Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its Apple Leadership press page to add the bios of five vice presidents, including Paul Deneve, Lisa Jackson, Joel Podolny, Johny Srouji, and Denise Young Smith.

The inclusion of several vice presidents on the executive team is a new move for the company, as the page previously only listed the company's lineup of senior vice presidents.

applevps.jpg
Since taking over as CEO, Tim Cook has aimed to share the spotlight with his employees, letting company leaders like Eddy Cue, Craig Federighi, and Jony Ive take part in press interviews and lead Apple events. The addition of five new VPs to the press roster suggests Cook and the team at Apple are more open than ever, recognizing the efforts of an even larger number of key employees.

Of the new executives joining the page, Paul Deneve and Lisa Jackson are relatively new hires, joining Apple in 2013. Deneve oversees special projects, while Jackson has a public-facing job overseeing Apple's environmental efforts. Joel Podolny, dean of Apple University and Denise Young Smith, who oversees Apple's human resources, were promoted to their roles early in 2014. The remaining VP, Johny Srouji, oversees hardware technologies, a role he has held for just over a year.

The new additions to the executive press page also spotlight two additional women who hold important leadership roles at Apple, bringing the total number of females on the page to three, with Angela Ahrendts. Apple has faced criticism for its lack of female leadership in the past, which Cook has been aiming to remedy. According to diversity numbers released earlier this week, 72 percent of Apple employees in leadership roles are male.

Note: Due to the nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Adds Five Vice Presidents, Including Two Women, to 'Apple Leadership' Press Page

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013
Neat, diversity is IMO always a good thing. Many more perspectives brought through diversity.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Oh thank God, I was beginning to think they were a bunch of racist sexists over there. Close call................................:eek:

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Part of the Paul Deneve bio:

Paul returned to Apple in 2013 after serving as CEO of luxury fashion house Saint Laurent Paris. Prior to Saint Laurent, he held top positions in the fashion industry including president of Lanvin and Nina Ricci, as well as managing director of Courrèges. From 1990 to 1997, Paul held sales and marketing roles at Apple in Europe.

Interesting... Wonder what special products his job title might be referring too ;)

roow110

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2011
Paul Deneve is up there now for "special projects." Sure sign to me that the iWatch is on its way.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
According to diversity numbers released earlier this week, 72 percent of Apple employees in leadership roles are male
The real question is how that compares to others,in the industry. What are the stats for Microsoft, Google, and Samsumg?

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Neat, diversity is IMO always a good thing. Many more perspectives brought through diversity.

It is 100% not always a good thing. Diversity for the sake of numbers is actually a horrible thing, why not hire the best person no matter their race, sex or sexual orientation?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i'm offended by the lack of asians.

jk

also someone needs to kidnapp Paul Deneve and his insight into "special projects"

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida

How? Diversity is a crock of _ _ _ _ that was made up to make people feel bad.... You hire the people who are qualified and who are right for the job. This Diversity crap is what's wrong with todays USA. If the person is white, black, yellow, green, blue... You hiring the one who is qualified. You don't hiring the black one because you need more diversity. Same goes for sex.

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
Every time I see an article like this is makes me shake my head. I think MR posted something about this earlier in the week about Tim Cook being unhappy about lack of "color" in the Apple Stores. When in reality, white males are the majority of people who are not only going to apply for the job, but, qualify for the job. It's just how it is. I'm sorry but most black men do no focus on technology like white males do. Just like how Sports Stores who sell athletic shoes are more likely to have Black men than White men(or women). Is just how things are. Why is the NHL like 90+% white? Because HOCKEY is predominately a white sport that attracts white youth. Basketball attracts inner city black children and because of that the NBA is 85% black.

It's just how things are. There is nothing wrong with that. What's wrong is thinking it is wrong and coming up with these diversity problems. I'm sorry, but I just find it absolutely dumb.

Last edited by a moderator:

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
So finally the big question of "Where is a black person in their executive list?" comes to an end!

Next "Where is an Asian or Hispanic?" debate can continue.

And for those people who are now happy about the black person being there...I have a question.

"Why is it that the NFL or NBA always have more black people? Where is the diversity there?"

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
How? Diversity is a crock of _ _ _ _ that was made up to make people feel bad.... You hire the people who are qualified and who are right for the job. This Diversity crap is what's wrong with todays USA. If the person is white, black, yellow, green, blue... You hiring the one who is qualified. You don't hiring the black one because you need more diversity. Same goes for sex.

Wrong. There are many qualified people that are overlooked because they aren't white and male.

It's more than qualifications. There is inherent bigotry everywhere.

White people are generally comfortable hiring more white males than minorities because they prefer their own kind.

Just like a white male prefers white girls to ethnic girls etc

That "preference" is unfair in the workforce that is real.

So get off your high horse

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
Wrong. There are many qualified people that are overlooked because they aren't white and male.

It's more than qualifications. There is inherent bigotry everywhere.

White people are generally comfortable hiring more white males than minorities because they prefer their own kind.

Just like a white male prefers white girls to ethnic girls etc

That "preference" is unfair in the workforce that is real.

So get off your high horse

That's a whole different subject. But their is no doubt, companies (and colleges) go out of their way to hire(or enroll) other races just because of numbers.

----------

So finally the big question of "Where is a black person in their executive list?" comes to an end!

Next "Where is an Asian or Hispanic?" debate can continue.

And for those people who are now happy about the black person being there...I have a question.

"Why is it that the NFL or NBA always have more black people? Where is the diversity there?"

Ha exactly. Read what I said above about sports.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008

Except. How would you feel if somebody else that was less qualified than you got a job you’d worked damned hard and damned long for just because it was diverse?

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
Except. How would you feel if somebody else that was less qualified than you got a job you’d worked damned hard and damned long for just because it was diverse?

Too bad. The company needed to raise the diversity percentages! :eek:

----------

By the way, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Apple went out of it's way to find this Black woman.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
That's a whole different subject. But their is no doubt, companies (and colleges) go out of their way to hire(or enroll) other races just because of numbers.

----------

Ha exactly. Read what I said above about sports.

You can't gloss over what I said because that's why we have hiring laws

They aren't filling jobs with unqualified people.

It's not like Harvard takes unqualified students

----------

Is that the plight of white people ? They took our jobs?

I like bananas

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2013

Who says they aren't still hiring the person who is right for the job? It's not like hiring the person who is right for job and aiming for diversity are mutually exclusive.

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
Is that the plight of white people ? They took our jobs?

I believe he is saying that their is many reasons today why someone who qualified for a job more than the other person who got the job just because they were a different race and the company wanted diversity. There is no doubt that happens. And I bet Apple went out of its way to find this black woman because of that. It's all about PR.

I'm not saying she is not qualified. I'm saying they most likely intentionally wanted a black woman. This happens all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.