Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benjobe2513

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
Humboldt County, California
Just to update: after my disappointment with the Dell UP3214Q (detailed above) I ordered an ASUS PQ321Q and I'm happy to say that I've been able to enable MST to get UHD @ 60Hz using the Radeon R9 280X in my 2010 Mac Pro OSX 10.9.4. This is something that I wasn't able to do with the Dell.

However, I'm experiencing a strange phenomenon with the MST. I cannot get an application to go full screen. For example, I cannot get QuickTime Player to go full screen on the ASUS. Instead the application only fills one of the virtual monitors (MST is two 1920x2160 virtual monitors stitched together within the physical monitor's actual 3840x2160 screen). I don't know if this is a common limitation or just a fluke with my system.

Does anyone else experience this phenomenon?

sirneb

macrumors member
May 9, 2014
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you got an A01 rev. Hopefully it's bug free.

How would you describe the matt finish on it. I've had Dell displays before where the matt finish is almost like someone stretched a pantyhose across the screen (it's obvious and almost makes the pixels sparkle)... what's it like on this beast?

And please report back in a few days if anything changes.

Not sure how to describe the matte, it's definitely not glossy which is my preference. I don't think this has the "pantyhose" matte you described.

I got to use it a lot this weekend, basically did some developing marathon. I decided to go with 2560x1440 scaling on it, basically it looks like cinematic display retina. I'm quite content with it, it honestly makes my LG looks ugly. I guess it's similar to using a non retina jumping to a retina.

Anyways, those are good news. The really bad news is that I had one occurrence of the wakeup and half screen bug. I had to wait like 10 seconds and restart the monitor. The fix was easy enough, though it's ridiculous. Over the course of less than a week, I probably had to wake up my monitor over 30 times and it only happened once.

Frankly, I probably won't ever touch Dell ever again. I am quite content with the quality of the monitor but having the off chance of dealing with these issues is a huge turn off. Just because of that and the crappy Dell support, I wouldn't recommend this monitor or actually, any Dell products.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Not sure how to describe the matte, it's definitely not glossy which is my preference. I don't think this has the "pantyhose" matte you described.

I got to use it a lot this weekend, basically did some developing marathon. I decided to go with 2560x1440 scaling on it, basically it looks like cinematic display retina. I'm quite content with it, it honestly makes my LG looks ugly. I guess it's similar to using a non retina jumping to a retina.

Anyways, those are good news. The really bad news is that I had one occurrence of the wakeup and half screen bug. I had to wait like 10 seconds and restart the monitor. The fix was easy enough, though it's ridiculous. Over the course of less than a week, I probably had to wake up my monitor over 30 times and it only happened once.

Frankly, I probably won't ever touch Dell ever again. I am quite content with the quality of the monitor but having the off chance of dealing with these issues is a huge turn off. Just because of that and the crappy Dell support, I wouldn't recommend this monitor or actually, any Dell products.

Thanks for the follow-up. I'll be avoiding them too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.