Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I'm trying to transition some of my "real work" over to PPC systems. In particular, I'm likely going to set up either an MDD or a G5 as my desktop computer.

My software demands aren't that stringent, but one necessity for me is that I have a working copy of Endnote. My university has campus-wide license for Endnote, but only for the latest version(X7) which requires Snow Leopard or later.

Is anyone else on here an Endnote user, and if so what is your experience with PowerPC versions of this software? It looks like I'm going to need to track down X2(I think).

And, since I have a lot of work already in X7, does anyone know how X2 does with importing libraries from newer versions?

Finally, how well do the older versions handle interfacing with Office 2004 and 2008? If the versions I can use won't "talk" to those versions of office correctly, there's no real point in even pursuing this.

The professor across the hall from me has promised me her B&W G3, and I'm hopeful there's going to be an older, useable copy of Endnote on it.

I appreciate any input. I realize that I'm asking about a somewhat specialized piece of software, but am hopeful that someone else on here has used it.

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
Endnote is a nightmare. Trust me, I tried to make it work for years. I started my PhD using Endnote X, and moved through X2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 until I finally gave up and switched to Papers. While recent versions of Endnote were better, as you go to older versions the nightmare only gets worse. X and X2 are essentially unusable. I'm talking constant crashes, bizarre behavior, losing papers, inability to do search-match, problems with export/import, random library corruption, etc. Seriously, do not go down this road. Unfortunately for you, modern and usable alternatives like Mendelay and Papers require intel machines, so you my be stuck with endnote if you insist on PPC. AFAIK the only working reference manager for PPC is BibTeX, and that's only useful if you're using LaTeX to typeset your papers anyway - word integration is nonexistant.

I've been down this road, and this is one of the issues that forced me to finally upgrade from my trusty MDD G4 to a MP. Do yourself a favor and stay as far away from endnote as possible.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Thanks for the "slap back to reality."

I'm somewhat stuck with Endnote, as it's the standard in my department and it's what's my advisor expects for publications. I've been using it for 4 years now, and am deep enough into my PhD that switching would involve a lot of work and time that I don't have(especially since the majority of the references that are going to end up in my dissertation are already in Endnote).

Looks like I'll just keep using X7(which has its issues, but is certainly useable) on my MBP and forget using PPCs for anything where I need Endnote.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky

Thanks for the link. I downloaded X2. Unfortunately, I don't have the product key. As I mentioned, my university has a site license for the software, and when I download it through their system "it just works" without having to enter a product key.

Perhaps if I take a PPC system with an inventory tag over to the IT folks(something which I should be able to do), they would put the product key in for an older version for me. That was my experience at least with trying to get Office 2008-they could do it, but wouldn't touch it without an inventory tag. Fortunately, I think that the B&W I should be getting this week will run Endnote X2 and should also be tagged.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My understanding (based on looking for this stuff last night) is that X3 will run on Tiger, which of course will run on a G3.

X5 is the last to run on Leopard.

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
Sorry, I hope I didn't scare you too much. I just had a bad experience, so I hope yours proves better. Sounds like you don't have much of a choice in using Endnote anyway, so I hope going back to the PPC version works out for you!

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Just to update(since this thread is one of the first google search results for "endnote powerpc")-I downloaded several versions off the Thompson-Reuters site and ran them in "trial" mode just to test compatibility(since documentation is somewhat sparse).

After doing this, I can confirm that X5 is Intel only even though it will run on 10.5.

X3 requires a G4(or G5) processor 450mhz or faster and 10.4 or later.

X4 will also run on a G4 or G5, but requires 10.5. The documentation does not explicitly mention Intel compatibilty, but considering that 10.6 is listed as a supported OS, I can only assume that it will run on any Intel Mac.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.