Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:45 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Awarded Creative Arts Emmy for 'Misunderstood' Holiday Commercial

The Television Academy this weekend announced the winners for the 2014 Creative Arts Emmy Awards, recognizing the technical side of television in honoring the outstanding "behind-the-scenes crafts essential to television production." Apple was among the winners announced during a ceremony held Saturday night in Los Angeles.

Apple, along with Park Pictures production company and TBWA\Media Arts Lab ad agency, was awarded an Outstanding Commercial Emmy for its holiday "Misunderstood" advertisement. In the commercial, a family participates in a traditional Christmas celebration while a younger member records all of the activities on his iPhone. Chided for being on the sidelines, the misunderstood teen delights his family at the end of the commercial with a heart-warming montage of the holiday celebration streamed via AirPlay to the living room television.

The award was shared with Apple's longtime ad agency, TBWA\Media Arts Lab, which allegedly now has a rocky relationship with the Cupertino company. Emails from Apple's head of marketing Phil Schiller hint at discord between the ad agency and Apple's executives following a scathing criticism from The Wall Street Journal. A more recent rumor suggests Apple is ready to sever its ties to TBWA/Media Arts Lab, with Beats co-founder Jimmy Iovine stepping in to help spearhead the company's future marketing campaigns.

Article Link: Apple Awarded Creative Arts Emmy for 'Misunderstood' Holiday Commercial
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:47 AM   #2
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

That was a good one actually... I'd like to see more commercials like the Mac vs PC series though heh heh x)
Z400Racer37 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:49 AM   #3
roadbloc
macrumors 604

An advert has been awarded an Emmy? -_-
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:52 AM   #4
afawcett
macrumors member

It's a cool concept, but this has been done before in TV show Community making it feel a lot less creative.
afawcett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:53 AM   #5
Milese3
macrumors regular

Wow, I sort of overlooked that advert before. But now I look at it, it's very touching. Congratulations, Apple.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:54 AM   #6
ProVideo
macrumors 6502

Meh. Too Hallmarky and predictable IMO. Award judges eat that crap up for the most part though.
ProVideo is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:57 AM   #7
appleii.c
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
An advert has been awarded an Emmy? -_-
Yes, they've been doing it for years, since at least the late 90's. Apple isn't the first.
appleii.c is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:00 PM   #8
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by afawcett View Post
It's a cool concept, but this has been done before in TV show Community making it feel a lot less creative.
It was? When?
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:13 PM   #9
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
It was? When?
In Introduction to Film, Abed sets out to create a movie, and throughout the process, he alienates everybody to the point of yelling and telling him he's weird. Then when he shows the film, it turns out he was using everybody's confusion and bewilderment at him to convey his childhood experience.

I think it's a bit of a stretch connecting the ad to this video, but they both feature somebody who seems socially disconnected acknowledging their disconnect with a sentimental film.

Last edited by AngerDanger; Aug 19, 2014 at 06:28 PM. Reason: typo
AngerDanger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:36 PM   #10
Meandmunch
macrumors 6502

It's a rock solid ad because it both connects emotional with the audience and subtle demonstrates an array of iPhone capabilities.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:38 PM   #11
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Apple is ready to sever its ties to TBWA/Media Arts Lab, with Beats co-founder Jimmy Iovine stepping in to help spearhead the company's future marketing campaigns.
Having Beats incharge of anything seems like a massive mistake to me. I guess so long as Beats has nothing to do with Apple's computers or iOS devices, or any softwares besides the music related ones, I'm okay, though. Apple doesn't really need me to like their ads, since I'll buy their products anyways (so long as they remain the best).

Last edited by ArtOfWarfare; Aug 18, 2014 at 04:31 PM.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 01:06 PM   #12
PocketSand11
macrumors 6502a

It would have been good if it weren't for all the crying people at the end.
Fun fact: iPhone 5 aspect ratio = 640/1136 ≈ .5634. 9/16 = .5625. 639/1136 = .5625. Its screen is exactly one pixel too wide to be 9:16.
PocketSand11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 01:12 PM   #13
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Wow, never saw that before, just watched it and got tears in my eyes. Love family moments like these. Life is very precious!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 01:13 PM   #14
GeneralChang
macrumors 6502

Didn't know they were giving out Emmy's to ads now. Kinda unfortunate, that. But still, good ad. Probably deserved it.
GeneralChang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 01:15 PM   #15
Brandon263
macrumors 6502

That commercial was really smart. Classy and understated.

It's a shame Samsung hasn't been nominated for its bash-iPhone-users ads
Brandon263 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 01:18 PM   #16
psac
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandmunch View Post
It's a rock solid ad because it both connects emotional with the audience and subtle demonstrates an array of iPhone capabilities.
Spot on. The best ads make a connection AND highlight the product. This does both in an amazing way. Loved it when it was on air.
psac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 02:13 PM   #17
Reason077
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandmunch View Post
Technically, it's a good Ad. But it's sappy and emotive.

A big hit with Grandmas, no doubt, but it's not the sort of thing that makes Apple look cool or resonate with youth.

The more recent "stickers" ad was much better, in my opinion.
Reason077 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 02:37 PM   #18
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerDanger View Post
I think it's a bit of a stretch connecting the ad to this video
Big time. The whole point of the Apple ad is that nobody realizes he has been filming and editing the whole time, they assume he's texting or playing games. The thing on community is nothing like that.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 02:41 PM   #19
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Having Beats incharge of anything seems like a massive mistake to me. I guess so long as Beats has nothing to do with Apple's computers or iOS devices, or any softwares besides the music related ones, I'm okay, though. Apple doesn't really need me to like their ads, since I'll buy their products anyways (so long as they remain the best).
Well, I guess if you're going to miss the point of the article then this is the best way to do it. This ad came before the Beats deal; it is unclear if you knew that.

As for the ad, it is probably the first Apple ad in a long time that I actually cared to pay attention to. It was "hallmarky" as someone mentioned, but it was done well...even better than when it was done on Community.
GoCubsGo is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 02:58 PM   #20
mr.steevo
macrumors 6502a

Yay, Edmonton!
mr.steevo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:32 PM   #21
Meandmunch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
Technically, it's a good Ad. But it's sappy and emotive.

A big hit with Grandmas, no doubt, but it's not the sort of thing that makes Apple look cool or resonate with youth.

The more recent "stickers" ad was much better, in my opinion.
It was Christmas bro, name a sappier time of the year. Stickers was indeed a great ad!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:46 PM   #22
warriorz
macrumors regular

The tears were a bit much.
warriorz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 04:24 PM   #23
notrack
macrumors 6502

I find this one of their best ones. I still remember when I saw it the first time and really liked it.
notrack is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 04:31 PM   #24
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
Well, I guess if you're going to miss the point of the article then this is the best way to do it. This ad came before the Beats deal; it is unclear if you knew that.
I am aware of the fact that this ad is unrelated to Beats and predates Apple's ownership of them.

But my comment was regarding the final sentence of the article:

Quote:
Apple is ready to sever its ties to TBWA/Media Arts Lab, with Beats co-founder Jimmy Iovine stepping in to help spearhead the company's future marketing campaigns.
Sorry for not being clear in my post by not starting it off with that quote. I have edited that post to make it clearer what I was talking about, that I was talking about the tail end of the article rather than the meat of it.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 04:37 PM   #25
ziggie216
macrumors 6502

Very touching and didnt expect that ending (never seen it before).

btw can you really do all that editing with iMovie on your iPhone?
ziggie216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion