Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:42 AM   #26
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver400 View Post
At what point can we stop looking at people in terms of their race, and instead just view them as people?
Sadly, that is never going to happen.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:43 AM   #27
Mums
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exponent View Post
As a white guy Silicon Valley Engineer who finds it harder and harder to find chip design jobs (thank God I'm in a good one right now), I really wish the Valley went back to the "we don't give a rat's @$$ what you look like, just be excellent and proactive at your job" model that used to prevail here.

What really needs to be looked at is the incredibly monolithic look most chip design teams have these days. They're not white, they're 90% Indian-Pakistani, with a smattering of Chinese people here and there. This in no way matches the output from engineering schools. H1B visa abuse by employers has truly changed the Silicon Valley landscape.
Weird!! I didn't know that, but I'd wondered what was going on in Silicon Valley. Reverse discrimination has wrecked American industry.
Mums is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:43 AM   #28
TheAppleFairy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
Heaven forbid the workforce actually reflects the demographic make up of the entire population.

Well said, I was just thinking the exact same thing and wanted to find a good way to word it. You summed it up well.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:43 AM   #29
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
Agree,

but there is also a good argument for diversity in thought by hieing someone who may not be the best but brings a different perspective.
Exactly how many "perspectives" can be brought in with regards to computation and math? This isn't a literature group. It's science.
Kaibelf is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:43 AM   #30
joshdammit
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teste View Post
It's silly to call for diversity when Tim Cook himself continues to hide his homossexuality. Is this the kind of example he wants to set at Apple? "Stay hidden and don't tell anyone about it"?
Maybe because he isn't a homosexual? Or even if he is, who he's dating is none of our business. Sexual preference does not determine who you are as a person.
joshdammit is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:43 AM   #31
DBZmusicboy01
macrumors 6502

Hispanic is not a race...My friend was born in Cuba and he has blue eyes and pale skin and both his parents were born there. - Just wanted Apple to know that.
DBZmusicboy01 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:44 AM   #32
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
It's silly to call for diversity when Tim Cook himself continues to hide his homossexuality. Is this the kind of example he wants to set at Apple? "Stay hidden and don't tell anyone about it"?
I agree. I'm heterosexual myself and I think it would be selfish and rude of me not to tell as many as I can. I plan on going to Times Square with a megaphone to let the world know my private business.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:44 AM   #33
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
There is no evidence he's gay. There was a single article that cited "common knowledge" as its source, and a lot of other articles talking about that article.

It's not on his Wikipedia page for good reason - there's no supporting facts.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:45 AM   #34
Mums
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
And who said that's the case? Take a place like NYC, which is the most diverse place in the world. If all the Apple stores combined in NYC had 95% white employment you would not see an obvious issue with that?

I think it's great that Apple is proud of the diversity in it's employees.
You can have NYC - it's not even part of America.
Mums is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:45 AM   #35
blacktape242
macrumors 6502

Who cares what color you are, what race you are or gender....

what race baiting ballocks.
blacktape242 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:46 AM   #36
xero9
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
americans are so weird about that ... the first time I had to fill out the form to fly to the US I was so confused by the question "Are you white, black, latin american, asian ..." like wtf? what does it matter.
The best is when they simply ask "Are you Hispanic?"
xero9 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:46 AM   #37
Mums
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZmusicboy01 View Post
Hispanic is not a race...My friend was born in Cuba and he has blue eyes and pale skin and both his parents were born there. - Just wanted Apple to know that.
I agree. I've had many friends in California and New York who are White latinos / Hispanic. It's just another political separation. Go tell a Spaniard he's not White.
Mums is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:46 AM   #38
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibelf View Post
That would mean the industry would have to, demographically, reflect the population. Sorry, but by and large girls and some minorities aren't introduced to computer science as a focal point of interest either by their family or the neighborhood culture.

Would you also complain about the lack of white hip-hop artists or straight LGBT studies majors?
No, that's what I'm saying. We try to take this "equality" thing so far to the point we're hurting ourselves making sure everything is equal.

My point was tongue-in-cheek.

For example, if a public university released diversity statistics that showed 15% Hispanic, 13% Black, 5% Asian and 67% White, people would have a cow. Yet that's the demographic make up of this country.

Why these reports are even necessary is idiotic to begin with.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:47 AM   #39
Orlandoech
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
I agree. I'm heterosexual myself and I think it would be selfish and rude of me not to tell as many as I can. I plan on going to Times Square with a megaphone to let the world know my private business.
Lol... that literally made me lol.

Who cares wtf he is/isn't. I don't and I'm sure he doesn't care my sexuality.
Orlandoech is online now   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:48 AM   #40
crsh1976
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
And of course there are people who are hypersensitive to the hyper-sensitives and are offended over the other side being offended over the lack of diversity.

Which doesn't make them any better.... Just the other side of the very same coin....

Back to the point, hire the best people regardless of sex, race, sexual orientation, etc. That is the ideal anyway.
The overly sensitive ones getting offended left, right and center by this sort of stuff aren't people, they're the media and politicians looking for a new bus to ride to promote themselves.

Normal people don't give a rat's ass about these so-called transparency reports.
crsh1976 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:48 AM   #41
quagmire
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandoech View Post
Completely agree. While Im not easily offended, things do offend me. While I dont consider myself hyper-sensitive, those whom are do annoy me ha.

But I agree, and ideal way would be beneficial for everyone but in the end, if the numbers aren't where Apple wants them, they shouldn't hire certain individuals based off their "numbers".
Since issues like gender, race, sexual orientation, etc haven't gone away, companies will be sensitive to it. Until cases of discrimination have gone away, other companies will go out of their way to appear to be diverse and welcoming of everyone.

But I don't ever see discrimination ever ending because every human have their prejudices and tend to act on them. Like someone said above, we need to stop seeing people for their races, sexual orientation, gender, etc and see them as people. Will that day ever come? I don't know. But both sides are feeding into the issue.
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:49 AM   #42
Mums
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver400 View Post
At what point can we stop looking at people in terms of their race, and instead just view them as people? In five years? In ten? In fifty?

How about now?
Yeah - including White people.
Mums is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:50 AM   #43
Orlandoech
macrumors 68030

Quote:
No, that's what I'm saying. We try to take this "equality" thing so far to the point we're hurting ourselves making sure everything is equal.

My point was tongue-in-cheek.

For example, if a public university released diversity statistics that showed 15% Hispanic, 13% Black, 5% Asian and 67% White, people would have a cow. Yet that's the demographic make up of this country.

OH EM GEEE... someone who is logical! Love it! You're so right.
Orlandoech is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:51 AM   #44
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by xero9 View Post
The best is when they simply ask "Are you Hispanic?"
Hispanic does have basis for race. But it's way to vague.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:51 AM   #45
Mums
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
Agree,

but there is also a good argument for diversity in thought by hieing someone who may not be the best but brings a different perspective.
Somehow that doesn't sound right.
Mums is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:51 AM   #46
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:

especially since Hispanic isnt a race
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:52 AM   #47
Orlandoech
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsh1976 View Post
The overly sensitive ones getting offended left, right and center by this sort of stuff aren't people, they're the media and politicians looking for a new bus to ride to promote themselves.

Normal people don't give a rat's ass about these so-called transparency reports.
I agree... I would say something... but I wont ha. Ill just say, Obama. Did I say too much already? I bet I will be flamed.
Orlandoech is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:52 AM   #48
Rogifan
macrumors G3

So does this include diversity of political views, Tim?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:52 AM   #49
T-Will
macrumors 6502

Dear Apple,

Quit worrying about this progressive political crap, and keep your focus on making the best products out there!

Sincerely,
T.Will
T-Will is online now   10 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:52 AM   #50
chrisbru
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Um... What?
chrisbru is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues