling. A great way to predict what will happen!

I'm a bit surprised because your other posts usually demonstrate or present insight..

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
This could revolutionize health care.
Think of the best case scenario...wow.

I've mixed feelings about this. Of course, nothing wrong with providing equipment for doctors and patients in order to provide a 'better' life in the long run but I'm still worried about one single important aspect: security....

I'm not naive, within a few decades more people will have (*) camera's in-house which can remotely be monitored from it's users, robots which are able to do many things with the use of remotely given assignments, and healthcare kits that will monitor the owner his or her health, viewable for the owner and the doctors if required.
But all that "ooh's and aaah what wonderful" comes with a risk. The risk that someone his or her private life will be viewable by people who are not supposed to have this privilege. This is no paranoia speaking but rather dry reality when you think of all the computers being hacked on daily basis.
It's not a question if a hacker or a company or some country authority with the excuse of national security will be able the gather information that goes beyond the worthless nonsens people put on Facebook as a daily routine but rather 'when'. This involves being able to have a look inside someone's his or her house, or the ability to determine one his or her physical condition. And once all that information is out of the street there is no turning back from it...

In other words, yes, this will probably makes things go different, something I already knew that would happen, but it isn't necessary always a good thing.

(*) those who can afford it so not the poor.

odds

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2014
Los Angeles

Well, aren't you an optimistic one!

If there's a company who CAN make this happen, it's Apple. Time will tell.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
None profit socialized medicine like NHS, and any other health system around the world where profit is not the first & foremost part of the equation will not see HealthKit any time soon.
Maybe they will. Health kit is great for prevention and management.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.