Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdphifer

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2014
iPhone and iPad?

Does this work with an iPhone as the 'server' and an iPad (or other iDevice) as a client?

CLJ

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
Los Angeles
help. still working?
app crashes after launch.

same here. used it fine a few years back. just bought it and tried it again (mavericks 10.9.5) and after I launch the app and enter adhoc name, click "ok" or "exit" it crashes.

hello,

I've been paying for & using the tether.com service since around the beginning of 2012 wonderfully.

I don't know what this "iTether" app is that's been mentioned. I just have the Tether Mac app & sign in to the website on my iphone safari.

my ios upgrade to version 7 went fine & I was still able to tether.

but when I upgraded my Mac to the latest OS 10.9 (mavericks), the Tether app on it stopped working.

i've deleted the prefs & application support folder in the library, but still no-go. I've also deleted the app & downloaded the latest version with same results.

when i launch it, it asks the usual - go or exit with the ad hoc name & password; but no matter what i click, after that the program crashes/quits -AND- leaves my system wifi settings all wonky forcing me to reset them.

I've emailed support (because nothing on their site is current) & got a small response that they are aware of the problem & working on it. but no ETA on an update.

so my question is...
HOW do you have yours working under mavericks????? tips/tricks please!!!

additionally, if anybody knows of any alternatives besides paying the carrier, or jail breaking, ease pipe up.

thx!
peace.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
If anyone was curious, the short-lived iTether app no longer works. Presumably the web-based Tether is gone as well.

The company that was Tether is gone. The domain points to a completely different company now, that has nothing at all to do with tethering a mobile phone to a computer. (It appears to be an ad agency.)

Since the web-based rather obviously required their website to function, and sadly so did the iTether app (for no good reason - it just connected to verify you had a valid license. Which was odd, since purchasing the iOS app was a "permanent license!") So this app will no longer work.

Edit: Aha, on an Internet Archive copy of their web page, it looks like service ended in July of last year.

http://web.archive.org/web/20160516140201/http://tether.com/

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.