Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
What percentage capacity does a battery have to drop too until Apple replace it under warranty. Just noticed my iPad Air is down too 85% after 233 cycles

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
How did you find this information about your iPad battery?

Using a jailbreak tweet from cydia batterylife
[
8D627D69-F7EA-436B-82CA-18C9BA74E9D6_zpss0sacwdf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That's my phone tho

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
[
URL]

That's my phone tho

If it's under warranty they'll swap it out with a refurb but if you state it's a battery issue they'll ask how you drived at those numbers. Saying the word Cydia won't help your case.

The iPad battery is designed for 1000 cycles after which it drops to an 80 % charge level which is still good. Btw by the time the battery is an issue you will have moved onto something else.

MrMacUser

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2014
You can check battery capacity on any iOS device without jailbreaking by using iBackupBot. Install it on your computer and plug in your iPhone or iPad. I've never used the backup features (no need to really with iCloud) but the program will show you some useful info including the battery capacity, design capacity, and number of cycles.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
What percentage capacity does a battery have to drop too until Apple replace it under warranty. Just noticed my iPad Air is down too 85% after 233 cycles

I believe it has to be under 80% in less than 500 cycles. Per their tests.

So, back it up and take it in. what do you have to lose

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
The folks at the Apple store have some sort of sliding scale that they consult when doing diagnostics on iOS devices, and a graph is shown that points out the condition of the battery, number of cycles, and available capacity. So it might not be that cut and dry. Best thing to do is go to an Apple store or contact Apple support and let them run their diagnostics, and they'll tell you if the battery is a candidate for being replaced.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Mentioning your jailbreak will only hurt your case, all you can do is tell them the approximate amount of time you are getting from a charge. Be prepared to lose your jailbreak because Apple may choose to restore your iPad to to see if that fixes your issue.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Mentioning your jailbreak will only hurt your case, all you can do is tell them the approximate amount of time you are getting from a charge. Be prepared to lose your jailbreak because Apple may choose to restore your iPad to to see if that fixes your issue.

Second this. If you mention jailbreaking, at best anyone at Apple will blame the jailbreak and tell you to restore it before coming back to them. At worst, they'll try to make a case for not servicing that iPad at all because of it.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
You can always just download iBackupBot and see the battery life that way, and it doesn't even require a jailbreak.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The folks at the Apple store have some sort of sliding scale that they consult when doing diagnostics on iOS devices, and a graph is shown that points out the condition of the battery, number of cycles, and available capacity. So it might not be that cut and dry. Best thing to do is go to an Apple store or contact Apple support and let them run their diagnostics, and they'll tell you if the battery is a candidate for being replaced.

Actually it's very very cut and dry. They must run their test. If the device is under warranty and it says service, it's a free replacement of the battery if possible or device if not. If it says worn or you are not under warranty you pay. Although I have heard but not yet seen for myself that a worn battery if you have apple care plus is covered. My BF says that he himself has not seen a worn battey with apple care so he's not sure but that is the rumor.

If the test says normal a swap has to be signed off by the managers and they get a ding for making an exception. Too many of those and it screws with raises, bonuses etc so stores are generally loathe to do it.

The rest, the BF says, for this firm rule is that too many stores were swapping batteries and devices that were merely the result of bad software etc and batteries can't be recycled the same way that other parts can. So the wasted expense was not cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.