Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I don't think Apple would see death as a valid reason to transfer ID's and therefore purchases. I believe they've argued that purchases are not inheritable. Here's an article from last year by the NYT's MarketWatch:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/who-inherits-your-itunes-library-2012-08-23

The big thing that may be holding this up is that purchases are non-transferable. The public needs to successfully find a way or judgement that eliminates this obstacle.

*Cant insert a link on mobile. MR is too cheap/lazy/indifferent (?) to create an app with that functionality.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
What I find infuriating is that apple will quite conveniently ignore issues and all criticism whatsoever.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I don't think Apple would see death as a valid reason to transfer ID's and therefore purchases. I believe they've argued that purchases are not inheritable. Here's an article from last year by the NYT's MarketWatch:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/who-inherits-your-itunes-library-2012-08-23

The big thing that may be holding this up is that purchases are non-transferable. The public needs to successfully find a way or judgement that eliminates this obstacle.

*Cant insert a link on mobile. MR is too cheap/lazy/indifferent (?) to create an app with that functionality.

I don't think that inheritance would be considered a "transfer of ownership". And I really, really can't see anyone successfully suing a heir for enjoying the music they inherited. Likewise with splitting up an ID due to divorce: The owners are the same as before. Accounts don't own music, people do.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
What Apple should do is put the fingerprint sensor on every product and also allow developers to use that resource. We could eliminate IDs, passwords, etc at long last.

Those who like passwords could of course still use them if they felt more secure.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The iTunes music license says
You shall be authorized to use iTunes Products only for personal, noncommercial use.​
Does "you" refer to a specific human, to an Apple ID, to the person who created the Apple ID, to the person who has power of attorney for that person, to the person who paid for the purchases, or to the person who clicked "I agree" while installing the latest iTunes to listen to the music?

Does "personal use" include letting my wife listen to my music? What if my wife borrows my iPhone and listens to it when I'm not there? What about my wife listening to my music after I die?

Lots of questions, very few answers.

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
Looks like Tim is still 'working on it'. It's been 2 years man. Come on!

Apple could def take a cue from Microsoft on this one. Microsoft Account management is great.

tenetetcetera

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014
It's 2014

And Apple still has not been able to fix this issue. This is why I have not bought into the entire Apple ecosystem yet - this amateur infrastructure crap is frustrating.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Family Sharing (when it arrives this fall) will address this concern to a large extent. The primary reason for wanting to merge is to have easy access to all iTunes/App Store purchases, which Family Sharing can do in many cases.

A single Apple ID is definitely simpler, but with iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime, etc., it's become increasingly impractical - each user needs to maintain his/her own data and identity. The only hanger-on in the one-family-one-Apple ID model has been the iTunes account, for obvious economic reasons.

There are still open questions on Family Sharing. It does require a common credit card on all accounts. Will parents have enough control over spending on the kids' accounts? If the account(s) go to "None" for credit card, does that disconnect that user/family from Family Sharing? We'll see soon enough.

I can appreciate Apple's reluctance to merge accounts. A merger could be used as a form of account take-over (whether scammer-style, or as scorched earth during a bitter divorce). Ensuring that it's not a hijacking requires a fair amount of safeguards.

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
Will parents have enough control over spending on the kids' accounts?

Yes. Parents can enable "Ask to Buy." If "Ask to Buy" is enabled, parents will be asked for permission every time a child taps either the "Buy" button on an App Store or iTunes Store purchase or a button in an app to indicate that he or she wants to make an in-app purchase, and taps "Ask."

Wang Foolio

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2010
Lol, I don't make a boatload of money but I guess I'd need to add iTunes to any possible pre-nup in the future. Silly woman, you can't have my Warhammer collection, nor my iTunes purchases!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Lol, I don't make a boatload of money but I guess I'd need to add iTunes to any possible pre-nup in the future. Silly woman, you can't have my Warhammer collection, nor my iTunes purchases!

I know you are joking, but I have actually seen a couple posts from people on here asking what can be done when one divorces and all the apps etc are under one AppleID. Serious business!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.