Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
As a salaried employee you must still be paid for overtime under law. I am salaried and am paid overtime all the time. It is also illegal to work more than 40 hrs a week without paid overtime and illegal to work more than 7 days without a day of rest.

There are many professions that are exempt from U.S. overtime laws. From the Department of Labor website, the exemptions include:

• Executive, administrative, and professional employees (including teachers and academic administrative personnel in elementary and secondary schools), outside sales employees, and certain skilled computer professionals.
  • Employees of certain seasonal amusement or recreational establishments
  • Employees of certain small newspapers and switchboard operators of small telephone companies
  • Seamen employed on foreign vessels
  • Employees engaged in fishing operations
  • Employees engaged in newspaper delivery
  • Farm workers employed on small farms (i.e., those that used less than 500 "man‑days" of farm labor in any calendar quarter of the preceding calendar year)
  • Casual babysitters and persons employed as companions to the elderly or infirm
  • Certain commissioned employees of retail or service establishments
  • Auto, truck, trailer, farm implement, boat, or aircraft salespersons employed by non‑manufacturing establishments primarily engaged in selling these items to ultimate purchasers
  • Auto, truck, or farm implement parts‑clerks and mechanics employed by non-manufacturing establishments primarily engaged in selling these items to ultimate purchasers
  • Railroad and air carrier employees, taxi drivers, certain employees of motor carriers, seamen on American vessels, and local delivery employees paid on approved trip rate plans
  • Announcers, news editors, and chief engineers of certain non‑metropolitan broadcasting stations
  • Domestic service workers who reside in their employers' residences
  • Employees of motion picture theaters
  • Farmworkers

A computer professional making more than about $28 an hour is exempt, for example. That's pretty much every non-novice programmer these days.

And if they paid teachers overtime, every school district would be bankrupt pronto.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Programmers are abused all the time :)

For example, we're finishing up a project with a hard deadline, so we've been coding for 80 hours a week, and then sometimes 24 hours on weekends. As salaried workers, we get no overtime.

Sometimes I'd love to have a job where I was guaranteed just 8 hours a day. OTOH, it wouldn't pay as much.

That’s why you take the bull by the horns and do your own thing :D

Not to say I don’t also put in some “off hours” time, but it’s mostly controlled by how [well] I manage my own schedule.

Heck, I’m tinkering with some code on a Saturday [this] morning but it’s while Adventure Time plays in the background, with the delicious smell of homemade pancakes in the air :cool:

I know that’s not an option for everyone, just some random Saturday morning (er, mostly off-topic) chit-chat :)

kdarling

macrumors P6
Heck, I’m tinkering with some code on a Saturday [this] morning but it’s while Adventure Time plays in the background, with the delicious smell of homemade pancakes in the air :cool:

Programmers love to code :) Companies know this, and count on it.

I'm not complaining about the extra time put in. It's mostly us doing it because we want to put out the best product we can. Matter of pride in workmanship, UI and UX.

Besides, I get to do it all from home. Can't beat that! It's just the usual work-at-home problem: your desk is always there and calling you. lol

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Programmers love to code :) Companies know this, and count on it.

I'm not complaining about the extra time put in. It's mostly us doing it because we want to put out the best product we can. Matter of pride in workmanship, UI and UX.

Besides, I get to do it all from home. Can't beat that! It's just the usual work-at-home problem: your desk is always there and calling you. lol

Ahh, I didn’t realize you were working out of the homestead, same here.

Yeah, I tell folks when you work from home, you’re sort of never at work, but always at work :D We live at the beach, and I’ll get a surf report update in the middle of the day about some incredible surf ... must ... resist. OK, I won’t, but then I’m up at 2am deploying an update.

Have a good weekend :cool:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

Overall score summary of management functions at Changshu

Americans "why I'd work that job for free! They should quit complaining"

Watch how Americans don't mind that wealthy businessmen (apple) takes advantage of poor favored workers.

Wow, with those high scores, they SHOULD quit complaining...

My friends and I have worked for companies in the US that would be lucky to get over 50% in ONE of those squares... :eek:

Meanwhile, massive layoffs continue...

http://www.dailyjobcuts.com

http://www.thelayoff.com

DonJudgeMe

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2014
Arizona
As a salaried employee you must still be paid for overtime under law. I am salaried and am paid overtime all the time. It is also illegal to work more than 40 hrs a week without paid overtime and illegal to work more than 7 days without a day of rest.

All of you need to seriously report this to your representatives!

What year are you living in? Seriously...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.