Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I have several Android friends who mock the iPhone regularly, but not one of them has a Samsung phone. One did, but he got rid of it and traded it for a Nexus. Samsung is catering to the wrong people with these advertisements. The "Apple hating" crowd won't switch to an iPhone, but wouldn't hesitate to switch amongst other Android phones. A lot of Galaxy users however would likely switch back to iPhone, especially once it gets bigger.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So basically Samsung's target market is fanboys and their goal is to entice flame wars in the comments sections on tech sites. If they were confident about sales of their own products (or not scared you know what less about a bigger iPhone) there would be no need for these ads. Though I'm not sure how these ads take market share from Xaiomi in China.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Still find it pretty funny how Samsung take to attacking Apple's users, their potential customers, rather than Apple themselves. So smooth.

Like Apple did with the mac v PC adds? PC user is the dork while mac user is the cool hipster.

More hypocrisy at its finest on MR.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
Everyone I know with a galaxy, is always complaining about poor battery life. So I don't know what this is supposed to prove.

My friend had to get a battery that was twice the size of their GS4....pretty funny watching them walking around with that brick, actually. :D

Iamthinking

Suspended
Jul 31, 2010
I don't go to many airports, so can't really say how many people with iPhones are "wall huggers". However, I did see a guy just today crouched next to an outlet at the mall. The phone he was changing was a samsung galaxy.

Another thought- perhaps people at airports have been using their iphone so much during their travels that they need to get a quick recharge at the airport. I know this was the case for me the last time I travelled by air. :)

....Iamthinking.

RoyalElephant

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2013
The Samsung phones are just as power hungry if not more, and when not in "ultra power saving mode" they also seem to lose more battery on standby than iPhones do.

But, in some ways, such as when wi-fi hotspot if active I find samsung devices such as their Galaxy S4 and S5, in my experience seem to lose less battery power than an iPhone would with it's wi-fi hotspot enabled and in-use.

Overall, You'll have to charge any high-end smartphone at least about once a day if you use it heavily.

The truth is Samsung is terrified because their position at the top is extremely precarious. It's not just the iPhone they have to deal with but every other manufacture of high-end Android phones is aiming for the top and they're all pretty well matched.

I actually love the Galaxy S5 and I own one, but I still can't stand it when companies and people bash the iPhone for issues every other high end smartphone has.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Everyone I know with a galaxy, is always complaining about poor battery life. So I don't know what this is supposed to prove.

Not supposed to prove anything--it's supposed to mislead. My Samsung-using friends, with phones newer than my iPhone 5, run out way faster than I do.

Samsung still has their money :)

There's some truth in there too, though: all those stats that people use their iPhones more, especially for network usage? Well, using your phone doesn't come without some battery usage as well. Anything that discourages use is, if you think about it, good for battery life.

(Also amusing to read Samsung-allied posters taking this topic so personally... and then calling the kettle black!)

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK
Like Apple did with the mac v PC adds? PC user is the dork while mac user is the cool hipster.

More hypocrisy at its finest on MR.

They were a personification of the two computers, not the users. The PC itself was the dork, not the PC user. Samsung however are basically saying "Hey iPhone fans, you're stupid because you won't use our phones".

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
It is too bad Samsung doesn't have anything positive to say about their own product and feels they must instead resort to mud slinging and negative ads. It doesn't make me want to consider their products. And no, I don't have an iPhone so yes, I am Samsung's target audience.

----------

Never watched those either. Negative ads are a waste.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
No offense, Samsung, but only an idiot would be in an airport and purposely avoid not recharging their iPhone/iPad while sitting on their rear ends waiting for their flight to depart.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
But, but… but look how thin our iPhones are. Sure we may have to hug the wall because we lack room for batteries like those Samsung uses, but Samsung can't keep up with our iPhone's thinness. And what's important: getting to use a phone in situations where we haven't been able to find a charge at the usual time or having the thinnest phone? :rolleyes:

Cue Billy Crystal as Fernando: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0RTD7250II

More seriously: I know this thread is going to fatten up with people attacking Samsung, this message and spinning it like it's an attack on Apple product users but I witness this very thing first hand when traveling and my family- all iPhone owners- are hunting for airport juice as soon as we get off a plane, literally hugging a wall just like it's shown there. For us, there's tangible, stinging truth in this ad.

Sure, there's also Android phones hunting for juice too but I would love to see Apple take this particular issue on in full, pairing iOS and Apple hardware optimizations with a comparably (bigger) battery (which doesn't mean iPhones have to get thicker). The truth that underlies the message of this commercial is much like the truth that underlied the Mac vs. PC ads- both resonate because of that truth.

If you travel with an iPhone and haven't ever had to hug a wall, good for you. But it happens. A lot. I see it and do it myself. I'd gladly trade some "thinnest ever" one-time hype for a bigger battery that would benefit us for the life of the device; 5s is plenty thin and yet 6 appears to be going for "thinnest". Why? Because thin is innovation? Because thin will deliver more benefit over time? Because the onerous thickness of 5s just had to be addressed? Because that one-time "wow!" effect in the launch presentation is worth all the subsequent wall-hugging? Because we want to pay more for a battery case too (so that we get the battery life we actually need)?

Last edited:

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I love watching all you get your panties in a bunch over this stuff. I hope I'm never so narrow minded that I cling to one brand. Samsung and pretty much every Android phone has the iPhone beat in battery life, maybe not in battery efficiency, but definitely in overall battery life.
Yes if Apple were to put a 3,000mah battery in an iPhone with the same current optimizations it would likely beat an Android phone, but they don't and that's the problem.

Okay, so you're admitting the iOS is probably more power efficient than Android and the like. But at the same time, Apple goes a knock for not having bigger batteries? I'm confused. Shouldn't the best power efficiency be the ultimate end goal? You need to remember that there's so many factors that come into play for how long a battery's charge will last. Most users don't have a clue how to manage that, despite significant investment by Apple to make it easy to do.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
iPhones have smaller batteries, but they also charge A LOT faster.

That is actually not true. Can tell you don't actually use android phones.

64538.png

Last edited:

Lerxt

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
The funny thing about this discussion is that we all know that the people posting "hey this is right/clever etc" are very likely part of the paid Samesung internet army. It actually works against anyone believing anything genuinely positive written about Android or Samesung.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada

Go watch the PC vs Mac ads again. All of them. A PC user would not upgrade himself. A Mac user would not install a new OS on himself. A Mac user would not describe another person as its user.

If you are unable to understand the personifications of the PC and the Mac in those ads, it's your loss. Apple never attacked the potential switchers, they attacked the OS of the other company.

What Samsung is thinking of achieving here is quite strange. They're basically spitting on people and then asking them to use their products instead. That's just stupid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.