Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlabBen

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2014
Malta
Can anybody recommend a web host?

i am looking for a web host for commerce. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Hi,

Regarding Shopping Carts:

Write down a list of requirements you think you may need, and group them into:
Must have
Would like
Nice to have

Check out some carts on a site like http://www.hotscripts.com - use your checklist to find a few possible candidates.

Regarding Hosting:

Check well if the script you choose runs on a shared hosting. Some scripts require a dedicated server which is more expensive.

Regards
Ben

Last edited by a moderator:

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
If your main goal is to setup an ecommerce site, I'd have to recommend simply using Shopify. It's a paid ecommerce setup and they host it for you.

Whilst they manage the hosting, you do still get a decent level of control with the ability to edit and customize templates etc.

With that said, my favourite hosting provider right now would probably be DigitalOcean, but they're a KVM VPS host so it's really down to whether or not that's the kind of service you want.

splinterteal

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2014
London, UK
if you dont care about what country your site is hosted, I'd go for JustHost - very good value for money, never had any issues (had about 17 sites on 1 server for the last 6 years), very good support

HarleyMan

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2009
VA
Recommend IPage

I have used IPage for several years now and they have been very good. Their Customer Service/Tech Help is absolutely wonderful. Excellent up time. Been very satisfied!

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
OVH, hands down. Extremely cheap, fast, top notch support (multilingual, too), and one-click install of many e-commerce platform

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
OVH, hands down. Extremely cheap, fast, top notch support (multilingual, too), and one-click install of many e-commerce platform
Honestly I would find it hard to recommend OVH. They're fine if you are happy with a completely unmanaged service but honestly if it's something your business is dependent upon I would find it difficult to recommend them honestly.

I've never found their support to be particularly good either but maybe that's just my experience.

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
Can anybody recommend a web host?

i am looking for a web host for commerce. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Since its for ecommerce - a few things to keep in mind:

Will you be accepting credit cards directly on it? If so, you need to be PCI certified, have a secure infrastructure, etc - things that cost a lot of $$$ (tens of thousands per year, require dedicated staff, etc). This is assuming you'll be managing things 100% yourself. This would be the "hardcore" approach so you have 100% control over everything.

--- Since it sounds like you're probably not going that way ---

I recommend using something like squarespace or Shopify. You just fill in the blanks, customize the design, and do the products - and they will handle the technical/security side of things. They can handle some amazing traffic spikes too.

The other option is to use a prebuilt shopping cart and use something like paypal to handle all your payments/customer data. If you go that route just make sure you keep your cart up to date!!

In that case pretty much any ol' reputable host will work.

I'm a big fan of using VPSs for everything these days. I personally use Linode, LiquidWeb, AWS, and Rackspace for all my stuff. They are all VPS hosts, which basically give you your own server (easier to secure, dedicated resources, etc), and you can very quickly up/downgrade them depending on traffic.

The other option is shared - which are a lot cheaper but there's 2 things to keep in mind: they are less secure, and you don't have dedicated resources (your neighbor on the server can easily take down the whole darn thing with a traffic spike). Also, don't get fooled by all the "unlimited" crap that hosts list out... it's just marketing speak.

Some of the more popular shared hosts are HostGator, GoDaddy, BlueHost, and 1and1. Quite often they will have "business" packages for a little more and come with free SSL, and in some cases a 800 number.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Honestly I would find it hard to recommend OVH. They're fine if you are happy with a completely unmanaged service but honestly if it's something your business is dependent upon I would find it difficult to recommend them honestly.

I've never found their support to be particularly good either but maybe that's just my experience.
Unmanaged? When have you used them last? back in 2010 they managed everything, and were very quick to answer any request.

lucianmarin

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2014
I'm recommending DigitalOcean. It's VPS solution that lets you do anything you want. If you work on Linux or OS X, you can easily map your local development environment on the VPS. I'm hosting sublevel.net with them — it works insanely fast.

Th3taJ

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2014
Milford, NH
I don't know where my opinion stands when it comes to web-hosts since I've only created two websites, both of which were hosted on GoDaddy. That being said, I have been using GoDaddy for about 2 years and I rarely need support or encounter issues on my site.

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
I'm recommending DigitalOcean. It's VPS solution that lets you do anything you want. If you work on Linux or OS X, you can easily map your local development environment on the VPS. I'm hosting sublevel.net with them — it works insanely fast.

"Like" Thanks.

----------

I don't know where my opinion stands when it comes to web-hosts since I've only created two websites, both of which were hosted on GoDaddy. That being said, I have been using GoDaddy for about 2 years and I rarely need support or encounter issues on my site.

"Like" Thanks.

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
Since its for ecommerce - a few things to keep in mind:

Will you be accepting credit cards directly on it? If so, you need to be PCI certified, have a secure infrastructure, etc - things that cost a lot of $$$ (tens of thousands per year, require dedicated staff, etc). This is assuming you'll be managing things 100% yourself. This would be the "hardcore" approach so you have 100% control over everything.

--- Since it sounds like you're probably not going that way ---

I recommend using something like squarespace or Shopify. You just fill in the blanks, customize the design, and do the products - and they will handle the technical/security side of things. They can handle some amazing traffic spikes too.

The other option is to use a prebuilt shopping cart and use something like paypal to handle all your payments/customer data. If you go that route just make sure you keep your cart up to date!!

In that case pretty much any ol' reputable host will work.

I'm a big fan of using VPSs for everything these days. I personally use Linode, LiquidWeb, AWS, and Rackspace for all my stuff. They are all VPS hosts, which basically give you your own server (easier to secure, dedicated resources, etc), and you can very quickly up/downgrade them depending on traffic.

The other option is shared - which are a lot cheaper but there's 2 things to keep in mind: they are less secure, and you don't have dedicated resources (your neighbor on the server can easily take down the whole darn thing with a traffic spike). Also, don't get fooled by all the "unlimited" crap that hosts list out... it's just marketing speak.

Some of the more popular shared hosts are HostGator, GoDaddy, BlueHost, and 1and1. Quite often they will have "business" packages for a little more and come with free SSL, and in some cases a 800 number.

Thank you!! You made a lot of great host recommendations and suggestions!! I have seen 1and1 advertised a lot. I think I will look at that one, among others.

----------

What about "Wix?" Anybody ever hear of that web host?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.