Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:55 AM   #26
SusanK
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiWall81 View Post
It's getting to the point of me needing to wear a 12-lead ECG monitor around at all times 24/7 so I can see and know every single thing about my body. Cool? Yes, but it's getting a little crazy!

Made to order for health and life insurers when underwriting risk. Think of the nice fat premiums!
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:58 AM   #27
PocketSand11
macrumors 6502a

Why would I want to know my heart rate? Having played a musical instrument, I can check accurately enough just by putting my hand on my chest if I really want to know for some reason.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
Good point about health tracking for everyone. I'm optimistic. I think there will be tons of addicting games and apps in the near future that will incentivize users to get and stay healthy. There'll be competitive apps for health for the athletes, competitive-natured and already-fit people of the world and there will be health apps/games focused on helping people with less-than-healthy lifestyles.

Here's to hoping Apple is serious about all this.
Honestly, the healthiest thing is to stop playing games on an iPhone or texting all day for no reason. A video game that people will actually play can't be any healthier than Wii Sports.
Fun fact: iPhone 5 aspect ratio = 640/1136 ≈ .5634. 9/16 = .5625. 639/1136 = .5625. Its screen is exactly one pixel too wide to be 9:16.

Last edited by PocketSand11; Aug 15, 2014 at 12:50 PM.
PocketSand11 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:12 AM   #28
JAT
macrumors 603

I don't like this new-fangled stuff. Back in my day, earbuds were bad for you because we played them too loud! And we liked it!!
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:13 AM   #29
Piggie
macrumors 603

I think it should be an 8" butt plug with lighting connector, life heath monitoring accurate temperature and constant stool sample data.

iButt
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:14 AM   #30
engg2000
macrumors member

"Why would I want to know my heart rate? Having played a musical instrument, I can check accurately enough just by putting my hand on my chest if I really want to know for some reason."
----------
@Pocketsand111:
You are gifted. I think it's for the rest of us that don't have that superpower.
People actually exercise with a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) to get the most out of their workouts. Realtime heart rate monitoring is a great way to train so you know you're not pushing yourself too hard for too long.
engg2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:18 AM   #31
The Doctor11
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
So what you are saying is... I like it, so it is, ipso facto, better.
No. Let's work on reading skills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor11 View Post
I would have a watch on more then earbuds so I think a watch is better
I didn't say it is. I didn't say agree with me or die. I gave my opinion on my use case. I am open to everyone's opinions and thoughts.
The Doctor11 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:23 AM   #32
Robin4
macrumors 6502

I can't even begin to imagine how they'll come up with glucose meter. It is mind boggling!
Robin4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:24 AM   #33
RightMACatU
macrumors 6502a

Here we go... more personal data that can be collected about me...
No thanks!
RightMACatU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:25 AM   #34
Alphabetize
macrumors 6502

I'm not an audiophile by any means, and I'm pretty much just a regular consumer when it comes to audio. What I want: very cheap, highly durable in-ear headphones with good bass.

I discovered the Panasonic RPHJE120K In-Ear Headphones on Amazon, and I haven't gone with any other pair (except for EarPods when I want that microphone so I can take phone calls with iPhone in pocket).
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:31 AM   #35
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

Not really into ear hook style earbuds, they're too bulky.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:37 AM   #36
r-m
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by engg2000 View Post
Nice idea but even better is the 'Dash' from Bragi
Should be ready in January 2015.
Can't wait.

Bluetooth 4.0
Waterproof
Built in 4GB music player
Microphone
Charging case
HRM
O2 saturation sensor
Body Temperature
Fitness Tracker
Distance
Speed
Cadence
G-Force
Steps
Pace
Rotation
Selectable noise cancelling/audio transparency

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ear-headphones
I was going to ask where the love was for Bragi's "The Dash"! I'm glad someone else here has heard of them.
I backed, can't wait! I got in on the first 1000 from first full production run..

www.bragi.com for pre-orders if anyone's interested
r-m is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:39 AM   #37
GeneralChang
macrumors 6502

Quote:
He was sharing an opinion. He even said the words "I think." You're free to disagree.
GeneralChang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:44 AM   #38
FieldingMellish
macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting for the bluetooth enabled suppository.
FieldingMellish is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:47 AM   #39
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:

I didn't say it is. I didn't say agree with me or die. I gave my opinion on my use case. I am open to everyone's opinions and thoughts.
Silly Doctor. Don't you know that is the same as a Royal Decree around here?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:57 AM   #40
ricci
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by engg2000 View Post
"Why would I want to know my heart rate? Having played a musical instrument, I can check accurately enough just by putting my hand on my chest if I really want to know for some reason."
----------
@Pocketsand111:
You are gifted. I think it's for the rest of us that don't have that superpower.
People actually exercise with a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) to get the most out of their workouts. Realtime heart rate monitoring is a great way to train so you know you're not pushing yourself too hard for too long.

Guys and the rest of the posters think outside the box ! Think bigger!! This tech is bigger than what your giving credit for! This has the ability to PREDICT heart attacks, strokes and other serious health issues! And imaging for a minute, before your heart attack strikes, it alerts the medics, your Family (you)and or who ever you have set up to contact for emergency! Future looks great!!
ricci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:07 PM   #41
arkmannj
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to arkmannj
Sensors across product lines makes sense.
you don't wear the same items for different activities throughout the day but this way it can still be measured. For example, I don't like wearing a watch while I run, but I am almost always wearing headphones. I don't wear headphones when I am out and about for the day but I do wear my watch.
arkmannj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:21 PM   #42
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkmannj View Post
Sensors across product lines makes sense.
you don't wear the same items for different activities throughout the day but this way it can still be measured. For example, I don't like wearing a watch while I run, but I am almost always wearing headphones. I don't wear headphones when I am out and about for the day but I do wear my watch.
You are getting warmer. The Apple "watch" was created by the rumor industry completely out of whole cloth. The hard evidence or even the logic supporting this concept is completely absent. What actually exists is evidence that Apple has wearable tech in the pipeline, most likely a family of products incorporating biometrics. Just what these wearable tech products are, nobody outside of Apple knows, but I think it's safe to say that a "watch" is almost certainly not one of them.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:23 PM   #43
TsunamiTheClown
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
I don't like this new-fangled stuff. Back in my day, earbuds were bad for you because we played them too loud! And we liked it!!
Now you can know just how bad it really is
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:36 PM   #44
2IS
macrumors 68020

This is actually something I'd be interested in. The watch from most of the photo's I've seen is to ugly for me to be seen wearing and the only time I'd really be interested in my vitals is when I'm at the gym or on a hike in which case I'm always wearing ear buds anyway.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:51 PM   #45
PocketSand11
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightMACatU View Post
Here we go... more personal data that can be collected about me...
No thanks!
Your heart rate? This paranoia is getting ridiculous. One of the few times I'll use this:
Fun fact: iPhone 5 aspect ratio = 640/1136 ≈ .5634. 9/16 = .5625. 639/1136 = .5625. Its screen is exactly one pixel too wide to be 9:16.
PocketSand11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:58 PM   #46
Count Blah
macrumors 65816

Ugh, can't I just get the smallest ear buds that have good sound. I don't want damn golf balls sized crap sticking out of my ears. Yuck!!!
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:07 PM   #47
r-m
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Blah View Post
Ugh, can't I just get the smallest ear buds that have good sound. I don't want damn golf balls sized crap sticking out of my ears. Yuck!!!
There's some that were on kickstarter. They were tiny, like the ones Ryan Reynolds' character used in some romcom ("definitely,maybe?" I think)

Edit:
Found them: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1629248706/earin-the-worlds-smallest-wireless-earbuds?ref=discovery

Quote:
Earin is the smallest, wireless earbuds available on the market. Two earbuds that together function as one Bluetooth headphone; no cables, no attachments just magically small delivering high quality audio sound.
No unnecessary functionality has been added. No sensors, no lights and no microphone, that’s right - no microphone! Not because we couldn’t but because we wouldn’t!

Earin is for music lovers – and music lovers only.
We use balanced armature speakers, used in professional in-ear-monitors and hearing-aids to deliver the best possible sound and to keep power-consumption at its minimal. High-density rechargeable batteries are used to keep playback time up and size down.

Last edited by r-m; Aug 15, 2014 at 01:18 PM.
r-m is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 03:16 PM   #48
tennisproha
macrumors regular

I'm a bit apprehensive about this one actually. mainly b/c you don't know how much EF exposure this will open your ears up to. that's a sensitive area you wanna keep all that junk exposure away from in the long term.

wrist seems like a much better area to package this into; it a limb away from all your vital senses.

also, I think that's one of the reasons Glass is never gonna gain wider appeal. no one should want something jammed into or on your eyes for data. not aiming for robo-humans. glasses are annoying enough in general.

Last edited by tennisproha; Aug 15, 2014 at 03:19 PM. Reason: one more thing…
tennisproha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 03:40 PM   #49
tbrinkma
macrumors 65832

Quote:

No, what he said was, I like option A more than option B, therefore I think option A is better. (Heck, the words "I think" were even in same phrase as the word "better".)

Here's the quote for reference (emphasis added):
Quote:
I would have a watch on more then earbuds so I think a watch is better
Old Aug 15, 2014, 05:50 PM   #50
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralChang View Post
He was sharing an opinion. He even said the words "I think." You're free to disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrinkma View Post
No, what he said was, I like option A more than option B, therefore I think option A is better. (Heck, the words "I think" were even in same phrase as the word "better".)

Here's the quote for reference (emphasis added):
I think I got the point...but that's just my opinion.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion