Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 13, 2014, 07:38 AM   #26
rols
macrumors 6502

Final quality assurance? Seems a bit late doesn't it. They sold about 10 million of the things last year in the first weekend. There's about 40 days until a probable launch, need to have say 20 million on hand, that's 500,000 a day or about 20,000 an hour every hour from now until then, 6 every second.

All to be assembled, tested, boxed, have iOS put on them at the end.

There was a rumor of 100,000 people hired to build them, say that's 4 shifts, 25,000 working each shift. So one phone gets 25,000 / 6 people seconds of build time or about an hour.

Seems a little short to me.
rols is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 07:39 AM   #27
redcarlsen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by farewelwilliams View Post
Jony: "Alright, everyone happy with their new iPhones?"
Executive Team: *looks at the protruding camera* "ummmm...suuuurrrrreee..."
i think Sir Ive must have been asleep on this one. or he's thinking about retirement so they let the new guy take a swing at design.
redcarlsen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 07:41 AM   #28
A. Dumbledore
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcarlsen View Post
"in before such and such comments" is the new "first" comment.
it's not clever. just useless and annoying.
And pointing it out doesn't just feed into it
A. Dumbledore is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 07:48 AM   #29
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIDG3T View Post
It won't take a long time. The majority of the popular apps will be ready for when the iPhone 6 is available. Hopefully we'll see a big number of apps that need to be updated!

The apps that aren't updated at all shows us that the developers of the app no longer care.

----------

No, there is not. Recent rumours only show that the 5.5-inch will have the protruding camera, that is, if the phone exists.
Most recent leaks have shown a 4.7" rear shell with a protruding camera. And it looks beautiful.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 07:50 AM   #30
jafingi
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm View Post
I'm ready. But I'm really interested how will Apple handle this next resolution transition. How good/bad unoptimised apps will work/look (as we all know, it will take a long time for many apps to catch up, some will never be updated).
I think the transition to this bigger resolution will be much more unnoticeable for the end-user than when Apple doubled the resolution.

The resolution won't be doubled, just increased. So retina-optimized (@2x) apps will look very good on the larger resolution. It won't be like jagged edges that we saw when the iPhone 4 was introduced. Of course it will look better when apps are optimized for the bigger resolution (Apple will likely introduce a @3x method), but unoptimized (iPhone 4+) apps will probably look like they do on the iPad Air, which has lower DPI than the iPhone.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 07:50 AM   #31
redcarlsen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Dumbledore View Post
And pointing it out doesn't just feed into it
quite right! but i imagine those type of people won't realize how silly their comments are on their own. someone must post it out for them.
redcarlsen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 07:53 AM   #32
SMIDG3T
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
Most recent leaks have shown a 4.7" rear shell with a protruding camera. And it looks beautiful.
I'm sure it was only the 5.5-inch.

And are you serious about it being beautiful?

I think, if it's true, I'll have to wait and see it first hand to decide that.

MacBook Pro w/ Retina display | Late 2013 Model | OS X Yosemite 10.10.1
SMIDG3T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 07:54 AM   #33
Solomani
macrumors 68000

As much a I am looking forward to buying an iPhone 6 myself….. I secretly hope…. hope hope hope hope hope…. that this "Final Quality Control Stage" is a very long drawn-out and thorough time period. I hope they comb through every little detail, make sure that any little defects are weeded out before production starts.

Kinda like a Blizzard game beta… takes forever. I can wait. Hehe.
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:01 AM   #34
dec.
macrumors 6502a

Just wondering - is the iPhone 6 the first cell phone with a protruding camera? If no - have the experiences with other phones been THAT bad that it seems to be such a major issue?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:03 AM   #35
Piggie
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serban View Post
Not a chance to double..the easiest way is 960p
From one of the leading mobile phone makers, to have a flagship 'The best phone you can make' that would be sad to be out of date screen wise from day 1.

And before anyone says "spec don't matter" Let's not forget all the SHOUTING ABOUT SPECS when Apple introduced the higher res screen years ago they called Retina, which is embarrassingly so far behind other leading brands now.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:09 AM   #36
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcarlsen View Post
"in before such and such comments" is the new "first" comment.
it's not clever. just useless and annoying.
I think it points out how the same useless and annoying comments keep popping up. You can only say the same thing so many times - we all get it.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:10 AM   #37
Cortona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIDG3T View Post
It won't take a long time. The majority of the popular apps will be ready for when the iPhone 6 is available. Hopefully we'll see a big number of apps that need to be updated!

The apps that aren't updated at all shows us that the developers of the app no longer care.

----------

No, there is not. Recent rumours only show that the 5.5-inch will have the protruding camera, that is, if the phone exists.
How do you say that 'recent' rumors only show that the 5.5" will have it? There are 0 recent rumors to suggest that. The only viable rumor period, to suggest that the 4.7" won't, but the 5.5" will, is the rumor of this purported leaked schematics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	485338  
Cortona is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:12 AM   #38
Mr Dashles
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec. View Post
Just wondering - is the iPhone 6 the first cell phone with a protruding camera? If no - have the experiences with other phones been THAT bad that it seems to be such a major issue?
The Samsung Galaxy S4 and S5 (unsure about the rest of that line) and the Nexus 5 have protruding cameras. I personally have the GS4 and it has never been an issue. People just like to complain.

Edit: I believe some Nokia Lumias have protruding cameras as well, such as the 925, 1020 and 1520.

I will admit that the 1020's camera, while nice, is a little overboard - in fact, it looks like a tumour.

Last edited by Mr Dashles; Aug 13, 2014 at 08:25 AM.
Mr Dashles is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:15 AM   #39
nando87
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortona View Post
How do you say that 'recent' rumors only show that the 5.5" will have it? There are 0 recent rumors to suggest that. The only viable rumor period, to suggest that the 4.7" won't, but the 5.5" will, is the rumor of this purported leaked schematics:

Have you realized that the drawing says 5,7''?
nando87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:23 AM   #40
Cortona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rols View Post
Final quality assurance? Seems a bit late doesn't it. They sold about 10 million of the things last year in the first weekend. There's about 40 days until a probable launch, need to have say 20 million on hand, that's 500,000 a day or about 20,000 an hour every hour from now until then, 6 every second.

There was a rumor of 100,000 people hired to build them, say that's 4 shifts, 25,000 working each shift. So one phone gets 25,000 / 6 people seconds of build time or about an hour.

They hired a bunch of robots too possibly.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
Haha no leak has shown a 4.7" rear shell with a protruding camera. Those were entirely separate parts. They merely sat the camera lens part where it would be on the camera hole of the phone, there is 0 evidence to say that will actually be like that on a 4.7" device.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafingi View Post
I think the transition to this bigger resolution will be much more unnoticeable for the end-user than when Apple doubled the resolution.

The resolution won't be doubled, just increased. So retina-optimized (@2x) apps will look very good on the larger resolution. It won't be like jagged edges that we saw when the iPhone 4 was introduced. Of course it will look better when apps are optimized for the bigger resolution (Apple will likely introduce a @3x method), but unoptimized (iPhone 4+) apps will probably look like they do on the iPad Air, which has lower DPI than the iPhone.
Let's say the transition to @3x means everything remains relatively sharp, do you think Apple will go to @4x with the iPhone 7? Would that transition be identical to this one in sharpness differences?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:24 AM   #41
xero9
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilster3k View Post
Inb4 5.5'', weird antenna design & large camera lens comments.
I laughed way too much at this comment.
xero9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:26 AM   #42
newdeal
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
It's going to need far more than just a bigger screen and an incremental update to the camera to make me want to upgrade from my 5s.
I think NFC and an easy tap to pay system using touchID will be the major selling point (other than a larger screen)
newdeal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:28 AM   #43
Cortona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando87 View Post
Have you realized that the drawing says 5,7''?
I don't think that's an actual number attributed to it, but instead the people that attained the leak attached that assuming it was 5.7"? This leak was from long ago by the way.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:28 AM   #44
cameronjpu
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
It's going to need far more than just a bigger screen and an incremental update to the camera to make me want to upgrade from my 5s.
If battery life was a problem they should just go over the top and make it physically much bigger. A battery with twice the MaH would solve any issues. Agree? Tell apple what you think about battery life by answering this poll question: http://surveymonkey.com/s/5l2mr7q
cameronjpu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:34 AM   #45
Piggie
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dashles View Post
The Samsung Galaxy S4 and S5 (unsure about the rest of that line) and the Nexus 5 have protruding cameras. I personally have the GS4 and it has never been an issue. People just like to complain.

Edit: I believe some Nokia Lumias have protruding cameras as well, such as the 925, 1020 and 1520.

I will admit that the 1020's camera, while nice, is a little overboard - in fact, it looks like a tumour.

Indeed, but the nice thing about with Android phones or Windows Mobile phones is that you do, and sit down for this bit.....

Have A Choice!

Apple makes the one phone and you either buy it, or you don't.
There is no, well I'd like the better camera, or I'd rather a smaller one, or I'd rather a larger one.

Take the one they make or don't have one.

That's the biggest negative with Apple products.
I know they won't ever do it, but if iOS was licensed, then consumers would be able to pick what hardware they liked and still enjoy iOS.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:37 AM   #46
dampfnudel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Yeah, you would've expected mass production to have begun last month for a September launch. We're already halfway into August and production still hasn't begun? If this is true, at the very least I expect a very tight supply at launch and maybe even an October release. I wonder if there was a last minute hardware issue that brought on this supposed delay in production.
dampfnudel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:38 AM   #47
pmau
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Full ACK. My guess is they already started mass production around June.
pmau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:39 AM   #48
dec.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dashles View Post

Ok thanks. Wow, so according to some here these models obviously are a complete design train wreck with an entirely ruined user experience as since they cannot be used on a flat surface (unless of course you buy "anti-wobble cases", which make the phones thicker again ), uncontrolled rocking, totally unusable for "level" apps... it's like a really nicely finished piece of furniture that looks great but rocks all over the place because of some uneven design. Boo-Hoo.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:40 AM   #49
Cortona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie View Post
Indeed, but the nice thing about with Android phones or Windows Mobile phones is that you do, and sit down for this bit.....

Have A Choice!

Apple makes the one phone and you either buy it, or you don't.
There is no, well I'd like the better camera, or I'd rather a smaller one, or I'd rather a larger one.

Take the one they make or don't have one.

That's the biggest negative with Apple products.
I know they won't ever do it, but if iOS was licensed, then consumers would be able to pick what hardware they liked and still enjoy iOS.
iOS works so well BECAUSE it's attached in function and design to Apple hardware. Apple doesn't allow much choice because they know they have some of the smartest people on the planet making the choices for the average person. Allow the average person to make changes and you have what you see when someone jailbreaks their device and absolutely slaughters the look of it with any one of the ten trillion abysmal themes. Allow the average person to make changes that affect battery life (which Apple does allow), and you have everyone crying that their battery dies too quickly, when in reality it's because they have no idea how to set it up properly, and limit the things that drain battery no matter what hardware you're using.
Cortona is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:43 AM   #50
Deadman64
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

No offense, but this isn't Apple's first rodeo. They have a process that they follow. They probably don't solidify the release date until it passes this quality control check; maybe they don't even officially send out the invites for the event until it passes.
Deadman64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion