Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yup - and again, that's really only because there is still a subset of developers and companies out there that ignore the Mac userbase.

The ONLY reasons I have a Bootcamp partition on both my Macs are:

(1) SWTOR is Windows only.

(2) My Master's Program requires certain Excel add-ins so I HAVE to use excel.

----------

I wish my IT department was that forward thinking....jealous.

You play SWTOR too? :D

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
You wouldn't believe how popular chromebooks are becoming in our organisation, I think we have about 700 in use now. Overall we have about 22000 users and have transitioned everything online into google apps and custom built web apps in the last couple of years. Great thing now is that people are using different stuff to all work the same. I don't generally care if a user wishes to use a windows machine, a mac, linux or a chromebook (iOS and Android for some things too). Transition from Microsoft and Windows dependence is possible in a large organisation it just takes a little excitement from those that make the decisions that IT can be more flexible.

very cool. certain businesses chromebooks can be great for I hear you. I wish that we could be flexible like that, but a non windows box would only be good for RDP'ing to a windows box for us. We are not a large organization and don't have the power to push our primary vendor. I don't think I've heard of any businesses in our line of work that aren't on windows.

lead the way! and perhaps we'll eventually feel a ripple effect :)

stulowe2009

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2009
----------

[/COLOR]

I wish my IT department was that forward thinking....jealous.

haha, I wish ours was too. The fascinating thing is that a revolution has taken place largely independent of them. So much 'shadow IT' was going on that was much better than the systems being prescribed that they have ultimately had to follow on and open up. They are still very attached to their network servers and active directory but the users are not generally doing much with them now. Sad to say that IT become the dinosaurs within tech use and the focus shifts to the user. Ultimately IT are only needed now in some of our sites to simply keep the wifi running, that's about it.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Yup - and again, that's really only because there is still a subset of developers and companies out there that ignore the Mac userbase.

The ONLY reasons I have a Bootcamp partition on both my Macs are:

(1) SWTOR is Windows only.

(2) My Master's Program requires certain Excel add-ins so I HAVE to use excel.

Even when the game supports Mac, performance tends to be better on windows :p

Apple needs to care more about gpu drivers and gaming infrastructure (maybe sell a computer with a nonmobile gpu?). It's funny how they lead on iOS and couldnt care less on OSX (at least I get the feeling they couldnt care less)

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Even when the game supports Mac, performance tends to be better on windows :p

Apple needs to care more about gpu drivers and gaming infrastructure. It's funny how they lead on iOS and couldnt care less on OSX (at least I get the feeling they couldnt care less)

Hmm - I haven't done much computer gaming so I'll defer to you on this.

It does seem like GPUs lag in Mac machines. Heck, I wonder how close the A7 is graphically compared with Intel HD5000 or 4000....probably a lot closer than the A7 is to today's CPUs.

But considering this is a thread about productivity, gaming likely doesn't count :p

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
And yet I can send an email with an attachment on the first party Gmail application when I had my Android phone. I can send it on my Surface RT. I can send one on my cheap Lumia 520. The fact that there is a third party application to make up for what should be a first-party thing isn't a selling point.

I can send attachments in the stock email app just fine.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Which stock email application? I want to make sure we're on the same page here.

Edit: Like what OS specifically.

Here're a few ways I used to send attachments:

- attach stuff from stock apps are always available, photo, video from Photos app, documents from appropriate stock apps

- long press in reply email to attach photo/video

- almost all third party apps (box, Dropbox, etc) allow you to email documents and other media.

And soon, with ios 8, I'll be able to attach anything from iCloud folder, even when they're not on my iDevices and larger than 5GB. It doesn't get better than this.

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Here're a few ways I used to send attachments:

- attach stuff from stock apps are always available, photo, video from Photos app, documents from appropriate stock apps

- long press in reply email to attach photo/video

- almost all third party apps (box, Dropbox, etc) allow you to email documents and other media.

Only one of those is sending with the email application, the others are using third party applications to make up for a first party deficiency.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Downloads does not translate into usage. I can't remember how many abandoned apps I've bought in the name of productivity.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Only one of those is sending with the email application, the others are using third party applications to make up for a first party deficiency.

What are your needs?

- soon, with ios 8, I'll be able to attach anything from iCloud folder, even when they're not on my iDevices and larger than 5GB. It doesn't get better than this.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
What are your needs?

- soon, with ios 8, I'll be able to attach anything from iCloud folder, even when they're not on my iDevices and larger than 5GB. It doesn't get better than this.

The thing that's allowed by iOS 8 are exactly what's needed.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Serious question

If apple were to make a stylus, as in a fully integrated stylus (much like the s pen or the stylus found on surface 3), would it have any real use in the business world

I know I would love one as a university student to use in conjunction with notability. It will also be highly appreciated for the iPad digital artists out there.

What I'm asking is simply would a stylus improve PRODUCTIVITY in the business world.

Perhaps the so called iPad pro could exist for those needs ?

Forgive me if everything that I just said sounds utterly ridiculous :)

Well I had an HP 1100 years back. That was a Windows tablet with a Wacom stylus. I was a project manager. I took notes with my stylus during meetings. Typing wasn't an option because I needed to include screen mockups (we were doing software dev). I used OneNote and it converted my really bad handwriting into text but preserved the drawings. Took me about 10 mins to convert so I could circulate the notes. I would assume that even without OneNote taking notes would still be useful. Although I will admit OneNote is a really killer app.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Apple Launches Email Ad Campaign Focusing on Productivity

When someone advertises something as a productive device, it implies that the device can do everything you need to get actual real world work done all by itself. The iPad lacks that in almost every area. It's a good supplement to production, but that's about it. It's not efficient at all. Another critical aspect to "productivity'.

We have one, and I like it for very light casual activity, but a work machine it is most certainly not. Not even nearly.

I use the Index Card app for outlining and research on my iPad mini. I write with pages, I research with the iPad mini, cut and paste information into the outline or into the document I'm working on. Yes, I do productive work on my iPad mini.

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention, my sister uses her iPad Air to develope course material for the college where she teaches English Composition.

Last edited:

D-Dave

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
Of course the SP3 will be better for productivity, it's a full x86 computer. It has more power, for one. It has more programs for another. But it's hardly fair comparing the two, since one starts at 500$ and one starts at 800$. :p
I nevere said life is fair...but I agree those two devices are hardly within the same league.;)

The need for a bluetooth keyboard and a stylus to really take advantage of Office ( as opposed to typing on 1/2 a glass screen and using your finger to scribble really makes this productivity stand that fits every iPad compelling:

http://www.slideshare.net/mattaloha/unlocking-full-productivityofipads
Hmmm...am I the only one who thinks that this full size keyboard with iPad does not make much sense?
When I'm at home, size and weight do not matter: any Laptop or Desktop will let me work more productively then that combo...
When I'm traveling, size and weight do matter a lot: the standard keyboard has almost the same width and is thicker then an 11" MBA...without giving much benefit over a foldable or cover integrated keyboard...
What I am trying to say, if you are typing so much, that a travel keyboard does not suffice, you may be better of using a Laptop...if not, there is no need to waste space for the standard keyboard...

Obviously...ymmv

Last edited:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
although I understand making people more aware that Office is available, and it being a possible selling point....honestly I'd like to see them re-perfecting Pages and the other components of iWork and touting that all over the place. Everything pro users utilize shouldn't eventually go to a third-party app when we know Apple is more than capable of creating gold standard apps of their own. Sorry, not to go there again as has been done ad nauseum I'm sure, but it just comes to mind.

The sad part is. Apple isn't interested in making "the gold standard". They just want an easy to use version to appeal to the masses, which Pages 5 does well. I don't think you would have ever seen Apple post their 6 month update plan if it wasn't for the unexpected outcry from users who aren't as incompetent as Apple thinks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.