Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Hello fellow MacHeads,

I got a new AMEX Blue Cash Card. They are offering $150 if I spent $1000 in my first month. I also get 6% cash back on groceries. I can buy a Macbook Pro Retina 13 inch for 1235 on Amazon right now. So I can get 6% off basically if I buy Amazon gift cards at smiths.

I also will be selling my retina 15 inch for at least 1300. Therefore I should be netting some cash as well.

Two Questions:

1. Is it worth saving 6% ($75) and forgoing the additional one year warranty from AMEX?

2. Will I miss the 15 inch, as in graphics card (I have a Mac Pro I use for intensive projects), screen size, and processor? How much of a difference is it from the 2012 to the 2014 model I might get?

Thank you. :apple::apple::apple:

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
if i'm not mistaken, you have three months to spend $1000 to get the $150 bonus, not one. also, does amazon charge tax where you are? if so, you might be able to find an out of state retailer to avoid paying tax which would offset the 6% cash back, you'd still earn 1% on the purchase, and you'd also enjoy the benefit of the added one year warranty (as well as 90 day purchase protection).

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
if i'm not mistaken, you have three months to spend $1000 to get the $150 bonus, not one. also, does amazon charge tax where you are? if so, you might be able to find an out of state retailer to avoid paying tax which would offset the 6% cash back, you'd still earn 1% on the purchase, and you'd also enjoy the benefit of the added one year warranty (as well as 90 day purchase protection).

No sales tax here, so I would be saving 7% if I didn't go through apple. I like the idea of an extra year of warranty. I have three months, which would be good to see if they will release a new MacBook air as well. Thanks!

thetechfixer

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2010
Canada
I would personally miss the 15" since it is technically faster with the quad core but if portability matters to you then the 13" will be fine, If you have a Mac Pro as a main computer than the 13" should be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.