Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:31 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Adds Beats Music to App Store List of 'Apps Made by Apple'

Following Apple's official acquisition of Beats Electronics and Beats Music, the Beats Music iOS app has been added to Apple's App Store listing of "Apps Made by Apple," giving the app high-profile placement to encourage downloads.

This section of the iTunes Store, which also houses Apple-designed apps like Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iPhoto, and more, can be found in the Quick Links section of the iOS App Store and the desktop iTunes Store.

The addition of Beats Music to the Apps Made by Apple list follows its inclusion in the list of apps recommended to new iOS users, another move that will undoubtedly result in a high number of Beats Music app downloads. According to Appshopper, Beats Music's popularity has soared in recent weeks. It is currently ranked fourth in music and number 23 in overall free apps.

As of May, Beats Music had garnered 250,000 subscribers, a number that has likely grown significantly with the app's prominent placement in the App Store and Apple's high-profile acquisition of the company. In contrast, Apple's iTunes Store has sold 35 billion songs and its existing streaming radio service, iTunes Radio, has more than 40 million listeners.

Unlike many of the other apps listed in the Apps Made by Apple section, Beats Music is not free. While the app can be downloaded at no cost, it requires a monthly subscription priced at $9.99. Unlike several competing streaming music services, Beats Music does not offer a free ad-supported listening.

According to rumors, Apple has plans to keep the Beats Music service as a standalone entity, separate from its own iTunes and iTunes Radio offerings.

(Thanks, William!)

Article Link: Apple Adds Beats Music to App Store List of 'Apps Made by Apple'
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:32 PM   #2
dlewis23
macrumors 6502a

Makes sense...

Will be nice if they tie it into iTunes/iRadio.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:33 PM   #3
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

For the brief period I tried Beats Music, I enjoyed it. If they can somehow couple it with iTunes Match/Radio I would love that. Group it all into one yearly cost.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:34 PM   #4
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Wonder if they will rebrand it, kill off iTunes Radio?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:35 PM   #5
madsci954
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysods View Post
I would guess that's the long term goal.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:36 PM   #6
IscariotJ
macrumors 6502a

If only they'd bring it to the UK, along with iTunes Radio....
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:36 PM   #7
Radio
In Time-Out

Make it free! That would be amazing so then that could add some competition to spotify which I love and pay for
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:37 PM   #8
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Apple owns Beats now so this app is considered an Apple app. Wow, what a shock.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:38 PM   #9
nazaar
macrumors 6502

Did Apple really make it?
nazaar is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:40 PM   #10
Ballis
macrumors 6502

Not even availiable in Europe... Just so Apple...
Ballis is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:45 PM   #11
man3ster
macrumors newbie

This is stupid.

This is not the Apple I remember. Apple should have integrated this service into the Music app on iOS. Instead the company is spinning off different brands and it leads to a less uniform experience. I wish the company would focus on their core products and services and guarantee reliability and stability. It feels like the company is losing something that I use to value.
man3ster is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:45 PM   #12
PocketSand11
macrumors 6502a

Hopefully they merge it into iTunes Radio, despite that "according to rumors, Apple has plans to keep the Beats Music service as a standalone entity, separate from its own iTunes and iTunes Radio offerings."
Fun fact: iPhone 5 aspect ratio = 640/1136 ≈ .5634. 9/16 = .5625. 639/1136 = .5625. Its screen is exactly one pixel too wide to be 9:16.

Last edited by PocketSand11; Aug 15, 2014 at 01:55 PM.
PocketSand11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:47 PM   #13
luckydcxx
macrumors 6502a

I love beats music, by far the best for streaming music service.

http://youtu.be/eywi0h_Y5_U
luckydcxx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:48 PM   #14
Blakjack
macrumors 65816

How coincidental the color of the circle around the "b" in the beats logo is almost exactly the same color scheme as the iTunes Radio app logo. Noticed that a few months back. Its not like those are common colors either.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:51 PM   #15
adamw
macrumors regular

This is no real surprise...
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:55 PM   #16
markyr17
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakjack View Post
How coincidental the color of the circle around the "b" in the beats logo is almost exactly the same color scheme as the iTunes Radio app logo. Noticed that a few months back. Its not like those are common colors either.
I think you're grasping for straws with that statement...

Definitely doesn't seem "coincidental" to me - I don't personally think the color schemes are that much alike. They're both pinkish.
markyr17 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:58 PM   #17
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Make it free! That would be amazing so then that could add some competition to spotify which I love and pay for
'Free' is not a good business model when you have to pay royalties for the media provided.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:59 PM   #18
Gayobama
macrumors newbie

Heck yeah!!! Here is my money Apple. Please take it!

Last edited by Gayobama; Aug 15, 2014 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Misspelled word.
Gayobama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 02:10 PM   #19
El Hikaru
macrumors regular

That is a power of money.
You can own if if you buy.
El Hikaru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 02:13 PM   #20
shiseiryu1
macrumors 6502

iTunes Radio Need Improvement

iTunes Radio needs some serious improvement. Each "channel" keeps replaying the same 15-30 or so songs it feels like. You would think that with the world of music at your fingertips it wouldn't seem so stale so fast. :/
Old Aug 15, 2014, 02:20 PM   #21
taptic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletmarks View Post
Man, I wish people would stop posting about this.

I use iOS. Not Android.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysods View Post
Wouldn't they do that the other way around...? Mix it into iTunes Radio and kill off the beats app?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 02:34 PM   #22
Reds622
macrumors member

I am starting to think that Apples primary motivation in buying Beats was to keep competitors from integrating it into their products. I'm not talking about the "tech" crowd, and most of the posters on this forum, but the everyday young kid or adult who would purchase a product strictly because they think having a beats speaker system creates a more premium product.

I know that this was already done before, with HP I believe, but perhaps Apple felt that moving forward if Beats were to continue to become a bigger and more popular brand it could threaten and take away sales from it's other products. Thus, while 3 billion was a ton of money, it's pennies to a company with over 100 billion in cash to spend, and if it hurts competitors ability to gain any sort of edge in the future it is money well spent.

The reason I say this is because I really can't see any way that Apple is able to actually incorporate Beats into other products. Their will be no Beats speakers in IPhones, MacBooks, or anything else.. The music streaming service, while interesting, does not strike me as any sort of game changer that would bring in significant revenue in the near future. It seems Apple is content with owning Beats in name only, and keeping the service and it's products relatively separate from the rest of Apple.

Seems like Apple wants to just continue to earn the profit coming from the suckers who buy the overrated and overpriced Beats headphones, get the software for the streaming service that I never see competing with the likes of spotify, and most importantly eliminating a potential distinguisher for its competitors that may have existed if all the stars aligned at some point in time in the future.
Reds622 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 02:36 PM   #23
Porco
macrumors 68000

Old Aug 15, 2014, 02:36 PM   #24
AgentElliot007
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by man3ster View Post
This is not the Apple I remember. Apple should have integrated this service into the Music app on iOS. Instead the company is spinning off different brands and it leads to a less uniform experience. I wish the company would focus on their core products and services and guarantee reliability and stability. It feels like the company is losing something that I use to value.
There are very good reasons for why this hasn't happened yet. It's not a cut and dry issue. I have no doubts that eventually things will move to an experience much like this, but until streaming profits catch up to what the iTunes Store brings to the music industry, they're not going to rock that boat. Their content partners have been getting hit hard enough as it is, and unlike many other companies, Apple is smart enough to realize that they need to actually have content PARTNERS and help them as much as they can to be successful.
AgentElliot007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 02:49 PM   #25
ricci
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlewis23 View Post
Makes sense...

Will be nice if they tie it into iTunes/iRadio.
It will all tie in soon, trust me!
ricci is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion