Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
I have an adapter that adapts the old kind of display port on a beige Mac to male VGA. That works nicely so I can use a newer VGA LCD on an old Mac... However, I noticed that there are male ports on old Apple monitors too. I wanted to use it to adapt my 1987 Apple monitor to VGA, then plug that into my, for example. PMG4 Cube or other VGA-compatible Mac with a VGA cable. My 1987 Apple monitor DOES work, but when I tried to do this, the screen remained black. Is this not a possible thing? (I like using this expression): Is it not shipping even though it fits? Has anyone achieved this before? I know it sounds useless to use this adapter for the opposite purpose it was intended for, but it would be cool to adapt an old monitor onto a newer, VGA Apple computer and use an old ADB keyboard/mouse and everything.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I can't imagine why what you're doing wouldn't work.

I have an adapter designed to connect a DB-15 monitor to a VGA port. In fact, when I was trouble shooting my new MDD, I actually used an old 14" Apple color monitor with it via "stacked" adapters(DVI to VGA, then VGA to DB-15). I had no issues at all with doing this.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
The old Apple displays were "fixed frequency" - they ran at a single resolution with a single refresh rate. If your video card (or your OS) doesn't support that one resolution and refresh rate, it won't work. Also your adapter may wrongly declare that the monitor is multi-sync, and your video card may try to send a resolution/rate that the monitor can't handle, even if it SHOULD be capable of running it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.