Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

New reports from Chinese media sources (Google Translate, via G for Games) claim that the iPhone 6 has entered a final product validation testing stage ahead of mass production before its launch this fall. Apple is reportedly working with Foxconn's Zhengzhou factory to produce a small number of units to ensure quality control standards have been implemented, as the device will then be mass produced at Apple's various supply partners.

foxconn-iphone_production.jpg
Previously, a report last month claimed that Apple had already begun mass production for the iPhone 6, however it is possible that reported production issues may have led to delayed testing and output. It is also unknown whether this final testing stage is for both the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6, as Apple has reportedly had issues in producing the latter's sapphire display and battery life.

Apple's iPhone 6 is expected to be announced at a launch event on Tuesday, September 9. In addition to a larger screen, the device will likely incorporate a thinner, rounded form factor and feature a faster and more efficient A8 chip, as well as an improved camera with stabilization.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Reportedly Entering Final Quality Control Stage Ahead of Mass Production

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm sure that's just the 4.7" model. I'm hoping to see the 5.5" as well.

Either way that's good news :)

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Jony: "Alright, everyone happy with their new iPhones?"
Executive Team: *looks at the protruding camera* "ummmm...suuuurrrrreee..."

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I hope for a sapphire display cover, liquid metal bands , 2100mah battery, 6.7mm thickness , no more than 120g weight and i will not care even if they make it 100$ expensive to cover the profits by the materials used

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
now imagine a 4 inch one with better specs coming out still starting at 16GB and the 4.7 one being the delayed device coming "later this fall". oh to witness that uproar would be kinda hilarious.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Still not convinced we have seen the final raw material finishes for the rear chassis, or that the camera bulge is final.

If the camera is final, perhaps it's because Apple will sell a case (or assumes all users buy a case anyways) that compliments the rear of the phone, thus makes the camera bulge non-existent.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
I'm ready. But I'm really interested how will Apple handle this next resolution transition. How good/bad unoptimised apps will work/look (as we all know, it will take a long time for many apps to catch up, some will never be updated).

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I'm ready. But I'm really interested how will Apple handle this next resolution transition. How good/bad unoptimised apps will work/look (as we all know, it will take a long time for many apps to catch up, some will never be updated).

Perhaps a 4.7" 16:9 display, and double the resolution?

That way old apps are full screen, with text automatically upscaled, just the assets need increasing in size.

cal321

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2014
Looking forward to the inevitable stream of leaks once it enters mass production :p

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
If this is true and mass production in only just starting then supplies will be tight come the end of September. But I don't see how it was going to be any different. Sounds like there are enough significant changes to the iPhone 6 that finalizing production was always going to come down to the wire.

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
What's so big with the camrea comming out a litte? Nobody complain with the iPod touch - a few people found it to be cool as it showed the iPod was so thin it couldn't have all it's camrea inside of if!

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
Hang in there people... we're almost done with boring pictures of antennas, metal casing and Chinese assembly lines. YAWN!

The next set of endless posts will involve 747-like airplanes carrying these suckers. :rolleyes:

Wake me when they're actually available.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England

It won't take a long time. The majority of the popular apps will be ready for when the iPhone 6 is available. Hopefully we'll see a big number of apps that need to be updated!

The apps that aren't updated at all shows us that the developers of the app no longer care.

----------

I'm not updated to the latest news, so I have a question, is there any evidence of a protruding camera on the 4,7" one?

No, there is not. Recent rumours only show that the 5.5-inch will have the protruding camera, that is, if the phone exists.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
It's going to need far more than just a bigger screen and an incremental update to the camera to make me want to upgrade from my 5s.

Good. You should get two years out of a top end smartphone, especially an iPhone.

I will be strongly considering an upgrade of my off contract iPhone 5. But I don't know if I will rush this. Except for a wonky power button, my 5 works fine. I would like the touch ID unlock though. That seems a nice upgrade.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Not a chance to double..the easiest way is 960p

Why no chance?

There are lots of phones out there with 2K screens now, and if Apple doubled the resolution they would be much closer to 1080p than 2K.

Seems VERY plausible to me.

And 960p would not be the easiest way, doubling the resolution would.

iPhone 3gs -> iPhone 4
iPad 2 -> iPad 3
iPad Mini -> iPad Mini 2

It's what they've always done to make transitions easier for developers.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Still not convinced we have seen the final raw material finishes for the rear chassis, or that the camera bulge is final.

If the camera is final, perhaps it's because Apple will sell a case (or assumes all users buy a case anyways) that compliments the rear of the phone, thus makes the camera bulge non-existent.

Good point. Majority of phones seems to be in a case. I know I keep my phone in the case for the first year. My 5 is now out of the case. In a case, the camera bulge is meaningless.

redcarlsen

macrumors regular
May 22, 2014
"in before such and such comments" is the new "first" comment.
it's not clever. just useless and annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.