Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
Apple is already making insane profit from the current iPhones. A higher price is going to piss off a lot of people.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
Why does this keep getting said? There's nothing further from the truth. The 5c is huge. I see it all the time "in the wild"

Agree..and whoever gets it - its guaranteed upgrades for a minimum of 3 more years - crap the A5's are still supported now

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Didn't the 5C bomb? What's the point in confusing consumers and hurting the brand with garbage devices that nobody wants?

Uh, nope it didn't bomb. In fact it was either the 2nd or 3rd best selling smartphone at all major carriers here in the US. First in all cases being the 5S.

And nothing about it is "garbage".

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
How would they differentiate the higher end models from the lower end models? Especially if there is no difference that you can see or feel. Hard to imagine Apple creating a higher end model with the only difference being higher quality screen material. Weird.

There's no way they'll tack on an extra $100 to make up for what will likely be a $3-$5 increase in the cost of the "glass".

The whole price increase thing is ridiculous. It's probably just a yield thing. We'll see sapphire on the 5.5" but not the 4.7" this go around. Then next year the 4.7" will get sapphire.

alfonsog

Contributor
Jul 17, 2002
Cape Coral, FL
I think the new iPhones are going to be more expensive, even the base 4.7" screen one. Apple isn't about increasing the size and keeping the same prices on anything. I think we'll be seeing the top phone being over $1000 for the first time.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
How often do you see scratched phone screen vs cracked?

Marketing buzz.

We need ones that don't break

They all break....that's, at this point, not really all that possible. I, however, would love a display that can't be scratched. No more screen protectors. My 5S actually seemed to get scratched pretty easily - never had that problem before.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I think the new iPhones are going to be more expensive, even the base 4.7" screen one. Apple isn't about increasing the size and keeping the same prices on anything. I think we'll be seeing the top phone being over $1000 for the first time.

I respectfully disagree. I doubt an increase in display size will affect the BOM THAT much. Especially when you take into account the improvements in manufacturing and annual cost improvements in other parts/materials. Hence why every year they pack more into the phones and every year they stay the same price.

The 5S actually saw better margins than its predecessor - roughly 69-70%. Even if the BOM increases from $199 to $220 (a big jump), keeping the $649 base price point would yield margins of 66%.

The margins go up as the storage increases because $100 is overkill for the extra memory.

They'll also find some way to refresh the 5S that makes it cheaper to put together for high margins (like the 5C - it's margins were somewhere in the mid-high 70s%).

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Didn't the 5C bomb? What's the point in confusing consumers and hurting the brand with garbage devices that nobody wants?

The 5c hardly bombed. It didn't do as well as the 5s models but it was hardly a failure.

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
How often do you see scratched phone screen vs cracked?

That's actually pretty funny. I see a ton of cracked phone displays yet I'm not sure how people manage to break them by accident. I owned tons of phones over the last decade and I never ever had a cracked screen. My iPhone 3G for example survived a drop from one floor to the other and my iPhone 4S survived a flipper game with an entire room after I dropped it and so it bounced all over the place.

Huracan

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
I'm personally fine with the glass we have on the phones now. I am not going to complain if they use sapphire for the display, but in my case I wouldn't pay more if the only improvement is the sapphire. Anyway, we'll know better in a few weeks. I'm personally interested in the improvements on voice quality (VoLTE, etc.), better camera, faster processor, more memory, more storage. Definitely more storage, and any incremental improvement in the fingerprint sensor, which currently works quite well. Sapphire, not at the top of my list, despite the constant coverage in MacRumors.

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
Can't see all these multiple iPhone scenarios. You have the 5s and 5c which we know the s is the higher end. If they do a 6s & 6c then yes I can see that but this 5.5 iPhone seems like the Apple television set we have been dreaming of for the last 2 yrs.:rolleyes: I'm ready for September 9th to get the facts ;)

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I'm personally fine with the glass we have on the phones now. I am not going to complain if they use sapphire for the display, but in my case I wouldn't pay more if the only improvement is the sapphire. Anyway, we'll know better in a few weeks. I'm personally interested in the improvements on voice quality (VoLTE, etc.), better camera, faster processor, more memory, more storage. Definitely more storage, and any incremental improvement in the fingerprint sensor, which currently works quite well. Sapphire, not at the top of my list, despite the constant coverage in MacRumors.

I'd like to see something done about scratch resistance. Gorilla Glass isn't all that impressive IMO.

Whether that's a completely sapphire screen or some type of sapphire coated display....doesn't matter to me as long as its scratch proof.

hardwell

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2014
Doesn't make any sense.. The glass on the iPhone 5S is already durable enough under regular use. Paying more for a high end sapphire model does not add any additional feature unless it was paired with higher storage capacity. The other thing is that these iPhones are used max 3-5 years before the cycle of change is imminent.. Unlike watches which you keep around for a much longer. The sapphire has no value when it comes to trashing your worn out, slow, broken phones...

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX

I don't think you are using the term "bomb" correctly. Just because the 5C was readily in stock, does not make it a bomb. I know more people currently with iPhone 5C than with a Galaxy S5.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I'd like to see something done about scratch resistance. Gorilla Glass isn't all that impressive IMO.

Which version, which formulation, which form factor?

People need to understand that "Gorilla Glass" is an umbrella term that corning uses for a line of glass that each OEM works with corning to specifically fine tune their needs.

What that means simply is that the Gorilla Glass on an iPhone is not the same material as Gorilla Glass on a Galaxy device, even though they both are referred to as Gorilla Glass 1,2, or 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.