Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RussWWFC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Right. I have a 1.25 Mac Mini G4 with Tiger installed, but the DVD Drive is a bit flaky. And I wanted to install Leopard to bring it a bit more up to date. I have the DVD, but it will not boot from it.

So I wanted to boot from USB or Firewire. It's widely mentioned on the web that you can't boot G4 Mac Minis via USB, so it looks like Firewire is my option, via Target Disk mode

I have a 2011 iMac that I could use, but also an external disk by Western Digital that I can use, and I'd prefer the latter option.

So I need a guide, I'm far from a computer or Mac novice and have watched few Youtube videos, but they never seem to fit my exact needs.

So firstly I need to know what format my external hard disk to/how to make it bootable (I am guessing it won't be simply a case of copying the DMG I have extracted over, and that I will have to find storage for the files already on there

And then secondly, how to use it on my Mac Mini (like what keys to press when I turn it on)

Thanks in advance for any help

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Right. I have a 1.25 Mac Mini G4 with Tiger installed, but the DVD Drive is a bit flaky. And I wanted to install Leopard to bring it a bit more up to date. I have the DVD, but it will not boot from it.

So I wanted to boot from USB or Firewire. It's widely mentioned on the web that you can't boot G4 Mac Minis via USB, so it looks like Firewire is my option, via Target Disk mode

I have a 2011 iMac that I could use, but also an external disk by Western Digital that I can use, and I'd prefer the latter option.

So I need a guide, I'm far from a computer or Mac novice and have watched few Youtube videos, but they never seem to fit my exact needs.

So firstly I need to know what format my external hard disk to/how to make it bootable (I am guessing it won't be simply a case of copying the DMG I have extracted over, and that I will have to find storage for the files already on there

And then secondly, how to use it on my Mac Mini (like what keys to press when I turn it on)

Thanks in advance for any help

You could probably put the disk in the 2011 and start it in Target Disk Mode then start the Mini and hold OPT at boot.

RussWWFC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Is there more details on that target disk mode?

On USB, I press ALT (the Option equivalent) I get a blue screen. And the mouse on the left hand side is a watch for 10 seconds, then a normal pointer. But I can only move it up and down, not left or right

And the arrow keys on the keyboard do not move anything

But I can see:

One the left: A refresh button
Middle: The hard drive
Right: A forward arrow

I have tried installing from within OSX, but it reboots as per normal after a restart

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Because the Mac Mini has USB 2 ports, you must use OpenFirmware commands to boot from a USB device.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Is there more details on that target disk mode?

On USB, I press ALT (the Option equivalent) I get a blue screen. And the mouse on the left hand side is a watch for 10 seconds, then a normal pointer. But I can only move it up and down, not left or right

And the arrow keys on the keyboard do not move anything

But I can see:

One the left: A refresh button
Middle: The hard drive
Right: A forward arrow

I have tried installing from within OSX, but it reboots as per normal after a restart

As Intell stated, you must enter specific Open Firmware commands to get a USB 2.0 port equipped PPC Mac to boot off USB. In order to install via FireWire, you cannot put the Mini into Target Disk Mode (TDM) as the 2011 model will not boot to the disk. You can however put the disk in the optical drive of the 2011 and start it in Target Disk Mode. Then you would hold OPT on the Mini and start it off the disk. It will essentially use the 2011 as a regular optical drive.

RussWWFC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Thanks, seems like I have a couple of chances to succeed then, Had a brief look at open firmware, looks a bit daunting but I have been googling, and will take another look when I have more time to install leopard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.