Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
2 - Wouldn't Sharp have said something if they'd just grabbed a big win like this?

3 - The Displaymate article talks about 57% more power efficient for the same screen area and luminance. Wasn't it widely predicted beforehand that the just-released iPad display would go from having two backlight strips to just one in order to reduce power consumption? If that has happened then that alone would probably account for the better power efficiency of the iPad Air display vs the iPad 3/4 without needing to assume a switch to IGZO and maybe the quality improvements that others here report are due to the factors that rovex mentioned in an earlier post: "I think the lamination process and clearer, more transparent glass helps I that respect".

I actually hope that the iPad Air doesn't have an IGZO display because I was hoping that Apple still had that card to play in 2014 to shave off even more weight from the iPad.

2 - No, Apple puts pretty strong gag orders on their manufacturers. For example it's widely believed Apple uses Gorilla glass but that's never be confirmed by Corning.

3 - Standard high resolution displays require a lot of light to work properly. Using IGZO would make sense regarding the reduction of light bars.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
...so an entire industry, including pundits with access to teardowns got it totally wrong or were fooled into thinking that the Air was equipped with IGZO?
The ones who actually teared it down found out it isn't an IGZO.

I mean, I just gave you the part number of the screen in the iPad Air. Did you look it up?

Look

ceff5499a66a227ab5ab996d03919f43.jpg

It isn't IGZO . Plain and simple.

And I don't know what you mean by an "entire industry", because the latest headlines read that the iPad Air 2 will not have IGZO either.

The Industry now knows it ISN'T IGZO, so the headlines now are

Apple could hold off on IGZO display technology until iPad Air 3

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/07/igzo-display-ipad-air-3.html

The headlines about IGZO were just false rumors.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.