Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nickwell24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Okay everybody, I've read through a few of the other workflows and I'm looking for a more specific answer than what I've found so far.

Currently here is my process:
Import into Lightroom 5
Make minor edits (white balance, shadows, and highlights)
Edit in Photoshop CS6 for more fine touchups (skin, eyes, etc)

My question is this - am I hindering myself with this process vs not using Bridge? I shoot entirely in RAW format and currently when transferring to photoshop from lightroom it takes the file as is (I.e. no photoshop raw plugin edits). Are there any benefits from using Bridge to handle my library then transfer to Photoshop to use the RAW plugin & minor edits vs making the edits in lightroom?

Appreciate input and viewpoints. Thanks in advance.

JPM

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
There is no need for Bridge if you are using Lightroom. Lightroom does everything that Bridge does, and more. Lightroom is specifically designed for cataloguing and management of digital photos (and now video with the later versions) where Bridge (IMO) is more of a media browser. Bridge's main benefit is when you are using the other parts of the Adobe suite, as it can work with files from Illustrator, InDesign, and so on which I don't think LR can.

The develop module in LR is identical to Camera RAW in Photoshop - it's the same engine underneath. If you "open as smart object in Photoshop" from Lightroom, and then edit the smart object in ACR, you will find all of your Lightroom adjustments present so you aren't gaining or losing anything there either.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Okay everybody, I've read through a few of the other workflows and I'm looking for a more specific answer than what I've found so far.

Currently here is my process:
Import into Lightroom 5
Make minor edits (white balance, shadows, and highlights)
Edit in Photoshop CS6 for more fine touchups (skin, eyes, etc)

My question is this - am I hindering myself with this process vs not using Bridge? I shoot entirely in RAW format and currently when transferring to photoshop from lightroom it takes the file as is (I.e. no photoshop raw plugin edits). Are there any benefits from using Bridge to handle my library then transfer to Photoshop to use the RAW plugin & minor edits vs making the edits in lightroom?

Appreciate input and viewpoints. Thanks in advance.

Sounds about right to me. After LR I might use one of my plug in's like Nik, OnOne or DXO. Do you use any of them?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta

Nickwell24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Thanks to everybody for the replies. I don't use any plugins yet as I'm still in school so money is a bit tight and between Camera glass and PS/LR i'm definitely not ready to drop another $100 on additional plugins, although they're on my "wish list".

Glad to see I'm doing things right though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.