Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

savoirfaire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2003
New England
Hi, guys - Anyone know how to get the serial numbers for iphones if they are not activated?

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
The serial numbers are printed on the sim tray.
Or dial that number on the emergency phone call screen and hit call *#06#

I have two iPhones (both 5S), and neither have the serial number (or any other info) printed or engraved on the SIM tray.

After checking my collection of iPhones, the SIM trays for iPhone 5S, 5 an 4S do not have any printing. The iPhone 4 does.

Last edited:

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Hi, guys - My brother just bought a couple of unlocked, unactivated iPhones from his job. They were used as part of a film production so basically just props. They said they need to keep a record of the serial numbers, though. Anyone know how to get the serial numbers for the phones if they are not activated?

How about the imei's instead? They are on the back of each phone.

savoirfaire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2003
New England
How about the imei's instead? They are on the back of each phone.

They wanted the serial number. Something about that's their policy.

Thanks for the suggestions. The *#06# trick only gives the IMEI which is printed on the back of the phone anyway.

Anyway, my brother found out he could do it this way... he plugged each iPhone into his MBP and after iTunes opened, he held down Ctrl and clicked Help, then About iTunes. A small screen pops up and the IMEI and serial numbers eventually scroll past.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I have two iPhones (both 5S), and neither have the serial number (or any other info) printed or engraved on the SIM tray.

After checking my collection of iPhones, the SIM trays for iPhone 5S, 5 an 4S do not have any printing. The iPhone 4 does.

I think they stopped printing them on the sim tray after the 5S and have them in the back instead.
But the IMEI is just as good as the serial identifier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.