Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:11 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Adds Five Vice Presidents, Including Two Women, to 'Apple Leadership' Press Page

Apple today updated its Apple Leadership press page to add the bios of five vice presidents, including Paul Deneve, Lisa Jackson, Joel Podolny, Johny Srouji, and Denise Young Smith.

The inclusion of several vice presidents on the executive team is a new move for the company, as the page previously only listed the company's lineup of senior vice presidents.

Since taking over as CEO, Tim Cook has aimed to share the spotlight with his employees, letting company leaders like Eddy Cue, Craig Federighi, and Jony Ive take part in press interviews and lead Apple events. The addition of five new VPs to the press roster suggests Cook and the team at Apple are more open than ever, recognizing the efforts of an even larger number of key employees.

Of the new executives joining the page, Paul Deneve and Lisa Jackson are relatively new hires, joining Apple in 2013. Deneve oversees special projects, while Jackson has a public-facing job overseeing Apple's environmental efforts. Joel Podolny, dean of Apple University and Denise Young Smith, who oversees Apple's human resources, were promoted to their roles early in 2014. The remaining VP, Johny Srouji, oversees hardware technologies, a role he has held for just over a year.

The new additions to the executive press page also spotlight two additional women who hold important leadership roles at Apple, bringing the total number of females on the page to three, with Angela Ahrendts. Apple has faced criticism for its lack of female leadership in the past, which Cook has been aiming to remedy. According to diversity numbers released earlier this week, 72 percent of Apple employees in leadership roles are male.

Note: Due to the nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Adds Five Vice Presidents, Including Two Women, to 'Apple Leadership' Press Page
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:14 PM   #2
christarp
macrumors regular

Neat, diversity is IMO always a good thing. Many more perspectives brought through diversity.
christarp is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:14 PM   #3
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

Oh thank God, I was beginning to think they were a bunch of racist sexists over there. Close call................................
Z400Racer37 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:14 PM   #4
-LikesMac-
macrumors 6502

Done more for showing diversity than anything else...

13'' MBP, 2.7GHz i7, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, HD3000
-LikesMac- is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:15 PM   #5
Revearti
macrumors member

I would of applied for VP if I saw the job postings!
Revearti is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:15 PM   #6
stridemat

Part of the Paul Deneve bio:

Quote:
Paul returned to Apple in 2013 after serving as CEO of luxury fashion house Saint Laurent Paris. Prior to Saint Laurent, he held top positions in the fashion industry including president of Lanvin and Nina Ricci, as well as managing director of Courrčges. From 1990 to 1997, Paul held sales and marketing roles at Apple in Europe.
Interesting... Wonder what special products his job title might be referring too
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:16 PM   #7
LuminousFX
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Apple has faced criticism for its lack of female leadership
Isn't the engineering/technology industry generally occupied by males?
LuminousFX is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:16 PM   #8
Ichabod.
macrumors regular

So, not new hires . . . just new promotional info on Apple's page.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:16 PM   #9
roow110
macrumors regular

Paul Deneve is up there now for "special projects." Sure sign to me that the iWatch is on its way.
roow110 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:17 PM   #10
Daalseth
macrumors 6502

Quote:
According to diversity numbers released earlier this week, 72 percent of Apple employees in leadership roles are male
The real question is how that compares to others,in the industry. What are the stats for Microsoft, Google, and Samsumg?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:17 PM   #11
luckydcxx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by christarp View Post
Neat, diversity is IMO always a good thing. Many more perspectives brought through diversity.
It is 100% not always a good thing. Diversity for the sake of numbers is actually a horrible thing, why not hire the best person no matter their race, sex or sexual orientation?

http://youtu.be/eywi0h_Y5_U
luckydcxx is offline   32 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:17 PM   #12
bushido
macrumors 603

i'm offended by the lack of asians.

jk

also someone needs to kidnapp Paul Deneve and his insight into "special projects"
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:17 PM   #13
dannyyankou
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousFX View Post
Isn't the engineering/technology industry generally occupied by males?
Does it need to be?
dannyyankou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:17 PM   #14
super tomtendo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
How? Diversity is a crock of _ _ _ _ that was made up to make people feel bad.... You hire the people who are qualified and who are right for the job. This Diversity crap is what's wrong with todays USA. If the person is white, black, yellow, green, blue... You hiring the one who is qualified. You don't hiring the black one because you need more diversity. Same goes for sex.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:19 PM   #15
mw360
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by -LikesMac- View Post
Done more for showing diversity than anything else...
Picture of a black woman = diversity PR stunt?

Couldn't be about recognizing her contribution?
mw360 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:25 PM   #16
super tomtendo
macrumors 6502a

Every time I see an article like this is makes me shake my head. I think MR posted something about this earlier in the week about Tim Cook being unhappy about lack of "color" in the Apple Stores. When in reality, white males are the majority of people who are not only going to apply for the job, but, qualify for the job. It's just how it is. I'm sorry but most black men do no focus on technology like white males do. Just like how Sports Stores who sell athletic shoes are more likely to have Black men than White men(or women). Is just how things are. Why is the NHL like 90+% white? Because HOCKEY is predominately a white sport that attracts white youth. Basketball attracts inner city black children and because of that the NBA is 85% black.

It's just how things are. There is nothing wrong with that. What's wrong is thinking it is wrong and coming up with these diversity problems. I'm sorry, but I just find it absolutely dumb.

Last edited by dejo; Aug 15, 2014 at 01:37 PM. Reason: quoted post deleted.
super tomtendo is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:26 PM   #17
IbisDoc
macrumors 6502

I would like to take credit for this change, as I am the one who shamed the Apple world (including the Apple spies who lurk here) in this thread.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...2#post19357642
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:26 PM   #18
krravi
macrumors 65816

So finally the big question of "Where is a black person in their executive list?" comes to an end!

Next "Where is an Asian or Hispanic?" debate can continue.

And for those people who are now happy about the black person being there...I have a question.

"Why is it that the NFL or NBA always have more black people? Where is the diversity there?"
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:26 PM   #19
Radio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by super tomtendo View Post
How? Diversity is a crock of _ _ _ _ that was made up to make people feel bad.... You hire the people who are qualified and who are right for the job. This Diversity crap is what's wrong with todays USA. If the person is white, black, yellow, green, blue... You hiring the one who is qualified. You don't hiring the black one because you need more diversity. Same goes for sex.
Wrong. There are many qualified people that are overlooked because they aren't white and male.

It's more than qualifications. There is inherent bigotry everywhere.

White people are generally comfortable hiring more white males than minorities because they prefer their own kind.

Just like a white male prefers white girls to ethnic girls etc

That "preference" is unfair in the workforce that is real.

So get off your high horse
Radio is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:30 PM   #20
super tomtendo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Wrong. There are many qualified people that are overlooked because they aren't white and male.

It's more than qualifications. There is inherent bigotry everywhere.

White people are generally comfortable hiring more white males than minorities because they prefer their own kind.

Just like a white male prefers white girls to ethnic girls etc

That "preference" is unfair in the workforce that is real.

So get off your high horse
That's a whole different subject. But their is no doubt, companies (and colleges) go out of their way to hire(or enroll) other races just because of numbers.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by krravi View Post
So finally the big question of "Where is a black person in their executive list?" comes to an end!

Next "Where is an Asian or Hispanic?" debate can continue.

And for those people who are now happy about the black person being there...I have a question.

"Why is it that the NFL or NBA always have more black people? Where is the diversity there?"
Ha exactly. Read what I said above about sports.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:30 PM   #21
H2SO4
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Except. How would you feel if somebody else that was less qualified than you got a job you’d worked damned hard and damned long for just because it was diverse?
H2SO4 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:33 PM   #22
super tomtendo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Except. How would you feel if somebody else that was less qualified than you got a job you’d worked damned hard and damned long for just because it was diverse?
Too bad. The company needed to raise the diversity percentages!

----------

By the way, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Apple went out of it's way to find this Black woman.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:34 PM   #23
Radio
Banned

Quote:
That's a whole different subject. But their is no doubt, companies (and colleges) go out of their way to hire(or enroll) other races just because of numbers.

----------

Ha exactly. Read what I said above about sports.
You can't gloss over what I said because that's why we have hiring laws

They aren't filling jobs with unqualified people.

It's not like Harvard takes unqualified students

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Is that the plight of white people ? They took our jobs?
Radio is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:35 PM   #24
I like bananas
macrumors member

Quote:
Who says they aren't still hiring the person who is right for the job? It's not like hiring the person who is right for job and aiming for diversity are mutually exclusive.
I like bananas is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:37 PM   #25
super tomtendo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Is that the plight of white people ? They took our jobs?
I believe he is saying that their is many reasons today why someone who qualified for a job more than the other person who got the job just because they were a different race and the company wanted diversity. There is no doubt that happens. And I bet Apple went out of its way to find this black woman because of that. It's all about PR.

I'm not saying she is not qualified. I'm saying they most likely intentionally wanted a black woman. This happens all the time.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues