Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rl23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2014
Hi everyone,
I recently noticed what seems to be a small air bubble on my MBA (early 2014), it is not able to seen when the laptop is in use, but it is really an annoyance for me considering I received the laptop as a gift in late June. Tomorrow, I am going to purchase a screen cleaning kit from the apple store to see if that makes a difference.

I was wondering if anyone else experienced something like this and was able to fix it on his or her own, and what my options would be.

Last edited:

Rl23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2014
Take it to an Apple store.

The Apple Store near me isn't in the best area, and it would be a bigger issue if it were to be stolen. I would rather take care of the issue without bringing it there. I'm more curious to see if something like this happened to someone else, and what they did to remedy it. Thanks for your insight though :)

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
The Apple Store near me isn't in the best area, and it would be a bigger issue if it were to be stolen. I would rather take care of the issue without bringing it there. I'm more curious to see if something like this happened to someone else, and what they did to remedy it. Thanks for your insight though :)

Where the heck do you live where you're fearful of taking your MBA to the Apple store and getting robbed?

I'm sure you'll be fine.

Rl23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2014
Where the heck do you live where you're fearful of taking your MBA to the Apple store and getting robbed?

I'm sure you'll be fine.

Electronics often get stolen, plus the store is pretty far away from me, its not life or death to bring it in, its not a huge deal, so I'd rather not bring it in. To reiterate I'm looking to see if anyone has worked one out themselves. I get I can bring it to the Apple Store and I do thank you guys for your input.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Electronics often get stolen, plus the store is pretty far away from me, its not life or death to bring it in, its not a huge deal, so I'd rather not bring it in. To reiterate I'm looking to see if anyone has worked one out themselves. I get I can bring it to the Apple Store and I do thank you guys for your input.

Well if it gets stolen from the store itself...they'll have to replace :)

Either way, I'm not sure if you can get the bubble out yourself, but even if you COULD I think they should look at it. Something obviously didn't go right in manufacturing with that display. Might suffer some other defects down the road.

Rl23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2014
Well if it gets stolen from the store itself...they'll have to replace :)

Either way, I'm not sure if you can get the bubble out yourself, but even if you COULD I think they should look at it. Something obviously didn't go right in manufacturing with that display. Might suffer some other defects down the road.

Haha very true. It's just very strange because when I first got the macbook it did not have the air bubble, but I just noticed it today. It isn't noticeable while using the computer unlike another case I had seen online. I talked to the apple store near me about my options and a replacement is doable, but my problem is that I also have the drops, spills, etc coverage for the computer with Amazon (the macbook was bought off of amazon), so I'm not entirely sure if it will void out that insurance, which would kind of suck and force me to buy another set of insurance for the replacement computer. It may sound silly to you but its just a lot of money to spend considering that this computer should have come perfect with no defects for the amount that it costs (and I would love to get the new iPhone that has yet to be announced :eek:), and the fact that I'm more of an average joe Apple consumer so I'm a bit less willing to shell out all of this money.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1

I have never heard of Apple putting a store in a bad area. If you don't mind me asking, which Apple Store is it?

No matter what, if the machine is stolen from the store (which is very unlikely considering they always have customer's machine on tight lock down), Apple has to replace it because it was stolen while in their possession.

I'd just take it to Apple because it sounds like what they will have to do is replace the clamshell (display assembly) which isn't cheap so I would get it done soon before the warranty expires. You have a year from the DOP unless someone bought AppleCare for you. You can check your warranty status by entering your serial number here.

Rl23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2014
I have never heard of Apple putting a store in a bad area. If you don't mind me asking, which Apple Store is it?

No matter what, if the machine is stolen from the store (which is very unlikely considering they always have customer's machine on tight lock down), Apple has to replace it because it was stolen while in their possession.

I'd just take it to Apple because it sounds like what they will have to do is replace the clamshell (display assembly) which isn't cheap so I would get it done soon before the warranty expires. You have a year from the DOP unless someone bought AppleCare for you. You can check your warranty status by entering your serial number here.

I mean en route to the store. Its in a mall not in a great area. As I said before I do have ten months left on the warranty so i probably will at some point. Thanks for your help

----------

If a mod could please close this thread that would be great.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Apple performing a repair (as the manufacturer) should not ever void additional warranty coverage. I doubt that would be the case at all. Just take a look at the terms of the warranty agreement if you're unsure.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Go get a handgun and then go to the Apple Store if you're worried about theft. Remember shoot first, questions second, and be sure to shoot to kill. Dead people can't speak.

abta1

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
Paris, France
I mean en route to the store. Its in a mall not in a great area. As I said before I do have ten months left on the warranty so i probably will at some point. Thanks for your help

----------

If a mod could please close this thread that would be great.

Do you intend to be carrying the laptop under your arm or something? Put it in a nondescript bag and no one will be any the wiser.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
What is happening in your city when you are scared to take an item back to the maker for repair. I don't think even Detroit is that bad.

Glad I have the ability to carry legally concealed but would never even consider carrying in a situation like this. In my town you drive up to the local Apple and walk in. My worst fear at this point is the shoulder to shoulder crowds of a Apple people with some Geeks mixed in, hoping no one yells FIRE!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.