Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Some attendees of the Pokemon World Championships, which is slated to begin this weekend in Washington, D.C. are being shown a version of the trading card game that will be released on iPad, according to Polygon. Video personality Josh Wittenkeller took a photo of the game running on an iPad.

BvGaIxWIcAA_7Wp.jpg-large-e1408152264246.jpg
The Pokemon Company confirmed Polygon that the game is real, but it does not yet have a timetable for release. The Pokemon Company has already released many apps for iOS, including the Pokedex for iOS app, however this would be the first full game the company will release for iOS.

Article Link: The Pokemon Trading Card Game is Coming to iPad

DarkCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2013
This is awesome news! Hopefully this is the next step for a full Pokemon game on iOS devices.

Handheld gaming devices are a dying industry. If Nintendo wants to keep Pokemon games relevant, I believe they're going to have to release on other hardware eventually.

Harrycooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
London
As a frequent player of the Pokémon TCGO, I could not be more excited for this! I was just thinking about how I could use an iPad version today, when my partner was using my rMBP!

Also, if you think this is going to mean we'll be getting a full Pokémon main series game on iOS, think again. Nintendo are not 'doomed'.

----------

This is awesome news! Hopefully this is the next step for a full Pokemon game on iOS devices.

Handheld gaming devices are a dying industry. If Nintendo wants to keep Pokemon games relevant, I believe they're going to have to release on other hardware eventually.

I wouldn't call >43 million sales of a device 'a dying industry'.

----------

in-app purchase -> charizard $500

I expect this will work exactly the same as the current desktop version of the TCG. There are IAP, but for booster packs, and you can't buy individual cards. Also, this game mostly works along side the physical TCG in the fact that a physical purchase grants you a code for a free online pack. I've actually got secret rare cards on the TCGO without having to pay anything. You earn the coins through a 'story mode' which you then redeem for booster packs. Such fun!

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
No, the industry is very much alive.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Can we also get OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire while you're at it, Nintendo? :)

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Fantastic! Been waiting for some Pokémon games to come to iOS for a while now, hopefully this will happen, and soon!

DarkCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2013

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
Honestly, most of the original 150 are terrible compared to some of the later expansions. Give it a chance!

Original:

Charizard (a fire breathing dragon)

006Charizard_OS_anime.png

Mewtwo (a human experiment gone wrong / master of physic abilities)

150Mewtwo_AG_anime.png

Newer:

Garbador (a pile of garbage, literally)

dasutodasu_by_xous54-d33eonh.png

Vanillish (a vanilla ice cream cone)

583.png

Chandelure (a chandelier.. if you couldn't tell)

chandelure_by_xous54-d3cmk9y.png

------------------

We all have opinions but.... C'MON!!!!

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
Original:

Charizard (a fire breathing dragon)

Mewtwo (a human experiment gone wrong / master of physic abilities)

Newer:

Garbador (a pile of garbage, literally)

Vanillish (a vanilla ice cream cone)

Chandelure (a chandelier.. if you couldn't tell)

------------------

We all have opinions but.... C'MON!!!!

Nice, a self selected sample, so convincing!
-
Anyway, I don't see this as an indication of the RPGS coming to iOS. The TCG is meant to be on many platforms, and it's free to download. It's a totally different model than Nintendo's blockbuster games. I would love to have the Pokemon RPGS on my phone, but that might take some time (for Nintendo to lose hope on hardware).

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Tell that to Nintendo.

This was a discussion about handhelds and you're showing graphs for consoles. :confused: Handhelds are a hot item right now, especially for Nintendo. The Vita is doing quite well, also.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
It should be added that this game is already out for PC. You get online codes w the newer physical cards and or buy digital on eBay etc according to friends.

----------

This was a discussion about handhelds and you're showing graphs for consoles. :confused: Handhelds are a hot item right now, especially for Nintendo. The Vita is doing quite well, also.

I own a vita and is not doing quite well. Even Sony has stopped doing first party titles for now. I do love my vita though.

selfsilent

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2014
This was a discussion about handhelds and you're showing graphs for consoles. :confused: Handhelds are a hot item right now.

That doesn't explain the last graph though does it, the one where their stock price drops and wipes millions off the value of the company. Yeah, looks like handhelds are really pulling them out of the fire :rolleyes:.

wsc9005

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2011
Scotland, UK
Nintendo alone. The PS4 and Xbox One are breaking records and the 3DS and Vita are still hot.

Yeah, the Wii U is a failure, but that doesn't count for the whole industry.

At least Vita is a complete failure in Britain, you can get it from a second hand shop nowadays

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
That doesn't explain the last graph though does it, the one where their stock price drops and wipes millions off the value of the company. Yeah, looks like handhelds are really pulling them out of the fire :rolleyes:.
Nobody said they were. That has nothing to do with the original point that handhelds are not dying off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.