Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:44 AM   #26
stuffradio
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmini View Post
No it doesn't.

It sounds like Apple has 1 flagship model, and 1 revised model for the $99 price point.....just like last year.

And in terms of flagship model, just like EVERY year.

There is no 5.5. There never was.

Parts Leaks: Enough to build a working 4.7.....Not a single piece from 5.5.
You are not Apple. Only Apple can say whether there is or not. I bet you would go back and say you were always thinking Apple was going to release a 5.5" phone if Apple announced it.
stuffradio is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:45 AM   #27
yaxomoxay
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanBadApple View Post
If apple would just announce it already, then they wouldn't have to worry about all this secrecy bulls***.

The whole phone has basically already been leaked.

It would badly damage the sales of the current iPhone lineup.
Everyone knows that a new iPhone is going to be shipped soon, but if they announce it and they are not ready to ship it, a lot of people will stop buying iphones until the new one comes out.
Even if they announce that next iPhone will be ready in 2017, as soon as the company officially acknowledge it people will react accordingly and wait for the "next model".
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:46 AM   #28
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Apple emphasizing that the new device may not necessarily be called "iPhone 6"
I would laugh so hard if that happened. All the people think they know everything about the new iPhone. I would be like "you've learnt your lesson, next time wait for Apple to speak."

I'm glad this matter is resolved though. No need to have stuff like this souring an iPhone launch.

iPhone Air (or just iPhone - without a number) is all possible.
Apple can't call it iPhone (6th Gen) as the idiots will call it iPhone 6 just like people called the iPad 4th gen, the iPad 4 wrongly.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
You are not Apple. Only Apple can say whether there is or not. I bet you would go back and say you were always thinking Apple was going to release a 5.5" phone if Apple announced it.
Thank you. Sir you understand it perfectly. We can guess based on rumours. But only Apple can confirm. I'm glad at least one other person out there understands this.

Last edited by the8thark; Aug 14, 2014 at 10:59 AM.
the8thark is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:48 AM   #29
AppleInLVX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
What's the problem exactly? If that's what they do for all devices then surely there's nothing wrong here, except highlighting Apple's bizarre secrecy? I mean who knew there would be a new iPhone this year.
Probably the issue is in what can be extrapolated from the information. Just in this thread, people are now speculating it's proof of a smaller and larger one.

Although I suppose that's all it amounts to--speculation. However, we do now know of two distinct products, which we didn't know for sure before. Still dunno why that's an *issue* per se, but this is Apple we're talking about.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:48 AM   #30
mazz0
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to mazz0
I can see why they'd be cross - nobody had heard anything about there being two models of iPhone 6 until then!
mazz0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:55 AM   #31
TallManNY
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
What's the problem exactly? If that's what they do for all devices then surely there's nothing wrong here, except highlighting Apple's bizarre secrecy? I mean who knew there would be a new iPhone this year.
They don't tweet all devices. Or probably any devices.
If this slows iPhone 5s and 5 sales in Thailand by 10% over the next two months (because people realize that the 6 is that close), then it will cost Apple a few million. It is definitely worth the price of a plane ticket to have a chat.
But the simple solution is just to do this process after the September announcement and if that delays Thailand iPhone sales by a month, so be it. It isn't like Apple can satisfy world demand for the first few months anyway. So there might as well be a shortage in Thailand.
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:55 AM   #32
aduzik
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappaknight View Post
Honestly, it could be two sizes, or two phones for two standards of cellular networks again.
Or it could be the successor to the iPhone 5S and the successor to the iPhone 5C.
aduzik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:55 AM   #33
iSee
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnchar View Post
I can see them, however, delaying the release of the iPhone 6s in Thailand long enough to prevent similar disclosures in the next release cycle.
Right. More drastic measures would just reflect poorly on Apple. Moving Thailand back to the second launch wave -- where they can't disrupt Apple's launch plans -- of the *next* release strikes the right balance, I think.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:57 AM   #34
cpg716
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmini View Post
No it doesn't.

It sounds like Apple has 1 flagship model, and 1 revised model for the $99 price point.....just like last year.

And in terms of flagship model, just like EVERY year.

There is no 5.5. There never was.

Parts Leaks: Enough to build a working 4.7.....Not a single piece from 5.5.
Did you miss the stories where the parts leaked for a 5.5 version??

1. Home Button Flex - August leak
2. 14cm (5.5in) LCD display component - June leak
3. 5.5 inch Logic board - July leak

So what are you talking about?!? There have been even more parts leaked then what I listed.

So how do you think parts haven't leaked?
cpg716 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:57 AM   #35
Hustler1337
macrumors 6502a

Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't it standard practice for NBTC to publicly announce that a mobile phone device is planned to be launched from a specific manufacturer?

I'm guessing the point of contention here is that Apple are not happy that NBTC mentioned the name "iPhone 6"?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:58 AM   #36
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieaus View Post
"a1586" & "a1524"

the difference is 62, which means 4.7" 128gb and 4.7" 64gb
128-64=64
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:58 AM   #37
BruiserB
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloa View Post
So Apple doesn't agree with the law of the land and throws all its toys out of the pram. That's mature, perhaps one of its vast army of lawyers should have checked the laws in that country first....
Somehow I don't think the law of the land calls for public notification via Twitter.
BruiserB is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:59 AM   #38
AX338
macrumors Demi-God

Wow! two iPhones? I had no idea.
AX338 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:02 AM   #39
sdugoten
macrumors member

Quote:
The 5.5" doesn't exist...at least it wouldn't exist in the September Launch.

The model numbers for iphone always stay within a short range for the same model. A1586 is no doubt a new series because it is not within the same range as before. However, A1524 is within the range of Iphone 5S and 5C only, so A1524 most likely is a iphone 6C or iphone 5CS. New phone series like 5S -> 5 > 4S -> 4 , ALWAYS have a model number jump which the gap is large enough to see it is a new version. (with the only exception for China only model , which none of us really concern about because they are China only)

Lets look at this:

Iphone 5S
A1533 or A1457 or A1530: iPhone 5s (GSM model)
A1533 or A1453: iPhone 5s (CDMA model)
A1518 or A1528 or A1530: iPhone 5s (GSM model China)

Iphone 5C
A1532 or A1507 or A1529: iPhone 5c (GSM model)
A1532 or A1456: iPhone 5c (CDMA model)
A1516 or A1526 or A1529: iPhone 5c (GSM model China)

Iphone 5
A1428: iPhone 5 (GSM model)
A1429: iPhone 5 (GSM and CDMA model)
A1442: iPhone 5 (CDMA model, China)

Iphone 4S
A1387: iPhone 4s (CDMA model)
A1387: iPhone 4s (GSM model)
A1431: iPhone 4s (GSM model China)

Iphone 4
A1349: iPhone 4 (CDMA model)
A1332: iPhone 4 (GSM model)

Last edited by sdugoten; Aug 14, 2014 at 11:35 AM.
sdugoten is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:04 AM   #40
Skika
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post
iPhone Maxi and an iPad Mini Air
My god these sound absolutelydisgusting
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:04 AM   #41
iSee
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I think speculating on what Apple could or should release next is pretty much the point of posting on rumor threads.

The lack of parts leaks for a 5.5" device is pretty strong evidence that a 5.5" isn't coming any time soon. Either that or Apple had somehow created a nearly leak-proof manufacturing process. I know which one I think is more likely.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:05 AM   #42
skinned66
macrumors 6502

Remind me not to double down at any Thai blackjack tables.
skinned66 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:06 AM   #43
EldonChew
macrumors member

Apple has a HQ in Singapore?
EldonChew is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:09 AM   #44
kupkakez
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
My god these sound absolutelydisgusting
THIS. What is the obsession with wanting to call the big iPhone an iPhone Maxi or iPhone air? Seriously? Like a maxi pad or a maxi dress. What's wrong with just calling it iPhone, why do we need to tack on something after it?

Also on topic, who cares if Thailand "leak" the fact that there was going to be two models? Hasn't macrumors and every other apple blog been yapping it about for like a year now? It's not like Thailand disclosed anything remotely important or something we didn't know.

Don't like it Apple don't see your products there. Simple. Or make Thailand wait until after the launch.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:09 AM   #45
Rogifan
macrumors G3

I'd love it if Apple got rid of the numbering for phone. They've done it with iPad, now do it with iPhone.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:10 AM   #46
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
...with Apple emphasizing that the new device may not necessarily be called "iPhone 6" but otherwise resolving the matter.
Obviously, if there is a 5.5" model it will be dubbed the iPhone Kardashian due to its big a$$ footprint.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:12 AM   #47
infernohellion
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldonChew View Post
Apple has a HQ in Singapore?
"Apple South Asia" HQ. They have a number of "South Asia" subsidiaries.

Just like in Europe they used to have a regional HQ in Ireland (or France?)
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:13 AM   #48
GeneralChang
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
You fishing for these?

I hear they’re good eatin’
The guy's managed to garner a following and a catchphrase on a forum. That in itself is pretty impressive.
GeneralChang is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:15 AM   #49
BassPlayer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Freeman View Post
It will be iPhone Air and iPhone Pro....
Yes, I read this in your voice.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:15 AM   #50
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
I'm boycotting Thailand over this "iPhone 6" name leak.

Instead I'll spend my time on Macrumors looking at dozens of photos of the iPhone 6 front, back, 3rd party cases and every conceivable internal component from every conceivable angle, reading rumours about how many millions of these each manufacturer is making..

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion