Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
I own these Apple ear phones:

th

The original ones. Lasted me from 2003 (or so) all the way to 2014 when a few weeks ago one of the ear pod parts just fell apart. I only used them when I went out. At home I have some open cans I like a lot. But I don't take those out.

My question is are the new Apple ear phones any good? Are better than the old ones I have but are broken now?

MD827

$40 from the Apple store online for me.

I am looking for this style (shown above) of headphone as I don't really like the ones that go right into the inside of your ear as shown below here:

ME186

Or should I get look into a different brand for roughly the same price. I'm just after something relatively cheap (around the $50 mark) that fit nicely into the ear (as I showed above in the 2nd "middle" set of headphones) to take with me when I go out places for use with my iPad.

What do you all think?

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
I have both the Apple balanced armature in-ears and the earpods and they're much better than your old ones, don't worry about that. Just make sure that you buy from a reputable source as fakes of both are sold everywhere on the internet and you can't tell the difference by just looking at them, even in person.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
I have both the Apple balanced armature in-ears and the earpods and they're much better than your old ones, don't worry about that. Just make sure that you buy from a reputable source as fakes of both are sold everywhere on the internet and you can't tell the difference by just looking at them, even in person.

Thanks for the advice. I plan to buy them direct from Apple. Either in store (Brisbane Apple store, not a reseller) or online. I was thinking about buying elsewhere but as you said the fakes make it hard to tell if you're getting the genuine product or not.

I was worried if the newer earphones from Apple were any better in sound quality then the old ones. I don't know anyone who has used the old and new ones to compare, and the people I asked (at Apple resellers) could only tell me they are good but how good, they could not answer. But you answered that, so thanks.

If I remember correctly they are $50 in store and $40 on the Apple store, so I think buying them online is the way to go. I could look into (and advice for) another brand that does the job, but I'm not too worried about hunting for ages for perfection, as I know I won't get that, at this price point. I did that for my at home headphones.

So I'll see when I can afford to order the Apple ones and thanks.
If anyone else knows a different brand or has more advice feel free to chime in. I won't be buying them today but soonish I will.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thanks for the advice. I plan to buy them direct from Apple. Either in store (Brisbane Apple store, not a reseller) or online. I was thinking about buying elsewhere but as you said the fakes make it hard to tell if you're getting the genuine product or not.

I was worried if the newer earphones from Apple were any better in sound quality then the old ones. I don't know anyone who has used the old and new ones to compare, and the people I asked (at Apple resellers) could only tell me they are good but how good, they could not answer. But you answered that, so thanks.

If I remember correctly they are $50 in store and $40 on the Apple store, so I think buying them online is the way to go. I could look into (and advice for) another brand that does the job, but I'm not too worried about hunting for ages for perfection, as I know I won't get that, at this price point. I did that for my at home headphones.

So I'll see when I can afford to order the Apple ones and thanks.
If anyone else knows a different brand or has more advice feel free to chime in. I won't be buying them today but soonish I will.

I must say that I am impressed with the EarPods. They came with my iPhone and do their job extremely well. They are also very comfortable compared to the older style and in my opinion, well worth the money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.