Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
I am interested, if someone is seeing a difference.

I am not sure, but after the first startup I had the feeling 31.0.0 was running really slow.

I installed the classic mozilla theme on both, that makes it look like TenForuFox 3, with the tabs on bottom. I am not sure, if that is interferring. I noticed though, that this Classic theme (it is a different add-on for both versions) looks different. Also with 31.0.0 the three buttons on the top left (red, yellow, green, disappear or only appear half, cut from the bottom, if you open a new tab. So I switched back to 24.7.0.

Maybe it's just imagination with me... about the usability of the versions.

What do you say?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I am interested, if someone is seeing a difference.

I am not sure, but after the first startup I had the feeling 31.0.0 was running really slow.

I installed the classic mozilla theme on both, that makes it look like TenForuFox 3, with the tabs on bottom. I am not sure, if that is interferring. I noticed though, that this Classic theme (it is a different add-on for both versions) looks different. Also with 31.0.0 the three buttons on the top left (red, yellow, green, disappear or only appear half, cut from the bottom, if you open a new tab. So I switched back to 24.7.0.

Maybe it's just imagination with me... about the usability of the versions.

What do you say?
Yes, 31 is faster. If you go to tenfourfox.blogspot.com and scroll down there will be a link in one of the posts for a 31.1 pre-release. It's for iBooks and PowerBooks (G4/7450). That one is even faster.

However, it's relative. 31 is much faster than 29, but it is slightly slower than 24. Both to start and in the initial phase after loading. Once you let it run a bit though it's just as fast.

You may also want to try the Classic Theme Restorer addon. That will set things back to the way they look in 24.

I made the jump a few weeks back, but had to do it a second time because one of my addons which I was waiting for an update on, had been messed up and when I updated it was broken. So, I had to readjust from my backed up profile.

I also found some more about:config tweaks yesterday that I also applied to all of the ones I've already made which has also helped.

Last edited:

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Thanks for your reply!

I guess that Classic Theme Restorer is the one I tried, it allows to set the tabs at the bottom, but in 31.0.0 as I said, it lets the three top left buttons (red, yellow, green) disappear until you move the mouse over them. Then they will stay there, but as soon as you have two tabs opended, the lower part of the circles that the buttons are, will be cut off.

I have a classic add on for 24.7.0 installed as well, though the name is different. That seemd good to me.

On tweaks, that is something I will have to look into one time, but I am too lazy (for this particularly) at the moment.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks for your reply!

I guess that Classic Theme Restorer is the one I tried, it allows to set the tabs at the bottom, but in 31.0.0 as I said, it lets the three top left buttons (red, yellow, green) disappear until you move the mouse over them. Then they will stay there, but as soon as you have two tabs opended, the lower part of the circles that the buttons are, will be cut off.

I have a classic add on for 24.7.0 installed as well, though the name is different. That seemd good to me.

On tweaks, that is something I will have to look into one time, but I am too lazy (for this particularly) at the moment.
Yeah, that's a combination of things. One, the way OS X draws the window objects, the new Australis code and the fact that Mozilla now has what's called the Title Bar. The Title Bar just happens to mostly occupy the area where OS X draws the border of the window. Thus you get all this overlap.

My preferred way of browsing is higly customized and it took me a while to figure this out. I browse using keyboard shortcuts. In previous versions of T4Fx I hid the URL box because you can call up a dialogue box via keyboard shortcut. However, if you hide the URL box in 31 it kills the keyboard shortcut! So, I had to move the URL box out of the Title Bar (it's there by default in 31) in order to keep the shortcut. That meant my Google search box had to go. I keep the URL box and a few other icons from addons in the Bookmark bar as well as some bookmarks. I do that because the Bookmark bar is the one bar you can force to stay open when you have things set to full screen mode. I killed the Title Bar with glee. Classic Theme Restorer is the only addon I have found so far that will let you kill it.

Once the dev for AIOS (All In One Sidebar) updated his addon I was able to get my vertical sidebar back as well.

Lastly, I prefer (like in Opera) to have my tabs on bottom. And by bottom, I do not mean the Mozilla definition of bottom. I mean, the bottom of the screen. I can do that because I use Tab Mix Plus gives me that option.

So, add it all up and the screenshot below is how I browse. P.S. The second shot is normal browsing mode (non-full screen). You can see that the traffic lights are normal. That's because I've killed the Title Bar.

Attachments

• TenFourFox.png
    TenFourFox.png
    419.9 KB · Views: 108
  • TenFourFox 2.png
    TenFourFox 2.png
    344.8 KB · Views: 87

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Thanks for the screenshots. Looks very intersting!
I guess I want to keep it low/ very easy, modification wise, though. ;)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well, if you install Classic Theme Restorer, move stuff out of the Title Bar and then hide the Title Bar you should be able to get as close to what your looking for without the glitches.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Before I try what you recommended, I have to sort something out. I kind of messed things up or lets say I don't remember what I have done or what add-on has caused what, so I tried to do the stuff again. (Sorry, if the text is a bit confusing)

I had done this halfway 2-3 days ago, when I started this thread after I tested 31.

(for the pictures mind the orange number in the upper left corner! Or move the mouse over the pictures, where it says name, there it begins with the number.)

About 3-4 months ago I did something to 24.5.0 where I wanted to make it look like 3.6.28.
See 1st picture. (picture from camera, because I did a walk through video for my sister where I discovered the old design. Picture from July 27th, maybe I had been on 24.5 then, still)

Mind the rounded "backwards"-button. I think I installed this http://www.google.de/url?q=https://...QQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNEMrs0QsvvfXaA7UKxCBOq4flCu2Q
this was with 24.5 I think.
When I updated to 24.7 I got this: see 2nd picture. Mind it looks the same, but the round button seems to be square there.

I didn't notice it, I guess or I lost that round button after my last trials 3 days ago and have only now noticed.

It is not a problem, because I don't like the round button now anymore.
I also forgot (and couldn't figure out today) how I had put the tabs on bottom, I might have typed something in config or it came with one of the calssic themes or I added an addon.

NOW, today, as I tried to apply the Firefox 3 theme for FF4 again on 24.7. and 24.5 I got this: see picture 3. (Mind coloured buttons, which I don't like, looks like windows.)

-------------
I installed 31 again today and just chose "tabs on bottom" from the menu and the three circles (red, yellow, green) are not cut off anymore, when using a second tab. I don't know why. Maybe I had tried something other additionally when I started this trhead and reported about the cutted cricles.
This is how 31 looks now: see picture 4

--------------
there is an add-on that's called "classic toolbar button", the funny thing is, for me it only makes the square buttons bigger. Useles for me. (see picture 5)

--------------
Edit: oh, also in picture 4 (i.e. 31) the colours don't match anyway. I would be just satisfied, if picture 4 would look like 2.

Attachments

• 1) 24.5 round navi button.png
    1) 24.5 round navi button.png
    88.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 2) normal 24.7 tabs down.png
    2) normal 24.7 tabs down.png
    77.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 3) FF3 theme for 4+ 4.0.1.png
    3) FF3 theme for 4+ 4.0.1.png
    82.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 4) 31 after classicthemerestorer applied.png
    4) 31 after classicthemerestorer applied.png
    101.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 5) classicToolbarButton.png
    5) classicToolbarButton.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
ON a side note, since I installed 31.4 and no "tabs on bottom" and let Clasic theme restorer do everything, I don't have problems anymore with disappearing traffic light symbols.

But the reason why I come back here is, that I found this
http://blog.environmentalchemistry.com/2008/03/firefox-theme-classic-compact.html
it allows for smaller buttons (and other things).
Oh yeah, I've used Classic Compact. It's a great theme but doesn't fit in with the darks and blacks I prefer (it's white).

I've managed to achieve most of what Classic Compact does using userscripts that affect the browser itself and the Stylish addon - which allows me to enjoy that but also keep the FTDeep Dark theme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.