Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular email app Mailbox was today updated to version 2.1, adding several new email management features. It's now possible to print emails, mark them as spam, or mark them as unread by tapping on a new options menu denoted by three dots on the app's thread view or within individual messages.

mailboxupdate.jpg
Along with these new management tools, Mailbox has gained Passbook integration. Users can select a ticket or other attachment in the inbox, which will then be added directly to Passbook.

The app will also permanently delete messages that have been swiped to the trash and it has been updated to support 19 different languages and 24-hour time.
Now translated into 19 languages, including Chinese (both Simplified and Traditional), Danish, Dutch, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Spanish (both European and Latin American), Swedish, Thai and English

- View spam and mark messages as spam
- Passbook support
- Permanent delete from trash and spam
- Bug fixes and performance improvements
First introduced in early 2013, Mailbox proved to be ultra popular, requiring a reservation system that restricted access to a limited number of users for several weeks. Shortly after its release, however, the app was acquired by file-sharing and storage service Dropbox, and has seen several major updates since then.

Though initially limited to supporting Gmail, Mailbox now supports additional email services like Apple's iCloud Mail.

Mailbox is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Mailbox for iOS Gains New Email Management Features, Languages

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
This is the best app out there to get push notifications on your Gmail without having to use the Gmail app, which I find to be underwhelming.

5t3f4n

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
This app is utterly useless if you use Dropbox with a different e-mail address.

Mailbox insists on logging me in as the same user/e-mail I am logged in with to Dropbox, but that is not the e-mail I want to use with Dropbox.
Such a retarded limitation. If anyone knows a workaround, please tell.

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
That new little menu highlighted above is really hidden — and am I missing something or "stars" gone? I just supposedly starred an email and don't see it reflected in the interface at all...

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I am waiting for the desktop version as well. Apple's Mail app works great for me in iOS. But still looking for a better solution on my laptop than the Mail.app

cornycopier

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2014
Does the app still suck the mail from google's servers into its own and send pushes and so on? I'm just not sure I want my mail being pulled to another server.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Am I missing something, or is this just a less compatible version of Mail?
Though initially limited to supporting Gmail, Mailbox now supports email services like Yahoo and iCloud.
So it used to only work with a mail service I don't use, and now it works with some I use but not my primary one. Why can it not just use a generic IMAP server?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I never did get my desktop beta invite. So now I use Dispatch, which also got some new updates today. I use Apple's Mail on my Mac and iPad.

Mailbox didn't end up working for me to be honest. I just kept stashing stuff into folders instead of taking the whole GTD seriously.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Mailbox didn't end up working for me to be honest. I just kept stashing stuff into folders instead of taking the whole GTD seriously.

I notice this happening to me as well. Originally I was into the whole inbox zero thing, but now I just find my self cheating and hide things in some folder.:eek:

Though I do find it does make me more productive and forces me to notice emails I keep putting off.

cornycopier

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2014
I remember the whole "inbox zero" thing and thinking, as I saw people celebrating it by hiding mails in folders etc, that it was a bit of a cheat. Lol. No matter the mail app that I use (currently just the gmail app), I'm pretty much always at inbox zero. I hate having mails hanging over my head or that are just not tucked where I like them. They're all always read and acted upon. I'll ask again, though, do they still copy mail to their own servers or does the app now just act as a front end for what's on the google servers?

bigreddog

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2014
I've never been able to get my Yahoo accounts up and running via Mailbox. I'm pretty sure there's a Mailbox/Yahoo server issue there and it's not just me. Has anyone had success with this?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've never been able to get my Yahoo accounts up and running via Mailbox. I'm pretty sure there's a Mailbox/Yahoo server issue there and it's not just me. Has anyone had success with this?
It doesn't work: http://www.mailboxapp.com/help/#/4390

----------

I remember the whole "inbox zero" thing and thinking, as I saw people celebrating it by hiding mails in folders etc, that it was a bit of a cheat. Lol. No matter the mail app that I use (currently just the gmail app), I'm pretty much always at inbox zero. I hate having mails hanging over my head or that are just not tucked where I like them. They're all always read and acted upon. I'll ask again, though, do they still copy mail to their own servers or does the app now just act as a front end for what's on the google servers?
http://www.mailboxapp.com/help/#/4373

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Any support for personal domain IMAP? I didn't like Google having access to my email so I bought my own domain that has nothing to do with any search providers.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Any support for personal domain IMAP? I didn't like Google having access to my email so I bought my own domain that has nothing to do with any search providers.

Not yet. Mailbox is an amazing app, but their development is almost aggravatingly slow. It’s Gmail and iCloud for now. I don’t understand their priorities (why no generic IMAP first?) and why it takes them such a long time. iCloud support was added last year, yet no other accounts followed so far. This app is almost 1.5 years old, my patience with them is reaching an end.

Wow, I didn’t know that Yahoo! actually blocks certain e-mail applications. That greatly changes my perspective of Yahoo! Mail.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not yet. Mailbox is an amazing app, but their development is almost aggravatingly slow. It’s Gmail and iCloud for now. I don’t understand their priorities (why no generic IMAP first?) and why it takes them such a long time. iCloud support was added last year, yet no other accounts followed so far. This app is almost 1.5 years old, my patience with them is reaching an end.

Wow, I didn’t know that Yahoo! actually blocks certain e-mail applications. That greatly changes my perspective of Yahoo! Mail.
Hard to say if it blocks as much as perhaps either doesn't support something or has some other security guards in play that apps can't just get around without Yahoo!'s agreement.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Ehh, I see no reason not to use the default apps. They are far more integrated with the system and you can open attachments in Dropbox and other apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.