Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, a photo surfaced showing what looked very much in line with Apple's usual iPhone battery design but with a capacity of 1,810 mAh, higher than the 1,560 mAh battery found in the iPhone 5s. Speculation naturally pointed toward the new battery being for the 4.7-inch iPhone 6, with a number of observers being disappointed in the modest capacity increase considering the larger display slated for the device.

Just last week, an analyst report claimed the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 will actually include a 2,100 mAh battery, giving hope to those looking for a more substantial increase but lacking any evidence to support the claim.

New photos shared by Nowhereelse.fr [Google Translate] now provide additional support for the original 1,810 mAh claim. The photos offer a good look at the batteries, which appear to contain the full set of regulatory and specification text as well as an Apple logo, with one photo showing the batteries in trays for shipment.

(Click for larger)
The one battery shown in closeup does include a manufacturing date of June, making it several months old, while the original leaked battery had a more recent manufacturing date of July. Still, the growing evidence for the 1,810 mAh battery suggests the analyst claim of a 2,100 mAh battery may indeed be incorrect.

These new photos of the rumored 4.7-inch iPhone 6 battery come just after other photos surfaced from a different source allegedly showing the battery for the 5.5-inch iPhone 6. That battery checks in with a capacity of 2,915 mAh, potentially offering a significant increase in battery life depending on how much more power the device draws than its smaller sibling.

Article Link: More Photos Point Toward 1,810 mAh Battery for 4.7-Inch iPhone 6

tascon

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
iPhone 6 NEEDS to have all day battery. I am tired of charging the iPhone 5s during the day.

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
Watt Hours are different, but I'm sure that's not a huge deal since it's such a slight variation.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
If its 1,810 mAh hopefully the A8 and display will be really efficient to make up for it. Its a big difference tho in capacity if they 5.5" iPhone is 2,915 mAh.

Just looked it up the iPhone 5s has 5.73 Whr this at 6.91 Whr is a decent increase.

Last edited:

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
I'm ok with this. My 5s seems to be the exception to the rule as it lasts all day on a single charge with no problem. Even with heavy use the battery percentage does not dip below 40% by the end of the day.

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
I'm ok with this. My 5s seems to be the exception to the rule as it lasts all day on a single charge with no problem. Even with heavy use the battery percentage does not dip below 40% by the end of the day.

Yep, we're probably going to get something like 18 hour on-screen battery, with iOS improvements. Can't wait!!!

Milese3

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2014
Southampton - United Kingdom
A bit of a disappointment. I personally had hoped for the 2,100mAh battery perviously speculated. Helpfully the rumored 5.5" model offers a significant increase with it's 2,915mAh battery. I guess only time will tell...

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Don't really care about the battery capacity, I care more about the battery life. As long as that is increased, it's fine. I don't think that's impossible, remember the iPad Air in which Apple increased the speed and battery life while reducing the capacity.

Compared to the iPhone 5S, the 6 will have:

- A slightly larger screen (38% larger)
- A slightly larger battery (16% larger)
- A less power hungry SoC (rumoured)
- A less power hungry screen (rumoured)

I think battery life could actually be increased over the 5S substantially.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
Don't really care about the battery capacity, I care more about the battery life. As long as that is increased, it's fine. I don't think that's impossible, remember the iPad Air in which Apple increased the speed and battery life while reducing the capacity.

Imagine if we'd get both, apple's expertise on battery life and a really high battery capacity

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
The leaked images above pretty much confirm it, which is extremely disappointing. A little above 2,000 mAh would've been great.

iHack13

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
city of octoberfest
Well. I guess that's it. I'm out.

No. Apple can't get 1 day from this capacity, like they cant build an engine that runs 500 miles the gallon and has a 3 gallon tank.

Stop dreaming.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
iPhone 6 NEEDS to have all day battery. I am tired of charging the iPhone 5s during the day.

How on earth are you ending up needing to charge it during the day? If you start the day at 100% you need to use it insanely much, or with some really power hungry or really poor optimised apps with very high brightness on the screen for it not lasting through the day?

I for one charge it overnight, and then I will mostly end up having 30-60% when I end up going to bed depending on my usage and whether I had to use it in bright light so the display had to run at 100% brightness for a long period of time. I have yet to be able to go from 100% to under 10% no matter how much I use the phone during the day.

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
Sounds about right. Lower power CPU (hopefully) and this battery would do.

jumanji

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2003
Austin, TX
That sucks...it just means I'll be buying a max boost battery case. I have that now with my 5S and I had it with my 5.

I really wish rather than making it super thin...they'd offer a bigger battery.

shubie

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2014
Hopefully with iOS 8 using as little battery as possible this will be enough. I trust Apple knows what they're doing. . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.