Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shmanky

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Toronto
Yeah very good point. It's definitely noticeable, but only on dark backgrounds. Thanks for the reply Shmanky. Don't think I'll be exchanging unless I notice something worse or it continues to bug me.

Can you please check if you have a dark yellow region in the lower left corner? Can you check your colour contrast by comparing your display with another known good display to see if your new display has the yellow tint overall? Can you check your display for image retention at http://marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html. Problems that don't exist at first can develop over a period of 3–12 months such as image retention and muras (white blurry areas). But based on the way you've described your display so far I can say, having gone through 4 displays, you're not likely to get a better one.

jkel777

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2014
Can you please check if you have a dark yellow region in the lower left corner? Can you check your colour contrast by comparing your display with another known good display to see if your new display has the yellow tint overall? Can you check your display for image retention at http://marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html. Problems that don't exist at first can develop over a period of 3–12 months such as image retention and muras (white blurry areas). But based on the way you've described your display so far I can say, having gone through 4 displays, you're not likely to get a better one.

Honestly, I don't wanna go looking for problems haha sorry! I noticed the backlight bleeding by chance. I tend to be super paranoid when it comes to issues like these lol. I'll post back in this thread if I notice anything else. Thanks for your help Shmanky. It's only been a few days so I'll see how it goes. Did you end up getting a good display?

Shmanky

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Toronto
Honestly, I don't wanna go looking for problems haha sorry! I noticed the backlight bleeding by chance. I tend to be super paranoid when it comes to issues like these lol. I'll post back in this thread if I notice anything else. Thanks for your help Shmanky. It's only been a few days so I'll see how it goes. Did you end up getting a good display?

No, I don't have a good display; it has an overall yellow tint, dark-yellow region in the lower left, a blue region in the lower middle, and image retention on the left. Maybe I can try to get a replacement based on the image retention and end up with a 5th broken display for 3 thousand dollars.

jkel777

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2014
No, I don't have a good display; it has an overall yellow tint, dark-yellow region in the lower left, a blue region in the lower middle, and image retention on the left. Maybe I can try to get a replacement based on the image retention and end up with a 5th broken display for 3 thousand dollars.

Haha might as well try! That's why I don't want to take mine back for an issue like this in fear of getting a worse display, or another unit with another problem. I wish you luck if you decide to go for your 5th!

Shmanky

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Toronto
Haha might as well try! That's why I don't want to take mine back for an issue like this in fear of getting a worse display, or another unit with another problem. I wish you luck if you decide to go for your 5th!

Yeah, keep the one you have if it's as good as it sounds and doesn't have the problems I mentioned.

jkel777

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2014
Yeah, keep the one you have if it's as good as it sounds and doesn't have the problems I mentioned.

Thanks, I'm definitely gonna keep it for the time being. I'm OCD about these things, whereas a normal consumer might not even notice it or know what any of these issues are.

powerslave12r

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
Thanks, I'm definitely gonna keep it for the time being. I'm OCD about these things, whereas a normal consumer might not even notice it or know what any of these issues are.

You wanna sell that rMBP to me? I'll live with backlight bleed any day over the 'dirty' looking dark and yellow patch covered screen.

anaqvi786

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2013
At iOS planet
Late...

Hey everyone!
I don't know if this has already been mentioned or not, and this is 5 days after the last post, but in my experience in replacing iPhone and iPad screens, after removing and putting the same screen back into its correct spot it removes all tinting. I think this issue is caused by the fact that the LCD isn't seated properly or how there could be a small particle underneath the lcd in the spot it is seated.

Basilfawltyone

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2013
Chicago, IL
Very happy with my display

Have now had my MBPr 15 for several month - no retention and perfectly even.

Slightly yellow but totally even. Use System Prefs and display, color and downloaded profiles here and can change Kelvin.

So there are very good screens!

My iPad AIR not perfect but just slightly more yellow on the left.

Shmanky

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Toronto
Slightly yellow but totally even. Use System Prefs and display, color and downloaded profiles here and can change Kelvin.

So there are very good screens!

Not sure why having to adjust the colour of the display means it's a good display. Did you ever have to manually change the colour on any computer or monitor you've owned in the past? Or install colour profiles?

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
Not sure why having to adjust the colour of the display means it's a good display. Did you ever have to manually change the colour on any computer or monitor you've owned in the past? Or install colour profiles?

Yes, to both of the questions.

Edit: To clarify a bit, I've used a whole bunch of different displays along the years, some CRT, some LCD, prices ranging from $200 to $2000. Every single one was calibrated.

Every panel (and CRT) is unique, and factory profiles may, or may not, be accurate enough. So usually custom profiles are required, if colour accuracy is a requirement.

Last edited:

Basilfawltyone

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2013
Chicago, IL

Yes, I always liked more blue than yellow. But for me the most important thing is that something is even, not spots.

alex24buc

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2014
Mac book pro retina late 2013

After some finnacial efforts i purchased the mackbook pro retina late 2013, 15". The display is made by Samsung as i have noticed, and there is something strange about it, maybe you guys could help me with. Beside the fact that is not that white as I expected, and it is a bit yellow, I noticed something interesting about the whitness of the screen that in some circumstances changes a bit.
So to explain, after quitting watching a movie on youtube or another bluray video with quick time or another player, on full screen, even for a few minutes, I noticed that the white on the open windows on safari (apple forum for exmple) is a more accurate white, dissapearing the yellow sensation completely. The sad part is that after a few minutes the yellow hue reappears and the white, it`s not that white anymore (is not that pronnonced but I can see it). I mention that this has nothing to do with brightness, which is not set to automatically change and it is not changing by itself, it is something with the yellow hue that dissapears enterely only after playing a video on full screen, or visiting a site with flash or other graphical elements. I reproduced this situation many times now, and it is a little frustrating because i don`t want to play a video in order to get a perfectly white with no yellow hue or to visit websites with lots of plug-ins. My macbook has 3 months and I am not taking into consideration to go to the reseller for warranty (I don`t have an apple store in my country) because for sure they will deny any problem. As I told you before, this is not something that obvious. I know this may look hard to believe but believe me, I spent a long time to analyze this problem as i considered it was just my imagination, but I assure you this is a true situation.
I also disabled the discrete graphic card changing function and nothing happened. Please help, any advice would be much appreciated.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

Stock color profiles in general aren't always that great, which is one of the things that I don't understand. It seems like they should be able to provide better stock profiles. The other part of the profile is a remapping from profile space to a target space where everything in the measured gamut but outside the target gamut is clipped. That is what happens when you tell it to use a specific color temperature or gamma and would not be a great idea. I just don't think they always match the hardware gamut of a new display very well.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
After some finnacial efforts i purchased the mackbook pro retina late 2013, 15". The display is made by Samsung as i have noticed, and there is something strange about it, maybe you guys could help me with. Beside the fact that is not that white as I expected, and it is a bit yellow, I noticed something interesting about the whitness of the screen that in some circumstances changes a bit.
So to explain, after quitting watching a movie on youtube or another bluray video with quick time or another player, on full screen, even for a few minutes, I noticed that the white on the open windows on safari (apple forum for exmple) is a more accurate white, dissapearing the yellow sensation completely. The sad part is that after a few minutes the yellow hue reappears and the white, it`s not that white anymore (is not that pronnonced but I can see it). I mention that this has nothing to do with brightness, which is not set to automatically change and it is not changing by itself, it is something with the yellow hue that dissapears enterely only after playing a video on full screen, or visiting a site with flash or other graphical elements. I reproduced this situation many times now, and it is a little frustrating because i don`t want to play a video in order to get a perfectly white with no yellow hue or to visit websites with lots of plug-ins. My macbook has 3 months and I am not taking into consideration to go to the reseller for warranty (I don`t have an apple store in my country) because for sure they will deny any problem. As I told you before, this is not something that obvious. I know this may look hard to believe but believe me, I spent a long time to analyze this problem as i considered it was just my imagination, but I assure you this is a true situation.
I also disabled the discrete graphic card changing function and nothing happened. Please help, any advice would be much appreciated.

Looks like you have a unevenly yellow display. I guess that you're just having an impression that the problem is momentaneously gone. Try aligning four Finder windows in 4 quadrants like this:
[1][2]
[3][4]

If you perceive that the "zebra" blue/white lines are more yellowish in a Finder window than on another, this is a proof that you have a display which shows different hues depending on the region of the screen. The bad news is: appearantly every retina display suffers from some level of uneven yellowing. The good news is that you can try exchanging for a display which the issue is less (or more) severe.

Rbk23

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2014
Looks like you have a unevenly yellow display. I guess that you're just having an impression that the problem is momentaneously gone. Try aligning four Finder windows in 4 quadrants like this:
[1][2]
[3][4]

If you perceive that the "zebra" blue/white lines are more yellowish in a Finder window than on another, this is a proof that you have a display which shows different hues depending on the region of the screen. The bad news is: appearantly every retina display suffers from some level of uneven yellowing. The good news is that you can try exchanging for a display which the issue is less (or more) severe.

Your best bet is to run this yellow test

http://imac.squeaked.com/test.php

Last edited:

Rbk23

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2014
So, did any of you guys keep yours and get used to the tint? I am on #7, both 13" and 15" and they all had yellow tint issues on part of the screen.

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
i can't tell where this yellow tint is at , i have a 15" retina , how can you tell if it has a yellow tint or not? cause i can't tell on mine

Rbk23

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2014
Open Finder, go to the view with the stripes and see if all the white stripes look the same tint on full screen.

You probably have it, I wouldn't go looking for it.

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
So I'm now on my 3rd Mid-2014 13" rMBP. History so far:

• 1st rMBP - Dark corner in top right corner of the screen (no tint).
  • 2nd rMBP - Dark horizontal bar 3rd from the bottom of the screen across the entire screen. Yellow/Gold colour bleed on right corner on black screen (ie when watching a movie).
  • 3rd rMBP - Perfect even backlight, no bleed but Pink/Magenta on the left of the screen, Yellow/Green on the right. All visible when web browsing, PDF reading etc. You don't have to look hard to see it, its there in regular usage.

I'm now at day 14 since I purchased the original rMBP so can't just ask for a refund anymore. I have an appointment with the Genius bar this weekend and I'm at my wits end about what to do about this. I just want a decent screen. I'm not a perfectionist but IMO if you see a defect just by glancing at the screen, its not acceptable.

I hope the Genius will just swap it out again rather than want to replace the screen. Something tells me I'll get another screen with different problems but the Magenta/Green uniformity is just not on. I hope the Genius will agree.

allisonfranz

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2014
Boston
I am a little confused about some of this.

From looking at the screen at a normal spot, some areas of the screen show yellower spots and shading than others. Adjusting the display location (forward or back) can change this somewhat.

Would this not happen on every display? Or are there displays that look uniformly white looking at the screen from any angle?

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
I got my new MBPr yesterday, and I took some shots of my screen. I don't think its terrible, but its not perfect either. What do u guys think?

LBMFUmq.jpg

iXhCU8L.jpg

Ayl2RPF.jpg

psychedelia

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2009
The best way to check this is by taking a picture of the screen with a completely black image with brightness fully up. I'd like to see the result!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.