Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
Generally, apart from the first year of the device, we've seen an iPhone/iPad redesign every two years, e.g

iPhone

iPad

Therefore, based on this schedule, it would mean that we could expect an iPad Mini redesign this year, two years since it was introduced in 2012. Therefore, do you think that we'll see an iPad mini redesign this year? Or will Apple stick with the current design? We've heard a rumour about an iPad mini Air that's 33% thinner, though there's been no more information on that.

I'd say however, even if there was a redesign, how would they redesign it? Can the iPad be redesigned any more?

What do you think?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't we'll see a mini redesign, there's not much to redesign anyways - other then to make it thinner which I half expect but I don't think that constitutes a redesign.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
Even with the same design, the rMini was such a jump over the Mini 1, it really was way more than a "Mini 1S." I think this year's improvements will just be incremental (chip boost, Touch ID, etc.). The year after would be the likely time for a design change in both the mini and Air.

Where I could be wrong is if they do decide to incorporate the rounded edge Air design in the Mini this year to match the Air and the iPhone, which will both be rounded assuming all the leaks are true. "iPad Air Retina Mini." I can see that happening.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Don't you all think the iPad Mini is thin enough? I am looking at weight reduction if Apple were to change anything physical with Mini.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Generally, apart from the first year of the device, we've seen an iPhone/iPad redesign every two years, e.g

iPhone

iPad

Therefore, based on this schedule, it would mean that we could expect an iPad Mini redesign this year, two years since it was introduced in 2012. Therefore, do you think that we'll see an iPad mini redesign this year? Or will Apple stick with the current design? We've heard a rumour about an iPad mini Air that's 33% thinner, though there's been no more information on that.

I'd say however, even if there was a redesign, how would they redesign it? Can the iPad be redesigned any more?

What do you think?

It's not as simple to predict as that. Let me fix it:

iPhone line
2008 - introduced
2010 - glass/metal
2012 - bezeled aluminum
2014 - rounded edges

iPad line
2010 - introduced
2011 - tapered edges
2012 - bezeled aluminum

You can't conclude anything about a future iPad redesign except that the next redesign might take clues from the iPhone 6's rounded edges design.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
I don't we'll see a mini redesign, there's not much to redesign anyways - other then to make it thinner which I half expect but I don't think that constitutes a redesign.

I agree, I don't think there is much more they can do other than hardware improvements inside of what they already have.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I agree, I don't think there is much more they can do other than hardware improvements inside of what they already have.

Well they could go edge to edge display with no bezel. I don't see anyone doing that yet. If Apple did that to the Mini it would even be smaller than 7.9".

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
Well they could go edge to edge display with no bezel. I don't see anyone doing that yet. If Apple did that to the Mini it would even be smaller than 7.9".

yeah, I guess than it would be much easier to hold in your hand/ put in your pocket/bag etc.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
The iPhone and iPad designs seem to feed off of each other. The only iPad updates right now that seem obvious would be more rounded edges and TouchID.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
There probably be no redesign.
Most of apples products have rounded edges....so if any product is getting a redesigned, it's the iPhone.

I'm sure we are getting slight improvements like a thinner and possibly lighter tablet with Touch ID. But I think that's it.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
I think the only 2 things that Apple could do with it would be to make it thinner and add Touch ID. Other than those 2 things I think it's fine now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.