Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kimovski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Macau
iFile causing my phone and ipad exactly the same symptoms:
it freezes and sometimes freezes the whole ios, then a hard reset is needed.

What I did:
1.Put a mp4 file via ifunbox to general storage folder.
2.Play the mp4 file and stop it. Try to play it again.
3.Freezes
You can try it.

Version:
iFile 2.0.1-1
afc2add 1.01

This never happened on 7.0.6.
Or is just me??? :eek:

Syndicate0017

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2013
Afc2add is not compatible with 7.1.x. You should remove it and see if it resolves your issue. I'd recommend not using that protocol at all, but if you must, Apple File Conduit 2 is compatible

iamangeln

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
Afc2add is not compatible with 7.1.x. You should remove it and see if it resolves your issue. I'd recommend not using that protocol at all, but if you must, Apple File Conduit 2 is compatible

not sure when it was added, but theres an updated version for 7.1.x now

DheerajR

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
same here, exact problem, just jailbroke iphone 5 on 7.1.2 with pangu(1.2)
I copied some video file(mp4) to it and played and then stopped it and when I try to open the video file again(or any other video file) it won't play and freezes, I had to force reboot phone(power+home) :/
I never had this kinda issue when on 7.0.x!! I have iPad air on 7.0.4 jailbroken, but it won't happen in that!

I think 7.1.2 has broken the ifile compatibility, the developer need to update the ifile for 7.1-7.1.x

I've also emailed the developer(carsten heinelt) about this 12 days back! haven't got any reply.

Also, on 7.1.2, I can't send any files from ifile through bluetooth to any iOS version devices! :/ but can receive files from any iOS version devices to my 7.1.2 devices!!
Do anyone of you also have this "bluetooth" problem??

Carsten, please update the iFile app if you're seeing this...!!

Last edited:

ckong

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
Yeah. iFile 2.0.1-1 freezes iOS 7.1.2 when playing .mp4 files. The only recovery is a complete reboot when it happens. I kind of don't trust iFile anymore for anything because of this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the Dev fixes it soon.

On a side note, other file managers work fine. I bought Filza and am using that now instead of iFile. The interface looks cleaner to me. I installed my first .deb file with it a couple of days ago and it worked fine.

For other file managers, you could use something from the AppStore. I found FileApp Pro is a good choice if you don't mind staying within the applications directory structure. It's companion program on Windows "DiskAid" is top-notch.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
FWIW, iFile also crashes every single time i close it to the background. After a very short period of time, CrashReporter sends a notification informing me of the crash. 100% of the time.

Other than that, I don't have any issues with the app itself. Not sure about this playing mp4 video issue, but whether iFile is launched "fresh" or it crashes after closing and then I reopen it without killing it from multitasking tray, it works fine for me.

hidefguy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
glad but not glad to hear that i'm not the only one having this issue. I restored and jail broke and only installed ifile but same problem. hope they fix this soon.

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
FWIW, iFile also crashes every single time i close it to the background.
That's happened to me since day 1 of the release for iOS 7. I read a post somewhere with someone explaining that it was iFile, itself, doing that on purpose to keep from running perpetually in the background. I don't remember where I saw that and I don't know if it's even true.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
That's happened to me since day 1 of the release for iOS 7. I read a post somewhere with someone explaining that it was iFile, itself, doing that on purpose to keep from running perpetually in the background. I don't remember where I saw that and I don't know if it's even true.

Oh wow thanks for this update. That is really interesting. I did not know that. I only came across the crashing because I installed the newly updated (and pretty awesome) CrashReporter for a couple weeks to do some debugging and every single time I hit the home button, a few seconds later I got the CrashReporter notification.

Thanks for the update. I wonder why the dev can't fix that. Seems like a hacky way to close the app. Very interesting.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Oh wow thanks for this update. That is really interesting. I did not know that. I only came across the crashing because I installed the newly updated (and pretty awesome) CrashReporter for a couple weeks to do some debugging and every single time I hit the home button, a few seconds later I got the CrashReporter notification.

Thanks for the update. I wonder why the dev can't fix that. Seems like a hacky way to close the app. Very interesting.

Might be why cydia doesn't run in the background?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
That may be true. And if it is, then the dev should close iFile the same way Cydia is closed because Cydia never crashes after hitting the home button. Either way, it's pretty strange. :confused:

cydia doesn't run in the background when you exit the app

if you're playing an mp3 file, iFile still continues playing the music file in the background when you exit the app

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
cydia doesn't run in the background when you exit the app

if you're playing an mp3 file, iFile still continues playing the music file in the background when you exit the app

On yea good point. I forgot about that feature. I haven't used that in years. So the issue seems to be apps that run as root with backgrounding capabilities have issues closing correctly in iOS 7.x.

Yea I guess that must be it. I can't think of any other programs that run as root that also allow backgrounding. And if they do exist, it sounds like they would impact the battery pretty strongly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.