Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cryptonit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2011
I have iPhone 4 with iOS 6. I don't want to go to iOS 7. I can't find Facebook app for iOS 6 in App Store. There is only version requiring iOS 7. So, no more Facebook for old iOS?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Settings.app / general / software update.

You can upgrade to 7 and fix all the wide open vulnerabilities of 6. AND get the Facebook app.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Settings.app / general / software update.

You can upgrade to 7 and fix all the wide open vulnerabilities of 6. AND get the Facebook app.

He said he didn't want iOS7.

You can't download the newest version from the app store, Im not sure if it works, but you can probably find an old version of the .ipa on the internet somewhere. Im not sure if they are linked to iCloud accounts for free apps, but I could send you mine. Im still on iOS6 on my iPhone 5

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

You can't download the newest version from the app store, Im not sure if it works, but you can probably find an old version of the .ipa on the internet somewhere. Im not sure if they are linked to iCloud accounts for free apps, but I could send you mine. Im still on iOS6 on my iPhone 5

Will never understand some people's masochistic desire to have their stuff hacked.

Different strokes *shrug*

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Facebook Mobile App ver 11.0 is the last ver that will work with iOS 6

The new update, ver 12.0 released on July 3 2014 is indeed iOS 7 only.

Facebook should be smart enough to allow the legacy download if they weren't so dumb and want to make more cash.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Im not sure if they are linked to iCloud accounts for free apps
All iOS apps are tied to the original purchaser, whether free or not.

----------

Facebook should be smart enough to allow the legacy download if they weren't so dumb and want to make more cash.

I'm sure Facebook isn't too terribly concerned about the small minority of iOS users who have devices compatible with 7 but won't upgrade.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I have iPhone 4 with iOS 6. I don't want to go to iOS 7. I can't find Facebook app for iOS 6 in App Store. There is only version requiring iOS 7. So, no more Facebook for old iOS?

Actually, you should still be able to download it from the App store. You will get a pop-up saying something about blah blah iOS7, but at the bottom they give you the option to download the compatible app. So when the pop-up comes up, click "download"

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
Still works on 6 for me.

How is anyone just now getting 6 and not already have facebook?

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1

If you have downloaded it in the past, just try redownloading and it will ask if you want the compatible version. If you haven't downloaded it before, download it with your Apple ID onto a Mac or Windows PC through iTunes then redownload it to the phone from the App Store. Should ask you if you want a compatible version.

teyteybuchiii

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2014

i can't dwnload facebook from the app store :( im still on ios6

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
All iOS apps are tied to the original purchaser, whether free or not.

----------

I'm sure Facebook isn't too terribly concerned about the small minority of iOS users who have devices compatible with 7 but won't upgrade.

Please do some research before posting stuff like this. Actually apps use a filesystem called .IPA and they can be used by anyone, its just piracy to download payed ones.

----------

Will never understand some people's masochistic desire to have their stuff hacked.

Different strokes *shrug*
The probability of that happinhing is so slim that its not really an issue... Like seriously, unless you are on public wifi constantly, or dont use any password protection, theres no point in updating...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Please do some research before posting stuff like this. Actually apps use a filesystem called .IPA and they can be used by anyone, its just piracy to download payed ones.

----------

The probability of that happinhing is so slim that its not really an issue... Like seriously, unless you are on public wifi constantly, or dont use any password protection, theres no point in updating...
No point of updating until you get bit by one of those pesky issues. Sure many won't, but try telling that to someone who will.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

What I wrote is correct. Apps are connected to the Apple ID which originally "purchased" them. There's no way to remove the original purchaser from the app bundle and have it keep working, so if someone uses an app from someone else's Apple ID, that new user will always be prompted for the original user's Apple ID credentials if the new user tries to update it.
Apps don't use filesystems. If you're going to be pedantic, get your own facts correct. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_system

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
What I wrote is correct. Apps are connected to the Apple ID which originally "purchased" them. There's no way to remove the original purchaser from the app bundle and have it keep working, so if someone uses an app from someone else's Apple ID, that new user will always be prompted for the original user's Apple ID credentials if the new user tries to update it.
Apps don't use filesystems. If you're going to be pedantic, get your own facts correct. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_system

Actually no. They use the apple id to update, but never to install. You can use ifunbox to i stall an ipa and it will work fine. Especially if its free. I have done this several times with my friends and i trading ipas....

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Actually no. They use the apple id to update, but never to install. You can use ifunbox to i stall an ipa and it will work fine. Especially if its free. I have done this several times with my friends and i trading ipas....

I didn't mention installing.

digidude512

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2014
Tested Install

This Method Doesn't Need iFunbox or Jailbreak.

Go to Settings and open the Facebook Preference, Hit Install it'll ask for your iTunes Password hit Download when it asks you to Install an older version and then it will install with no issues.

Just tested this 20 minutes ago on my iPod Touch 4 running iOS 6.1.6, Hope this helps anyone who needs it.

jhay0712

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2014
facebook for ios 6

how about my ipod touch 4th gen? my ios is already 6.1.6 how can i recover the older version of facebook app?

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
To download an older version of an app from the app store to any idevice, download that app using itunes on your computer or Mac and than download it again on your idevice but this time it will ask if you want to download the latest available version of that app.

MagicHAM

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
Download it from the app store on your device that runs iOS6 and the app store will ask you if you would like to download the older version that currently runs on iOS6. That's it you have Facebook. :)

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I've tried the options here but it always tells me I need iOS7.

This is for a iPhone 3Gs I just gave to my mum, she doesn't need a new iPhone but wants FaceBook but I have heard iOS7 doesn't work well on the 3Gs?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've tried the options here but it always tells me I need iOS7.

This is for a iPhone 3Gs I just gave to my mum, she doesn't need a new iPhone but wants FaceBook but I have heard iOS7 doesn't work well on the 3Gs?
iOS 7 can't be installed on the 3GS.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
iOS 7 can't be installed on the 3GS.

Well that answers that... but good news everybody one of the tricks did finally work.

I had to log into Apples App Store with my account on the 3Gs, and it worked. When I tap to download the FaceBook app it tells me I don't have iOS7 but it can DL the last compatible version for iOS6.

Now why can't this just be the default, regardless if you'd downloaded it before?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.