Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Hi ..

(deep breath)

I have a mid-2012 27" iMac with 3TB fusion drive.

The REGULAR SDD failed, and apple replaced it.

However, my computer feels slower than it used to, and I'm thinking that the "fusion" magic isn't happening.

Is there any way to tell definitively if the fusion drive is working?

I am getting low numbers on blackdisk speed test, but my 3tb drive is also 90% full ... so I want to know if there's a simple definite way to check if it's working? Thanks!!

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Go into System Info and look at the SATA data. If you select the HDD you should see the following bold headings in the data pane.

EFI: which is disk1s1 and contains EFI
disk1s2: which contains corestorage
Recovery HD:

The SSD should show the following:

EFI: disk0s1 which contains EFI
disk0s2: corestorage
Boot OS X: disk0s3 which contains Apple_Boot

As you can see, if Fusion is set up properly, the SSD is the boot disk. It's good to see that Apple assigned the recovery disk to the HDD.

The two drives are linked logically, so the Disk Utility shows them as a single unit.

You say the HDD is 90% full. Your SSD could also be nearly full, which could slow down its operation if there's a lot of swapping between it and the HDD. I don't know if there are any utilities that could show the usage date for each individual disk. DaisyDisk has two versions, and the non Appstore version has more capabilities that Apple didn't allow in the Appstore version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.