Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lolly.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
Hi all. I can't decide whether this should go in iPad or iPhone (one is an iPad app, one an iPhone).

I understand Windows computers, but have no idea about Apple products. I'm still back at the "What?! No antivirus?!" stage. So this is a bit of a noob question, but I can't seem to find anything on it.

Really, I assume it's secure etc to use Paypal (iPhone) and Ebay (iPad), but I suppose I need reassurance.

I explain my hesitance with the fact that my (Windows) laptop got a virus the other day (I believe from an ad on an unknown website) so I'm a little extra cautious lately - despite numerous virus scans and the IT boys checking my computer, I'm not 100% convinced the virus has gone cos it's a bit slow.

Main question :D
Is using Ebay and Paypal (iPhone version?) just as safe as on a computer? Are there any such thing as keyloggers etc on iPads? Is it safe to use on public wifi or not recommended?

Googling any combination of 'security Paypal app ipad' doesn't give me much to work with. Again, I can't imagine that people would be using something that isn't secure (or that Paypal would release anything that isn't), but wondering what steps I should take to make it safest?

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I paid my due with PayPal on my iPhone no problem here first time. I leave no cash in my PayPal account anyway.
If there is security breach PayPal should notify them.
eBay uses PayPal app to make transaction..

lolly.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
I should maybe also mention that my iPad isn't jailbroken. Not sure if that has any bearing on 'keeping it safe'?

Apple Power

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2014
Redwood City
isn't iPhone and computer the same thing so both would have the same safety or security?
Now I'm nervous as I've just recently started using my iPhone for PayPal with their app.
Grrrrrr......
Bob

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Hi all. I can't decide whether this should go in iPad or iPhone (one is an iPad app, one an iPhone).

I understand Windows computers, but have no idea about Apple products. I'm still back at the "What?! No antivirus?!" stage. So this is a bit of a noob question, but I can't seem to find anything on it.

Really, I assume it's secure etc to use Paypal (iPhone) and Ebay (iPad), but I suppose I need reassurance.

I explain my hesitance with the fact that my (Windows) laptop got a virus the other day (I believe from an ad on an unknown website) so I'm a little extra cautious lately - despite numerous virus scans and the IT boys checking my computer, I'm not 100% convinced the virus has gone cos it's a bit slow.

Main question :D
Is using Ebay and Paypal (iPhone version?) just as safe as on a computer? Are there any such thing as keyloggers etc on iPads? Is it safe to use on public wifi or not recommended?

Googling any combination of 'security Paypal app ipad' doesn't give me much to work with. Again, I can't imagine that people would be using something that isn't secure (or that Paypal would release anything that isn't), but wondering what steps I should take to make it safest?

IMO get a decent password manager (1Password for iOS) and use 16 digit passwords. Otherwise just do the right thing on logins etc (i.e. don't connect to anything that you didn't originate yourself - esp email links).

Ebay seems to have cycles of phishing attacks (just ignore them) but in 15 years I've never had a security problem with either site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.