Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lysola

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2014
I use my MBP to stream movies, sports, and TV shows but I'm looking for a fixed device to leave hooked to my main HDTV in my house. I'm debating between a Mini vs. AppleTV. Basically, I was wondering if AppleTV has some sort of "computer" app or interface where I can pull up websites, or access files from a flash drive or external HD. I'm an organizational freak, so I like my files organized how they are and in their particular file-type, so I'd rather not convert for use with itunes or plex or anything. Thanks.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
You can mirror you MBP display to the Apple TV. That is the most "computer" of an app it has. Though if you are an organization freak like me, Id recommend getting the mini. I use it as my media database to store all of my videos, and use screen sharing from my rMBP to control it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I use my MBP to stream movies, sports, and TV shows but I'm looking for a fixed device to leave hooked to my main HDTV in my house. I'm debating between a Mini vs. AppleTV. Basically, I was wondering if AppleTV has some sort of "computer" app or interface where I can pull up websites, or access files from a flash drive or external HD. I'm an organizational freak, so I like my files organized how they are and in their particular file-type, so I'd rather not convert for use with itunes or plex or anything. Thanks.

No, Apple TV has no browser or "computer" functions. For things like that, the Mac mini is the way to go. If you use Plex for movies, TV shows, music videos, photos, etc., you can leave your media where it is. Plex won't rearrange or convert your media. It will simply make it available in an organized fashion for presentation on any computer/phone/tablet/Apple TV on your network. If you get the Mac mini and connect it via HDMI to your TV, you can control Plex playback from your MBP or your phone or tablet.

tritonv3pro

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2013
Texas
I use a couple of mac minis setup to access all of my content throughout the house . You can find some older models on the 'bay for reasonable prices. You can even airplay ipad or iphone content using XBMC. You can then have access to any web browser you like.

lysola

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2014
Thanks everyone. I was hoping that I could get away with an Apple TV so I didn't have to spend the $600 on a mini, even though it seems like it's the best option for what I want to do. I know a new mini is likely to come out at some point, so would you recommend just waiting for that and buying a used version of the current iteration? Will those drop in price? Any good refurb sites?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks everyone. I was hoping that I could get away with an Apple TV so I didn't have to spend the $600 on a mini, even though it seems like it's the best option for what I want to do. I know a new mini is likely to come out at some point, so would you recommend just waiting for that and buying a used version of the current iteration? Will those drop in price? Any good refurb sites?
For what you're planning to do, I don't see any need to wait for a new model, as current Mac minis are fully capable for your needs. I would only trust Apple Certified Refurbished products, which are available here.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I bought a new mini a couple months ago. When you included the sales tax from the Apple store, a new mini from B&H photo was only $5 more, and they include a free copy of Parallels.

I agree the current model is already more powerful than you really need, but I think the OP's question was actually whether the current (2012) Mini will drop in price if they release a new model. I don't think anyone can really answer that, and there have been no clear indications of when a new model might come along.

Many people are using older core2duo machines as media servers though, if you are looking for a lower cost solution.

lysola

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2014
I bought a new mini a couple months ago. When you included the sales tax from the Apple store, a new mini from B&H photo was only $5 more, and they include a free copy of Parallels.

I agree the current model is already more powerful than you really need, but I think the OP's question was actually whether the current (2012) Mini will drop in price if they release a new model. I don't think anyone can really answer that, and there have been no clear indications of when a new model might come along.

Many people are using older core2duo machines as media servers though, if you are looking for a lower cost solution.

Yes, the bolded part was my actual question, sorry for the mixup. Also thanks for the refurb website from previous poster. I looked on the apple website for refurbs earlier this week and didn't see any. Must have been in the wrong place. I figured it'd be hard to guess if the price will go down once they update it to a new model. I'm going to have to wait on this anyway so hopefully by the time I can spend the money, it'll have gone down a little bit more.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yes, the bolded part was my actual question, sorry for the mixup. Also thanks for the refurb website from previous poster. I looked on the apple website for refurbs earlier this week and didn't see any. Must have been in the wrong place. I figured it'd be hard to guess if the price will go down once they update it to a new model. I'm going to have to wait on this anyway so hopefully by the time I can spend the money, it'll have gone down a little bit more.
If you don't find the model you're looking for on the refurb site, you can use refurb.me to be alerted when it appears in Apple's refurb store.

tritonv3pro

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2013
Texas

You should also check the Best buy open box items. I've seen the 2012 as low as $450. Then with the 10% off movers coupon and 10% in rewards the price comes out to about ~$400 after taxes. That's cheaper than the apple refurb. The open box still have some warranty so you can take them to apple if you have any issues. I've also purchased some older core2duo minis off ebay paying between $100-$200.

lysola

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2014
You should also check the Best buy open box items. I've seen the 2012 as low as $450. Then with the 10% off movers coupon and 10% in rewards the price comes out to about ~$400 after taxes. That's cheaper than the apple refurb. The open box still have some warranty so you can take them to apple if you have any issues. I've also purchased some older core2duo minis off ebay paying between $100-$200.

I've thought about that, but in my head I just feel like Apple's standards for refurbs are more stringent than BB. It's worth a shot though. Anyone have any experience w/ Apple refurbs from BB? Positive/negative?

tritonv3pro

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2013
Texas
I've thought about that, but in my head I just feel like Apple's standards for refurbs are more stringent than BB. It's worth a shot though. Anyone have any experience w/ Apple refurbs from BB? Positive/negative?

I've purchased ipads (air, mini and Ipad4) macbooks, and even an apple tv from the best buy open box items while saving hundreds of dollars. I only had an issue with the Ipad air dropping bluetooth. I took it to apple and they swapped it no questions asked. You can check the remaining warranty from the apple site before you buy it if needed.

lysola

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2014
I've purchased ipads (air, mini and Ipad4) macbooks, and even an apple tv from the best buy open box items while saving hundreds of dollars. I only had an issue with the Ipad air dropping bluetooth. I took it to apple and they swapped it no questions asked. You can check the remaining warranty from the apple site before you buy it if needed.

Excellent, good to know. I'll keep an eye out at my local BB and these refurb sites online. Thanks everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.