Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
Anyone considered the antenna breaks being filled with liquidmetal? That'd look pretty cool

i don't think so because there was a black rear shell and it had black antenna lines. if it was a place holder for a liquid metal filling i would assume that this eventually obsolete place holder has the same color irrespective of the color of the final product (i.e. silver, black / space grey, gold?).

Mr England

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2014
Won't be plastic, definitely not. I agree with the above poster, it will be liquid metal and as seamless as they can get it. It won't look like the mock ups in Sept.

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
I was thinking the same. Surely this won't be the final look

Won't be plastic, definitely not. I agree with the above poster, it will be liquid metal and as seamless as they can get it. It won't look like the mock ups in Sept.

if so why would the bands be black in the black rear shell?
image.jpg

i would think that they would use some generic color for all rear shell colors if they where there to be ripped out and be refilled with liquid metal.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Based on the center, small hole, which will surely be for the mike as on previous models - too bad it'll still only support mono audio... (FYI: WRT cameraphones, even the 2010 Nokia N8 supported stereo audio recording while shooting video. Yes, four years ago...)

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I'm sorry.

No way in a million years can I see Apple make anything look this nasty and horrid.

Let's say for a moment it was a magnetic area for addition lenses to line up and stick onto. You would made a circular magnetic recess around the camera lens, not something that stick out so that the iPhone rocks side to side when you place it on a flat surface.

The bands look horrid

The shiny Apple logo looks amazingly super cheap and nasty, like some chrome plated child's toy.

Simply put it looks a cheap, nasty early mock-up to test out some ideas.

The final version will look way way better than this. It MUST do.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
That camera…..

My likely courses of action are now……

Keep my current 5S.
Switch to a completely different phone.
Buy the 6 if I get a real good deal.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
Every time someone says "antenna bands" or "camera protrudes" a kitten dies.
Oh look, there goes another one.

Think of the kittens.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Does the 5th gen iPod touch rock when you put it on a flat surface because of the camera lense?

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Every time someone says "antenna bands" or "camera protrudes" a kitten dies.
Oh look, there goes another one.

Think of the kittens.

Apple pride themselves ad nauseum over aesthetics. I think the responses are in the right quantity and intensity.

FullGaz

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
Ok, it's ugly. I can't believe all I see from Apple lately looks ugly. It all started with the iPhone 5 stupid form factor, through the unexplainable iOS 7 down to the ugliest OSX ever. Is Jony going through his middle age crisis?

ahlsn

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2013
Can someone explain the point of the bands that goes along the top and bottom around the frame? If it was just antenna bands the horizontal ones would be enough like on the 5, wouldn't it?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Sonny Dickson? Wasn't he the one who previously leaked stuff that we later found out was fake and based on digital renders by Martin Hajek?

bgs1azqcqaaxn2p-jpg-large.jpeg

bgtaxpbciaanwht-jpg-large.jpeg

QF1zNfO.jpg

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
how are two white glass parts on a silver back (iphone 5 / 5S) better to look at than two thin lines. i dont mind the redesign at all

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
You guys are freaking out over a slightly protruded camera lens? Really?
Agreed,

And all of this for an, unfinished product too. It looks like this phone will have a band of glass at the top and bottom (like the current model) so the camera may very well be flush on the finished product.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Can someone explain the point of the bands that goes along the top and bottom around the frame? If it was just antenna bands the horizontal ones would be enough like on the 5, wouldn't it?

How can someone explain something they know nothing about? We don't know what those bands are for. There was one rumor that suggested those bands were just placeholders and would not be in the final product. Who knows. But I have yet to see a leak that looked anything close to a final product.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Does the 5th gen iPod touch rock when you put it on a flat surface because of the camera lense?

If you take any flat object, and at one corner place anything protruding from the back, the item will rock when placed on a flat surface and you press the front at a certain point.

The ONLY way to stop the rocking would be to have the rear of the case bent, so you have taken out the unevenness, or you place a tiny lug sticking out at the opposite side so that it's the same thickness as, in this case the camera lens.

At the moment, this is exactly the same as having a chair with equal legs, and making one leg a little longer. It will rock.

You could bodge you way around it by selling a case that stops the rock, but really I think that would be laughable to HAVE to buy a case so that the next iPhone does not rock on the table.

They could make the rear of the shell on the other side stick out a bit, but we've not see any evidence of that.

There must be some other reason for these mock ups. Just testing out concepts perhaps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.