Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
As long as the apple announcement says "longer batter life than the 5S" (or something to that affect.. X% increase in browsing or whatever), I'll be happy.
I hated the 5S announcement of "same great battery life".
In my experience, the iPhone 5 battery life was poor. So "same great battery life" on the 5S wasn't too promising.
Granted, it did go from 4-5 hours usage on the iPhone 5, to 5-6 hours usage on the 5S for me.

I even switched networks to see if it was a signal issue with one or the other, but didn't see much life improvement.

Since unplugging this morning, I'm on 25% after 4:27 usage. Estimated 5:56 total usage before it's empty. That's being on wifi all day. If I have to use mobile data more, it's more like top end of 4-5 again.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Don't really care about the battery capacity, I care more about the battery life. As long as that is increased, it's fine. I don't think that's impossible, remember the iPad Air in which Apple increased the speed and battery life while reducing the capacity.

Compared to the iPhone 5S, the 6 will have:

- A slightly larger screen (38% larger)
- A slightly larger battery (16% larger)
- A less power hungry SoC (rumoured)
- A less power hungry screen (rumoured)

I think battery life could actually be increased over the 5S substantially.
The wifi and LTE chips are also supposed to be less power hungry as well.

saba01

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2011
I'm ok with this. My 5s seems to be the exception to the rule as it lasts all day on a single charge with no problem. Even with heavy use the battery percentage does not dip below 40% by the end of the day.

This is no exception. I don't know who complains here about the battery on 5s but our three 5s do behave like yours.

Alchematron

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2007
Maui Hawaii
No.

iPhone 5S: 1,550mAH battery; 4.0 inch screen.
iPhone 6: 1800mAH battery; 4.7 inch screen

1800mAH is about 16% more capacity than 1,550mAH
4.7 inch screen is about 14% bigger than 4.0 inch screen.

A8-Processor: Maybe 5% more efficient (real life effect).

End result: Same overall battery life performance (IMO), about 7% better than the 5S.

The 5.5" model on the other hand is going to have hours more battery per charge.

Besides the larger screen, another reason I will be buying the 5.5

Assuming it is a reality :)

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Furthermore, saying that iOS is well battery optimized isn't helping anymore, more and more Android is having better battery life
How is this relevant, surely the important thing is that the iPhone has a battery life suitable for itself? not if Android and Android phones are now getting better battery life and introducing energy saving techniques?

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Fantastic. If the battery life isn't any better, I'll have to buy a case with a battery or something, making the phone way fatter than it has to be. Apple is really messing up with the batteries it seems. It's the only thing I hear everyone complain about, but yet they do nothing but try to make the phone thinner, something hardly anyone cares about.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Apple has no motivation to provide longer battery life span. If a phone starts off with a battery life span to just last a day; over two years it will degrade to requiring a charge maybe twice or even thrice a day. That is a powerful motivation for people to just upgrade to a new phone.

If Apple started off with a battery life span of 2 days, over 2 years it may only degrade to 1 day - which may not push enough people to replace their phones.

Apple, as we know today, does not just thrive on margins - but also on revenue.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
It would make the iPhone 6 a brick.

I'll take a larger iPhone or "brick" any day.

I would also bet you if Apple offered a 6B (for "battery") that was thicker but lasted 2 days that phone would outsell the thin phone 2-1.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
iPhone 6 NEEDS to have all day battery. I am tired of charging the iPhone 5s during the day.

What do you do that you need to charge during the day? My two year old iPhone 5 still easily lasts all day. If I use GPS for an hour or so then I probably end up around 20-25% by the time I go to bed. If no gps then more like 45-50%. And regardless of gps I end the day with usage north of 4 hours and standby north of 12. How much do you use your phone??

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
There is no way the iPhone won't have an over all increase in battery life, even if it is minimal.

----------

No, they announce the event a week before.
It can be anywhere from 2 week to a weeks before the event, though they rarely announce what the event is for.

PhiLLoW

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2014
Apple has no motivation to provide longer battery life span. If a phone starts off with a battery life span to just last a day; over two years it will degrade to requiring a charge maybe twice or even thrice a day. That is a powerful motivation for people to just upgrade to a new phone.

If Apple started off with a battery life span of 2 days, over 2 years it may only degrade to 1 day - which may not push enough people to replace their phones.

Apple, as we know today, does not just thrive on margins - but also on revenue.

Sad but true.

My iPhone 5 works like a charm. Unfortunately the battery capacity decreased after nearly 2 years so that it doesn't last a whole day anymore.

6 months ago it was way better. Still had 30-40% after a normal day on the road.
Always used "moves" to record work-time but can't use it anymore because it kills the battery way too fast. Especially when there's a low carrier signal...

enricopalazzo

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2014
No.

iPhone 5S: 1,550mAH battery; 4.0 inch screen.
iPhone 6: 1800mAH battery; 4.7 inch screen

1800mAH is about 16% more capacity than 1,550mAH
4.7 inch screen is about 14% bigger than 4.0 inch screen.

A8-Processor: Maybe 5% more efficient (real life effect).

End result: Same overall battery life performance (IMO), about 7% better than the 5S.

The 5.5" model on the other hand is going to have hours more battery per charge.

4.7" is actually about 38% more displayarea than 4.0" and about 2x more Pixel than 5s.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
If battery life is a big deal for you, stop waiting for the iPhone 6 and get a phone that is proven to last longer. There's no way the iPhone 6 is going to come close to best in class battery life, and it seems like that's what some of you want. It's definitely a legit need, but I doubt Apple is going to go the extra mile to meet that need.

The iPhone is, in my opinion, the best all-around smartphone, but other manufacturers are doing a great job at addressing specific needs (huge screens, durability, battery life, etc).

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
iPhone 6 NEEDS to have all day battery. I am tired of charging the iPhone 5s during the day.

The only times I've ever had issues with battery life on my iPhone 5 have been, ironically, when I'm using it as a phone. Also, if I use it to shoot lengthy videos, the battery drains quickly. But that's infrequent. Most of the time I'm using it for Web browsing, texting and e-mailing. And for that, the iPhone has easily lasted all day.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Since unplugging this morning, I'm on 25% after 4:27 usage. Estimated 5:56 total usage before it's empty. That's being on wifi all day. If I have to use mobile data more, it's more like top end of 4-5 again.

This was posted at 11:54am (at least according to my time). Can I ask what time you unplugged this morning? And if that 4:27 is usage or standby? If it is true usage, it would indicate that you've used the phone non-stop from roughly 7:30am-11:54am when posted. Is that the case?

The reason I ask is that there are countless inconsistencies in people reporting horrible vs ok vs good vs great battery life. My battery tends to last "all day", but my "all day" certainly does not include 4+ hours of "use" by noon.

My use patterns are much more variable, and the only time I have trouble with running low before 7 or 8pm is when I have several hours of phone time and/or GPS and/or tethering use in a particular day.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
The iPhone 5s has a 1560 mAh battery. I read somewhere that the display uses about 50% of the power. The power usage of the display is proportional to it's area, so the new display needs 4.7^2/4^2 = 1.38 times more energy. So a the new battery should have

1560/2 + 1560/2*4.7^2/4^2 = 1856.4 mAh.​

That's pretty close I guess.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012

The reason I ask is that there are countless inconsistencies in people reporting horrible vs ok vs good vs great battery life. ....

I am convinced that the same phone can record vastly different battery lifespans based on the frequency bands used by the networks and signal strength. My AT&T iPhone 5 phone left overnight unplugged in Arizona (-90 field test) loses about 15 - 20%; the same phone left overnight unplugged in Virginia (-85 field test) loses only about 5%. Same phone, same battery and same background usage. The only difference is the signal strength and probably the frequency AT&T uses in the two locations.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
Funny how people defend apple by saying that their phones last all day and they end up with 40% by the time they go to bed. Well, GOOD FOR YOU. I'm genuinely happy for you. My mother charges her iPhone once every 2 days too. But that's not how most of us use our phones. I have a 4s and it lasts aprox. 4-5 hours of Usage time. Calls (plenty), messages (SMS are fine, but iMessage drains the battery like CRAZY), plus some team stream and stuff like that. I listen to music only in my car on iTunes match on 3g, but it's plugged and is charging in the meantime. Still, battery life SUCKS, especially when you use maps (or whatever requires gps), make photos and stuff. And it's only because apple makes it slimmer and slimmer and slimmer. So please, stop saying that since YOU don't have problems NOBODY has problems. It's simply depends on HOW you use your phone. And unfortunately it just CAN'T handle heavy usage. It just can't. But it CAN handle an hour of calls, some instagramming of your dinner and and lots of messages you teenagers love to send. Only problem is.. that's not enough.

enricopalazzo

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2014
The iPhone 5s has a 1560 mAh battery. I read somewhere that the display uses about 50% of the power. The power usage of the display is proportional to it's area, so the new display needs 4.7^2/4^2 = 1.38 times more energy. So a the new battery should have

1560/2 + 1560/2*4.7^2/4^2 = 1856.4 mAh.​

That's pretty close I guess.

You forgot the higher resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.