Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 14, 2014, 06:03 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Beats Music Creates Documentary On Spike Lee's 'Do the Right Thing'




Beats Music, now owned by Apple, has created a documentary to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Do The Right Thing, a Brooklyn-based film created by Spike Lee. The 22-minute short features Spike Lee and Danny Aiello revisiting some of the original spots where the movie was shot, contrasted by shots from the film itself.

It also delves into some behind the scenes information on the building of the set and the creation of the movie, revisiting many of the actors who starred in the film and getting details on the making of the movie from the original crew.

Towards the end, the documentary features a huge block party thrown by Beats Music in the Brooklyn neighborhood where Do The Right Thing was filmed, with celebrity attendees like Erykah Badu, Dave Chapelle, Wesley Snipes, and Mos Def. The family-friendly event featured a performance of "Fight the Power" by Public Enemy along with activities for kids and adults alike.

As noted by Variety, Beats Music's new documentary suggests the company remains dedicated to expanding the Beats Music brand even after its purchase by Apple. According to rumors, one of the many potential reasons Apple purchased Beats was to up its "coolness" factor among younger consumers, a position Beats has earned with both edgy advertising campaigns like the Do the Right Thing documentary and celebrity endorsements.

Article Link: Beats Music Creates Documentary On Spike Lee's 'Do the Right Thing'
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 06:59 PM   #2
macUser2007
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2007
Good for Beats, now they are in the documentary business.

But their music service sucks! I loved MOG and now hate Beats, mainly because without the Artist Radio feature, which they removed, Beats is much less useful.

I wish I had not prepaid for a year, and will cancel as soon as my contract is up.

I am actually about to get a subscription to Spotify, and good riddance of this new service.
macUser2007 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 07:23 PM   #3
mrbib
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem got a raw deal.

The summer heat, short tempers, police violence, racial tensions and an uncontrollable mob...still relevant subject matter today considering whats going on in Ferguson, MO at this moment.

Wow, its been 25 year since that movie and somethings never change.

Last edited by mrbib; Aug 14, 2014 at 07:34 PM.
mrbib is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 09:31 PM   #4
ricci
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC
Born In Brooklyn NYC! Great movie for the time! Great time that day! Had fun! Looking at so few responses goes to show how many poeple never heard of the movie and/or how young Mac rumors poster are!
ricci is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:36 PM   #5
TheralSadurns
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricci View Post
Born In Brooklyn NYC! Great movie for the time! Great time that day! Had fun! Looking at so few responses goes to show how many poeple never heard of the movie and/or how young Mac rumors poster are!
I don't like Spike Lee toooo much. But "Do the Right Thing" is a good movie. Hands down. It's got the message right, as well as the plot and pacing, which made it an overall enjoyable movie.
Unlike most other movies today... which you watch and then forget about.

Oh and for your record... I was born in 87...
People a certain age should know the movie... regardless of when or where they were born!
TheralSadurns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:04 AM   #6
ricci
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC
True that(DAT) hahA
ricci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 06:32 AM   #7
Blakjack
macrumors 65816
 
Blakjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tallahassee Fl.
I really think the Beats brand is going to be good for Apple over time. its two different worlds that at first look, you wouldn't think would work well together. But I think the two brands will work FOR each other. Apple has always done a good job and being a brand that pushes a certain culture. Beats is well on its way if not already to pushing its own culture. These two cultures are in two worlds but are very similar in how they grab the attention of the people in those two worlds.

Think over the years, products will be essential of course, but it will be the vibrant and persuasive CULTURES that will take these two brands to unbelievable levels.
__________________
1.051.855.000
Blakjack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 06:46 AM   #8
captain cadet
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Are we seriously going to get a post every time Beats release a new set of headphones, advert or film? I get apple but why do we need beats also - its should be called Beatrumors then :P
__________________
Technology is the core of our World, Every person on this planet should take a interest as we are changing the human race with technology!
captain cadet is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:25 AM   #9
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by macUser2007 View Post
Good for Beats, now they are in the documentary business.

But their music service sucks! I loved MOG and now hate Beats, mainly because without the Artist Radio feature, which they removed, Beats is much less useful.

I wish I had not prepaid for a year, and will cancel as soon as my contract is up.

I am actually about to get a subscription to Spotify, and good riddance of this new service.
There's an artist radio feature built into iOS.


Love beats music.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain cadet View Post
Are we seriously going to get a post every time Beats release a new set of headphones, advert or film? I get apple but why do we need beats also - its should be called Beatrumors then :P
In case you forgot, beats is an apple brand now.
dannyyankou is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:03 AM   #10
macduke
macrumors 68030
 
macduke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Columbia, MO
MODS:

I would like an explanation on why my comment was deleted. When a comment is deleted, a PM should be sent to the user explaining the reasoning behind the comment removal. AFAIK, nothing I posted was against forum regulations. It is quite disconcerting if mods are now going around deleting comments that they do not personally agree with, especially if they are not going to notify the users of their removal. So to the mod who deleted my comment, please explain.

Thanks,
Aaron
__________________
15" Retina MacBook Pro / Quad 2.6GHz Core i7 / 16GB / 512GB SSD
128GB iPhone 6 Plus / 64GB iPad Mini Retina LTE / Original iPhone & iPad
Canon 7D / 24-105L / 100-400L / Sony RX100 / Xbox One
macduke is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:12 PM   #11
Redneck1089
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Awful movie. Had to sit through it twice for a class. Think I'll miss this documentary.
Redneck1089 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 02:13 PM   #12
Uofmtiger
macrumors 6502a
 
Uofmtiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Memphis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
There's an artist radio feature built into iOS.


Love beats music.

----------



In case you forgot, beats is an apple brand now.
The MOG artist radio had a slider that you could hear all of one artist and as you moved the slider to the right, more artists were added. When you pulled up an album by an artist, the app would go right into artist radio without user intervention when the album finished playing. The combination of iTunes Radio and Beats is not a substitute for MOG. MOG also had new releases on page 1 when you opened the app, with Beats (unless something has changed in the past couple of months) you have to dig through genres to find them. MOG also had a desktop app, when I tested Beats it did not have one available and their web app was horrible. MOG also had an interface with my car and worked with Roku.

Beats has a nice way to find music, but they are limited in a lot of ways compared to MOG. I wonder what the drop rate for the service was? It had to be high.

Rdio is the closest thing to MOG, but they use a lower bitrate right now. When that gets in line, which they have already announced that they are moving to 320k, I plan to move from Spotify to Rdio. Although, I also want to try Deezer.

The only thing that gives me any hope for Beats music is that Apple bought them. For example, integration with Siri, like you have with iTunes Radio/Match would be a very nice feature.

I don't really know why they are branching into documentaries, but my feelings aren't hurt because of it.
__________________
4 Airport Express, 3 AppleTV family...you could say we like Airplay.
Uofmtiger is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 02:26 PM   #13
djtech42
macrumors 65816
 
djtech42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Chester, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by macduke View Post
MODS:

I would like an explanation on why my comment was deleted. When a comment is deleted, a PM should be sent to the user explaining the reasoning behind the comment removal. AFAIK, nothing I posted was against forum regulations. It is quite disconcerting if mods are now going around deleting comments that they do not personally agree with, especially if they are not going to notify the users of their removal. So to the mod who deleted my comment, please explain.

Thanks,
Aaron
Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I said that the Apple TV was still a hobby, and I hope they are going to announce something soon. I don't see what is so wrong with saying that.
__________________
2012 15" rMBP, 16 GB RAM, OS X Mavericks ; 2009 24" iMac C2Duo, 8 GB RAM ; 32 GB Black Verizon iPhone 5 ; 32 GB White iPad rMini ; Apple TV (2nd Gen) ;
djtech42 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 02:30 PM   #14
osofast240sx
macrumors 68020
 
osofast240sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain cadet View Post
Are we seriously going to get a post every time Beats release a new set of headphones, advert or film? I get apple but why do we need beats also - its should be called Beatrumors then :P
Beats is a part of Apple just like Siri ect.
__________________
iPhone 5s 64Gb 2010 MacBookProiPad air, ATV3Airport ExpressiPhone 5, 64Gb(wife)2014 iMac(wife)iPad mini(wife)
osofast240sx is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 03:58 PM   #15
FieldingMellish
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
It's a Spike Lee joint.

By the way, what the hell happened to Danny A.? The passage of time has not been kind.
FieldingMellish is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:00 PM   #16
iolinux333
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by macduke View Post
MODS:

I would like an explanation on why my comment was deleted. When a comment is deleted, a PM should be sent to the user explaining the reasoning behind the comment removal. AFAIK, nothing I posted was against forum regulations. It is quite disconcerting if mods are now going around deleting comments that they do not personally agree with, especially if they are not going to notify the users of their removal. So to the mod who deleted my comment, please explain.

Thanks,
Aaron
They've been doing personal opinion deletion for a few months now. It's quite disconcerting and they'll delete this too. I've seen heavy handed moderation kill many a formerly great forum. This forum will be gone soon too because of the moderation but almost no one sees it yet.

I have a guess that the mod doing these deletions is young, leftist and Asian so anything that rubs against the modern uberPC views on race is just automatically wiped.

Last edited by iolinux333; Aug 17, 2014 at 12:08 PM.
iolinux333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:40 PM   #17
nick42983
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
I tried Beats Music for a while and was unimpressed. The only draw was that I could use my iTunes Store credit. The app has been laggy and on numerous occasions has skipped tracks midway through a song, very frustrating when you're getting into the groove of a workout.

Apple's weird appeals to leftist groups are a disturbing trend. I know that Steve Jobs and I probably had little in common politically, but he never made politics (especially racial politics) part of Apple's marketing plan. The apocryphal quote attributed to Michael Jordan comes to mind "Republicans buy shoes also".

I'm disgusted by Tim Cook's disappointment at Apple's diversity numbers, apparently there are too many white men working for Apple. I dislike Spike Lee, I think he's a weasel who hates white people. I have no interest in supporting black pride events like what's depicted in this video. More power to you if you want to, I've cancelled my Beats subscription. I think the 11,000 songs (30 days of music) in my iTunes library should keep me occupied for a long time.
__________________
1.7 GHz i7 Macbook Air, 8GB RAM, 256GB
iPhone 4S 32GB
iPad Mini 16GB
nick42983 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2014, 02:29 PM   #18
iolinux333
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtech42 View Post
Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I said that the Apple TV was still a hobby, and I hope they are going to announce something soon. I don't see what is so wrong with saying that.
This place really feels like ultimately the shots are being called behind the scenes by Apple. Is there a forum out there where people can be genuinely critical of the company without their posts being deleted?

I'm starting to be surprised I haven't been banned yet I think a few of my posts were getting at stuff Apple just doesn't want known. If you never see me again that means I was banned.
iolinux333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:49 PM   #19
1080p
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
I don't know why Spike Lee is accepted in society. He is a bigger racist than anyone I have seen!
1080p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 02:20 AM   #20
Poisednoise
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by macduke View Post
MODS:

I would like an explanation on why my comment was deleted. When a comment is deleted, a PM should be sent to the user explaining the reasoning behind the comment removal. AFAIK, nothing I posted was against forum regulations. It is quite disconcerting if mods are now going around deleting comments that they do not personally agree with, especially if they are not going to notify the users of their removal. So to the mod who deleted my comment, please explain.

Thanks,
Aaron
I too was surprised to see my post deleted without any notification. I don't expect a right of appeal, or even necessarily a rational explanation for moderation: I accept that if you post on a forum then you are subject to the whims of moderators with whom you might not agree. But simply to delete posts without any form of pm to the poster seems most odd. I am messaging the moderators suggesting that this is an area of moderation policy the mods should seek to amend.
Poisednoise is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:04 AM   #21
macduke
macrumors 68030
 
macduke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Columbia, MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poisednoise View Post
I too was surprised to see my post deleted without any notification. I don't expect a right of appeal, or even necessarily a rational explanation for moderation: I accept that if you post on a forum then you are subject to the whims of moderators with whom you might not agree. But simply to delete posts without any form of pm to the poster seems most odd. I am messaging the moderators suggesting that this is an area of moderation policy the mods should seek to amend.
I still have yet to see a response by any mod to my comment, lol. I've been around here a while and the few times I've had a post removed, they've provided a legitimate reason—usually when a debate got too heated. This time though—wow. I was responding to people saying that it's racist to not like Dr. Dre. All I wrote was that racism is not liking someone solely because of the color of their skin. I don't like Dr. Dre because of his behavior. I also said that it's ok to not like a business owned by a minority. Not BECAUSE it's owned by a minority, but just happens to be owned by one.

Now it's time for me to take this thread to the extreme. Maybe this will get the mods attention? But an Apple executive did write this, and this is an Apple site, so I think it should be ok. I've never seen them remove quotes by Apple executives before. I'll even overly censor it, for the children:

"B**ches ain't ****** but h**s and tricks
Lick on these n*ts and s**k the d**k"

- Dr. Dre, Apple Executive

But sure, perfectly respectable guy, right? I'm sure this is what Apple meant when they said they are working towards more diversity. They clearly need more misogynistic men running the company. Or people who use racial slurs when bragging about Apple buying their company before the deal was even completed. Classy—Apple all the way. Steve would approve 110%.
__________________
15" Retina MacBook Pro / Quad 2.6GHz Core i7 / 16GB / 512GB SSD
128GB iPhone 6 Plus / 64GB iPad Mini Retina LTE / Original iPhone & iPad
Canon 7D / 24-105L / 100-400L / Sony RX100 / Xbox One
macduke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 01:17 AM   #22
JAT
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mpls, MN
Never saw your posts, but I'd guess from your discussion it is because they were too politically charged in nature and this is not the PRSI forum where they allow more of that. Could also be off-topic.

Why does every thread with a pic of a person with darker skin than this turn into a political nightmare? People are psychotic.
__________________
-- Spiky
JAT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 05:39 AM   #23
japasneezemonk
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nomad
Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post
It's a Spike Lee joint.

By the way, what the hell happened to Danny A.? The passage of time has not been kind.
he's 81

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricci View Post
Born In Brooklyn NYC! Great movie for the time! Great time that day! Had fun! Looking at so few responses goes to show how many poeple never heard of the movie and/or how young Mac rumors poster are!
you'd be surprised at how old Macrumors members can be. Reddit users skew older sometimes.
japasneezemonk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:22 PM   #24
JobsGang
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by macduke View Post
I still have yet to see a response by any mod to my comment, lol. I've been around here a while and the few times I've had a post removed, they've provided a legitimate reason—usually when a debate got too heated. This time though—wow. I was responding to people saying that it's racist to not like Dr. Dre. All I wrote was that racism is not liking someone solely because of the color of their skin. I don't like Dr. Dre because of his behavior. I also said that it's ok to not like a business owned by a minority. Not BECAUSE it's owned by a minority, but just happens to be owned by one.

Now it's time for me to take this thread to the extreme. Maybe this will get the mods attention? But an Apple executive did write this, and this is an Apple site, so I think it should be ok. I've never seen them remove quotes by Apple executives before. I'll even overly censor it, for the children:

"B**ches ain't ****** but h**s and tricks
Lick on these n*ts and s**k the d**k"

- Dr. Dre, Apple Executive

But sure, perfectly respectable guy, right? I'm sure this is what Apple meant when they said they are working towards more diversity. They clearly need more misogynistic men running the company. Or people who use racial slurs when bragging about Apple buying their company before the deal was even completed. Classy—Apple all the way. Steve would approve 110%.
Dude no one cares.Your quoting lyrics from over 20 years ago.If the Dre deal upsets you so much sell all your apple stuff and move on.
JobsGang is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 02:46 PM   #25
macduke
macrumors 68030
 
macduke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Columbia, MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobsGang View Post
Dude no one cares.Your quoting lyrics from over 20 years ago.If the Dre deal upsets you so much sell all your apple stuff and move on.
That's the lamest response I've ever read on this site. How about no? I think Apple makes good stuff, and I want to continue using good gear (because there are no alternatives), and now I see them making poor decisions. So hell yeah I'm going to call them out on it. Browett was a poor decision and we all called them out on that. There was clear evidence that the retail experience for customers was suffering. I knew a guy who worked at the store in Leawood, KS and he said that things were going downhill quickly. Sometimes Apple just makes dumb calls. But besides all that, my comment was mainly aimed at all the people who say you're racist if you don't like Beats or Dr. Dre. The whole point of my original comment (that was deleted) was debunking that. Those original posts were also deleted. Dre being a minority has nothing to do with it. I don't like Beats and Dre because of the person he is inside (use of racial slurs and curse words when drunkenly leaking the Apple deal is very recent), not his outer appearance. I don't like Eminem either, but that doesn't make me racist towards white people.
__________________
15" Retina MacBook Pro / Quad 2.6GHz Core i7 / 16GB / 512GB SSD
128GB iPhone 6 Plus / 64GB iPad Mini Retina LTE / Original iPhone & iPad
Canon 7D / 24-105L / 100-400L / Sony RX100 / Xbox One
macduke is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC