Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
This is not the Apple I remember. Apple should have integrated this service into the Music app on iOS. Instead the company is spinning off different brands and it leads to a less uniform experience. I wish the company would focus on their core products and services and guarantee reliability and stability. It feels like the company is losing something that I use to value.

Are you sure this isn't the Apple you remember?

93960_1.gif

----------

lmao @ TMZ for believing that's an iphone 6.

jolux

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2014
Are you sure this isn't the Apple you remember?

----------

lmao @ TMZ for believing that's an iphone 6.

SACRILEGE!

I still don't quite understand why they made the HP iPod. Possibly the worst idea in Apple's history.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Really a fan of Beats Music. Just finished my 90-day AT&T trial and signed up for the $9.99/month plan. The app is beautiful, the playlists are great, any song I want on-demand if needed, and it's now owned by Apple so even better.

In the end, I'd rather pay $9.99 for access to any song I want than pay $1.29 per song that I may never want to listen to again after a month or 2. Just waiting to see how Apple deals with the odd iTunes Radio/iTunes Store/Beats Music messy product line. Would like to see some sort of unified integrated solution.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Jeez, all those icons really freak me out that apple has lost all sense of taste. They all need a switch up and redesign, just minor tweaks would stop it looking like the mess it is! Urgh. Oh god I feel sick.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I am starting to think that Apples primary motivation in buying Beats was to keep competitors from integrating it into their products. I'm not talking about the "tech" crowd, and most of the posters on this forum, but the everyday young kid or adult who would purchase a product strictly because they think having a beats speaker system creates a more premium product.

I know that this was already done before, with HP I believe, but perhaps Apple felt that moving forward if Beats were to continue to become a bigger and more popular brand it could threaten and take away sales from it's other products. Thus, while 3 billion was a ton of money, it's pennies to a company with over 100 billion in cash to spend, and if it hurts competitors ability to gain any sort of edge in the future it is money well spent.

The reason I say this is because I really can't see any way that Apple is able to actually incorporate Beats into other products. Their will be no Beats speakers in IPhones, MacBooks, or anything else.. The music streaming service, while interesting, does not strike me as any sort of game changer that would bring in significant revenue in the near future. It seems Apple is content with owning Beats in name only, and keeping the service and it's products relatively separate from the rest of Apple.

Seems like Apple wants to just continue to earn the profit coming from the suckers who buy the overrated and overpriced Beats headphones, get the software for the streaming service that I never see competing with the likes of spotify, and most importantly eliminating a potential distinguisher for its competitors that may have existed if all the stars aligned at some point in time in the future.

Do you own any Beats Headphones? The packaging style, the high-end design & great build quality: From the moment you start opening the box, you instantly feel like you are opening an Apple product. Beats did something revolutionary, headphones have been around for decades by companies like Boss and Sony but it was Beats that popularized them through the introduction of style and fashion, much like Apple does the same with its product designs. And just like Apple products they are "overrated, overpriced, and lacking specs" so I am 100% not surprised Apple purchased them.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Do you own any Beats Headphones? The packaging style, the high-end design & great build quality: From the moment you start opening the box, you instantly feel like you are opening an Apple product. Beats did something revolutionary, headphones have been around for decades by companies like Boss and Sony but it was Beats that popularized them through the introduction of style and fashion, much like Apple does the same with its product designs. And just like Apple products they are "overrated, overpriced, and lacking specs" so I am 100% not surprised Apple purchased them.

Sound quality, unfortunately, was not at the top of Beat's priorities.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
This is not the Apple I remember. Apple should have integrated this service into the Music app on iOS. Instead the company is spinning off different brands and it leads to a less uniform experience. I wish the company would focus on their core products and services and guarantee reliability and stability. It feels like the company is losing something that I use to value.

The Apple you remember? You'd think iOS was decades old.

The Apple you remember bought a company and immediately killed the program or app until it had time to put it's own "face" on it; iTunes, iDVD, Siri, etc. Beats though is a different animal because it has subscribers which were calculated in the price of the Beats acquisition. Why would Apple want to alienate that base vs. build from it?

Apple JUST completed the Beats sale a few weeks ago. Until then it couldn't do anything with Beats properties because they didn't own it yet. I have no idea what Apple's future intentions are with Beats but it seems to be consolidating Beats engineers with Apple's based on recent layoffs. My guess is that at some point in the near future... no later than iOS 9, Apple will integrate Beats w/ iTunes Radio or kill off iTunes Radio and integrate Beats into iTunes with a free advertising supported version.

But if you feel like Apple isn't the Apple you used to know and its products in 2014 are not like its products in whenever years you valued them then there are plenty of options. If you think Samsung, Microsoft, Google, etc. have better values and products they are waiting to be bought and enjoyed by you.

Reds622

macrumors regular
May 9, 2014

There are so many things wrong with this post, I am not sure where to even start.

First, I thought it was pretty universally accepted that while Beats has mass market appeal, the sound quality is very subpar. Considering where they are priced in the market, I think it is safe to say they are overrated and overpriced. So please, don't compare a junk headphone in a nice box with an Apple computer, which is neither overpriced nor overrated. The common misconception among some "windows" users is that a Macbook Air is astronomically more expensive than competing alternatives when that just is not the case. Not to mention Mac computers seem to last much longer than a competing windows machine, is less likely to slow down exponentially, and has a far far higher resale value. I thought the whole Macs are overpriced thing was debunked long ago, guess not for some.

Just because a Mac computer has a far superior design aesthetic, which is a priority of Apple, does not mean the product quality itself is inferior. Beats on the other hand makes the design of its product the central focus, worrying less about performance and more about "marketing" to celebrities to increase sales. Apple and Beats as companies I would argue are on complete opposite spectrums when it comes to how it views the priorities of the consumer. When was the last time you saw any sort of celebrity in an Apple advertisement? Maybe never? It's more about showing how everyday people uses its products.

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
It is crazy how bad the icons look for the Apple apps compared to popular 3rd party app icons. I was really hoping they'd up their game in ios8, but it looks like they're sticking to it.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
The owner of the phone says the smuggler is his friend -- an ex-employee -- who worked in Foxconn's hardware department designing the outer casing for the new model.
Man, I wish people would stop posting about this.

I use iOS. Not Android.

I know, right? I want to know what person with an ounce of reason in their head, thinks that the "outer casing" of the iPhone is designed by Foxconn in their hardware department.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.

Apple just bought them. The deal just recently closed. Knowing how things are going recently, it should be integrated soon in the next 1-2 years. I hope :rolleyes:

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
iTunes Radio needs some serious improvement. Each "channel" keeps replaying the same 15-30 or so songs it feels like. :( You would think that with the world of music at your fingertips it wouldn't seem so stale so fast. :/

Go to the info page for each station and change from 'hits' to 'discovery'.

It still plays the same songs over and over, but it adds a few more to the playlist.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Not sure why Apple added the Beats Music app to the "Made by Apple" list- the Beats app sucks IMO. There's no customizable equalizer (third party apps don't have access the the iPhone's EQ settings), you have to jump through hoops to get your music played offline (I downloaded the songs for offline use, but once I switched to offline mode, they still wouldn't play), and getting around the app is a chore. Seems to me that Apple's a little too eager to make money from their Beats acquisition. Apple should devote some software engineers to focus on the Beats Music app before they throw an Apple logo on it.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
Just like top performance is not one of Apple's. So you see Beats fits right in.

Bingo

There are so many things wrong with this post, I am not sure where to even start.

First, I thought it was pretty universally accepted that while Beats has mass market appeal, the sound quality is very subpar. Considering where they are priced in the market, I think it is safe to say they are overrated and overpriced. So please, don't compare a junk headphone in a nice box with an Apple computer, which is neither overpriced nor overrated. The common misconception among some "windows" users is that a Macbook Air is astronomically more expensive than competing alternatives when that just is not the case. Not to mention Mac computers seem to last much longer than a competing windows machine, is less likely to slow down exponentially, and has a far far higher resale value. I thought the whole Macs are overpriced thing was debunked long ago, guess not for some.

Just because a Mac computer has a far superior design aesthetic, which is a priority of Apple, does not mean the product quality itself is inferior. Beats on the other hand makes the design of its product the central focus, worrying less about performance and more about "marketing" to celebrities to increase sales. Apple and Beats as companies I would argue are on complete opposite spectrums when it comes to how it views the priorities of the consumer. When was the last time you saw any sort of celebrity in an Apple advertisement? Maybe never? It's more about showing how everyday people uses its products.

Do you own a pair of beats headphones? Cuz I do. I own the new Beats Studio Wireless. The performance to style ratio between Apple and Beats is nearly identical. For the record audiophiles complain about the sound quality on Beats much the same way windows gamers complain about performance of Mac computers.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.