Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 15, 2014, 02:11 PM   #26
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongxinshe View Post
You are totally wrong. Unless you are a high-profile figure, you have a much much better chance to have privacy in China than in the US. The US NSA is much much more capable than the Chinese one, they are as immoral as each other, and as willing to invade everyone's privacy as each other.

I am not going to discuss whether I am wrong or not. Let's not fool ourselves. You do not honestly think anything is really private anymore? In either China or the US or anywhere else for that matter. We would have to live in a perfectly closed bubble without communication for that to happen.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 07:24 PM   #27
Tech198
macrumors 68040

well,,, it its in china, you can bet your lucky socks its not encrypted, or if it is, not very well done..

We of course do know already that China goes after U.S...... Need i say more ?
Old Aug 16, 2014, 04:01 AM   #28
keaide
macrumors regular

I wonder how Apple determines whose data to store in China. How to identify a Chinese customer? Is it the mobile phone company? Or the credit card? I have a German iTunes account, but currently live in China. Is my iCloud data now stored in China? What happens when I move back? I don't want my personal iCloud data to be stored in China forever just because I lived there once.

Last edited by keaide; Aug 16, 2014 at 11:44 PM.
keaide is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2014, 06:33 AM   #29
s2mikey
macrumors 65816

China, china, china. Can't it just go away? Ugh.
s2mikey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2014, 07:40 AM   #30
IGregory
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphemus View Post
Knowing what we know about civil liberties and state surveillance in China, this is basically the same as Apple just handing over its Chinese customers' phones to the government.

$ > ethics.
As I see it, data generated in China should stay in China. If the Chinese government is involved with surveillance, and I am sure they are still being communists, that's a political issue for the Chinese people to resolve.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 02:23 PM   #31
hachiman
macrumors regular

You want to know an easy way someone can track where you have been? You don't even need a police tracing software.

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Frequent Locations

Where it says History, it shows you where you have been, with an estimated address of those locations, how many times have you visited those areas, and exactly what time (from when to when, by the minute) and date.

It even shows you a GPS Map as you select any of those particular locations.

The NSA/CIA doesn't need to track down and spook you. Your phone is already doing all the hard work, there's even two cameras and a few microphones to clearly see and hear you. Now with Apple having a data center in China, China will also get a copy of everything. Don't fool yourself thinking there's no law that allows China from doing that to stop them from making it so.

Last edited by hachiman; Aug 16, 2014 at 02:34 PM.
hachiman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2014, 04:05 PM   #32
zipa
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
China and privacy on the same sentence is already the biggest oxymoron.
I guess what you meant to say was "USA and privacy", what with the NSA sniffing and backdooring into pretty much anything that ever was, is, or will be.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:42 PM   #33
B4U
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipa View Post
I guess what you meant to say was "USA and privacy", what with the NSA sniffing and backdooring into pretty much anything that ever was, is, or will be.
The only difference is that, China still denies, denies, and denies...on just about anything.
Do we have to go through the history class from not too long ago? (I am looking at June 4, 1989. And then the SARS outbreak back in 2003. Do I need more examples?)

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion