Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Aug 13, 2014, 04:01 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Mailbox for iOS Gains New Email Management Features, Languages

Popular email app Mailbox was today updated to version 2.1, adding several new email management features. It's now possible to print emails, mark them as spam, or mark them as unread by tapping on a new options menu denoted by three dots on the app's thread view or within individual messages.

Along with these new management tools, Mailbox has gained Passbook integration. Users can select a ticket or other attachment in the inbox, which will then be added directly to Passbook.

The app will also permanently delete messages that have been swiped to the trash and it has been updated to support 19 different languages and 24-hour time.
Quote:
Now translated into 19 languages, including Chinese (both Simplified and Traditional), Danish, Dutch, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Spanish (both European and Latin American), Swedish, Thai and English

- View spam and mark messages as spam
- Passbook support
- Permanent delete from trash and spam
- Bug fixes and performance improvements
First introduced in early 2013, Mailbox proved to be ultra popular, requiring a reservation system that restricted access to a limited number of users for several weeks. Shortly after its release, however, the app was acquired by file-sharing and storage service Dropbox, and has seen several major updates since then.

Though initially limited to supporting Gmail, Mailbox now supports additional email services like Apple's iCloud Mail.

Mailbox is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Mailbox for iOS Gains New Email Management Features, Languages
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 04:02 PM   #2
flash84x
macrumors regular

Exchange support and a desktop app next please
flash84x is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 04:03 PM   #3
Helvitis
macrumors newbie

Still no exchange support
Helvitis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 04:12 PM   #4
SuperSnake2012
macrumors 6502a

This is the best app out there to get push notifications on your Gmail without having to use the Gmail app, which I find to be underwhelming.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 04:14 PM   #5
5t3f4n
macrumors regular

This app is utterly useless if you use Dropbox with a different e-mail address.

Mailbox insists on logging me in as the same user/e-mail I am logged in with to Dropbox, but that is not the e-mail I want to use with Dropbox.
Such a retarded limitation. If anyone knows a workaround, please tell.
5t3f4n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 04:19 PM   #6
octothorpe8
macrumors 6502

That new little menu highlighted above is really hidden — and am I missing something or "stars" gone? I just supposedly starred an email and don't see it reflected in the interface at all...
octothorpe8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 04:27 PM   #7
smizzle
macrumors member

Sound like a nice update, but what I really want is for the desktop version to be released!
smizzle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 04:29 PM   #8
SteveLV702
macrumors regular

can't use until add exchange support
SteveLV702 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 04:39 PM   #9
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

I am waiting for the desktop version as well. Apple's Mail app works great for me in iOS. But still looking for a better solution on my laptop than the Mail.app
Old Aug 13, 2014, 05:03 PM   #10
cornycopier
macrumors newbie

Does the app still suck the mail from google's servers into its own and send pushes and so on? I'm just not sure I want my mail being pulled to another server.
cornycopier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 05:22 PM   #11
PocketSand11
macrumors 6502a

Am I missing something, or is this just a less compatible version of Mail?
Quote:
Though initially limited to supporting Gmail, Mailbox now supports email services like Yahoo and iCloud.
So it used to only work with a mail service I don't use, and now it works with some I use but not my primary one. Why can it not just use a generic IMAP server?
Fun fact: iPhone 5 aspect ratio = 640/1136 ≈ .5634. 9/16 = .5625. 639/1136 = .5625. Its screen is exactly one pixel too wide to be 9:16.
PocketSand11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 05:33 PM   #12
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

I never did get my desktop beta invite. So now I use Dispatch, which also got some new updates today. I use Apple's Mail on my Mac and iPad.

Mailbox didn't end up working for me to be honest. I just kept stashing stuff into folders instead of taking the whole GTD seriously.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 06:21 PM   #13
VPrime
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post

Mailbox didn't end up working for me to be honest. I just kept stashing stuff into folders instead of taking the whole GTD seriously.
I notice this happening to me as well. Originally I was into the whole inbox zero thing, but now I just find my self cheating and hide things in some folder.

Though I do find it does make me more productive and forces me to notice emails I keep putting off.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:24 PM   #14
cornycopier
macrumors newbie

I remember the whole "inbox zero" thing and thinking, as I saw people celebrating it by hiding mails in folders etc, that it was a bit of a cheat. Lol. No matter the mail app that I use (currently just the gmail app), I'm pretty much always at inbox zero. I hate having mails hanging over my head or that are just not tucked where I like them. They're all always read and acted upon. I'll ask again, though, do they still copy mail to their own servers or does the app now just act as a front end for what's on the google servers?
cornycopier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:45 PM   #15
bigreddog
macrumors newbie

I've never been able to get my Yahoo accounts up and running via Mailbox. I'm pretty sure there's a Mailbox/Yahoo server issue there and it's not just me. Has anyone had success with this?
bigreddog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:55 PM   #16
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreddog View Post
I've never been able to get my Yahoo accounts up and running via Mailbox. I'm pretty sure there's a Mailbox/Yahoo server issue there and it's not just me. Has anyone had success with this?
It doesn't work: http://www.mailboxapp.com/help/#/4390

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornycopier View Post
I remember the whole "inbox zero" thing and thinking, as I saw people celebrating it by hiding mails in folders etc, that it was a bit of a cheat. Lol. No matter the mail app that I use (currently just the gmail app), I'm pretty much always at inbox zero. I hate having mails hanging over my head or that are just not tucked where I like them. They're all always read and acted upon. I'll ask again, though, do they still copy mail to their own servers or does the app now just act as a front end for what's on the google servers?
http://www.mailboxapp.com/help/#/4373
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 07:23 AM   #17
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Any support for personal domain IMAP? I didn't like Google having access to my email so I bought my own domain that has nothing to do with any search providers.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 08:15 AM   #18
palmerized
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorpe8 View Post
That new little menu highlighted above is really hidden ó and am I missing something or "stars" gone? I just supposedly starred an email and don't see it reflected in the interface at all...
I was wondering the same. No visual indicator for "stars" at all...
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:42 PM   #19
KALLT
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Any support for personal domain IMAP? I didn't like Google having access to my email so I bought my own domain that has nothing to do with any search providers.
Not yet. Mailbox is an amazing app, but their development is almost aggravatingly slow. It’s Gmail and iCloud for now. I don’t understand their priorities (why no generic IMAP first?) and why it takes them such a long time. iCloud support was added last year, yet no other accounts followed so far. This app is almost 1.5 years old, my patience with them is reaching an end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreddog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Wow, I didn’t know that Yahoo! actually blocks certain e-mail applications. That greatly changes my perspective of Yahoo! Mail.
KALLT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:52 PM   #20
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALLT View Post
Not yet. Mailbox is an amazing app, but their development is almost aggravatingly slow. Itís Gmail and iCloud for now. I donít understand their priorities (why no generic IMAP first?) and why it takes them such a long time. iCloud support was added last year, yet no other accounts followed so far. This app is almost 1.5 years old, my patience with them is reaching an end.

Wow, I didnít know that Yahoo! actually blocks certain e-mail applications. That greatly changes my perspective of Yahoo! Mail.
Hard to say if it blocks as much as perhaps either doesn't support something or has some other security guards in play that apps can't just get around without Yahoo!'s agreement.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:15 AM   #21
Traverse
macrumors 68020

Ehh, I see no reason not to use the default apps. They are far more integrated with the system and you can open attachments in Dropbox and other apps.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 07:55 AM   #22
iHack13
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to iHack13
Mailbox? Isn't that the app that was copied by Apple and was renamed to Mail app in iOS 8 ?
iHack13 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion