Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Lol talk about a maintenance nightmare..

Lease, or sell while under warranty. Easy enough. People say the same thing about BMW, and we had 3, and never paid a dime out of our pockets for any service, including scheduled maintenance like oil changes.

Side note: this thread makes me want to start a more general “car talk” thread - we’ve had a few slight off topic chats in here that were really fun.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Lease, or sell while under warranty. Easy enough. People say the same thing about BMW, and we had 3, and never paid a dime out of our pockets for any service, including scheduled maintenance like oil changes.

Side note: this thread makes me want to start a more general “car talk” thread - we’ve had a few slight off topic chats in here that were really fun.

I'm a big BMW enthusiast. The main forum I visit is m3forum.net. I've owned 3 M3's, Z3, Z4, 328i and currently have a 650i in the stable. So I'm not just another average joe spewing something I know nothing about!:D Range Rovers are a huge money pit. But since you're ownership will only occur during the warranty period, it's all good!

I'm down for a 'Car Talk' thread!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'm a big BMW enthusiast. The main forum I visit is m3forum.net. I've owned 3 M3's, Z3, Z4, 328i and currently have a 650i in the stable. So I'm not just another average joe spewing something I know nothing about!:D Range Rovers are a huge money pit. But since you're ownership will only occur during the warranty period, it's all good!

I'm down for a 'Car Talk' thread!

Cool, and I didn’t mean to imply that at all, just that those pricey to maintain cars can be cost mitigated if you only own under warranty (we leased, so even the recurring costs outside of tires was covered).

Yeah, I dig on BMWs too. The wife had a Z3, followed by a 330Ci cab and then we had a 4.4i X5. I do a bit of performance driving (HPDE) and A/X, so I’ve been around a ton of them at the track too. recently, I seriously considered an M3 Cab, or possibly a Z4 35i (or 35is) - love BMW’s inline 6s, especially the turbo variants :D

Seems like a car talk would be fun, could load it up with pics, talk about classic, up coming models, tuning, driving, showing, care topics, etc.

:cool:

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Cool, and I didn’t mean to imply that at all, just that those pricey to maintain cars can be cost mitigated if you only own under warranty (we leased, so even the recurring costs outside of tires was covered).

Yeah, I dig on BMWs too. The wife had a Z3, followed by a 330Ci cab and then we had a 4.4i X5. I do a bit of performance driving (HPDE) and A/X, so I’ve been around a ton of them at the track too. recently, I seriously considered an M3 Cab, or possibly a Z4 35i (or 35is) - love BMW’s inline 6s, especially the turbo variants :D

Seems like a car talk would be fun, could load it up with pics, talk about classic, up coming models, tuning, driving, showing, care topics, etc.

I'm down! How would we go about setting up a new section?

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

I would assume all these things are fair game on this board. There is a "picture of your car" thread in photos. I think we would need quite a bit of activity to get our own section, though.

Edit: However if you were to combine it with "What are you reading", "What are you listening to", and "What's on TV", you could create a section called "Art, Cutlure, and Hobbies" section.

TomHardyy

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2014
I have been using my current car that is toyota xli for last 3 years with 20,000 miles and i am quite satisfied with the performance of this car though i also had few other cars but i believe the current is satisfied me most

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Wife's car (I drive about 40% of the time honestly)

2014 Subaru Forester
Satisfaction: 8/10 - It's a Subaru. They're good, solid cars, but at the same time it doesn't feel premium. Not that I expect that from a Subaru.

Reliability: new - So far, so good.
nj51.jpg

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
Current car: 2014 Mustang convertible
Satisfaction: 10/10
Reliability: 9/10 (had an issue with the top when I bought it, but the dealer took care of things)

I absolutely adore this car. I bought it used with my 2010 Mustang coupe as a trade-in, and the engine on this one is like night and day.

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    654.4 KB · Views: 60

Love

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2007
Just southeast of Northwestshire
I drive a 2008 Honda Fit DX.

Reliability - 10/10. The car has failed to start once, and it was -36˚C - the battery went flat. 160,000km on the odometer and still going strong. There are a couple niggly bits - the car hangs very low to the ground and the materials making up the bumper and front structure aren't great, so it's really easy to mess up the front end should you accidentally go over the end of a parking stall, etc. Otherwise, a fantastically reliable car.

Satisfaction - it's been the formative car for two young men, my brother and I, and it's handled us beautifully. It's a bit gutless, but very peppy around the city. Gets to use the special small-car parking spots in the city parkades, so it's extra cheap to park. Maintenance is cheap as anything, and I'm fairly sure the thing will go forever.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Traded in my 2007 Civic (as posted earlier) for a 2013 Civic EX-L Navi Coupe with 23,000KMs. Haven't driven it yet but am looking forward to it. Would assume same reliability similar as previous Honda.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I drive a 2008 Honda Fit DX.

Reliability - 10/10. The car has failed to start once, and it was -36˚C - the battery went flat. 160,000km on the odometer and still going strong. There are a couple niggly bits - the car hangs very low to the ground and the materials making up the bumper and front structure aren't great, so it's really easy to mess up the front end should you accidentally go over the end of a parking stall, etc. Otherwise, a fantastically reliable car.

Satisfaction - it's been the formative car for two young men, my brother and I, and it's handled us beautifully. It's a bit gutless, but very peppy around the city. Gets to use the special small-car parking spots in the city parkades, so it's extra cheap to park. Maintenance is cheap as anything, and I'm fairly sure the thing will go forever.

The real question is what are you doing out when it's -36 degrees?! :eek:

Traded in my 2007 Civic (as posted earlier) for a 2013 Civic EX-L Navi Coupe with 23,000KMs. Haven't driven it yet but am looking forward to it. Would assume same reliability similar as previous Honda.

I have no proof to back this up and just stating what I've heard from others, but Honda's quality isn't what it used to be and they're just coasting on their reputation lately. I hope your car is reliable.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I have no proof to back this up and just stating what I've heard from others, but Honda's quality isn't what it used to be and they're just coasting on their reputation lately. I hope your car is reliable.

Honda/Acura are still quite reliable. It's not difficult to understand why. Most of them operate on a longstanding set of engines and drivetrains.

The issue for both manufacturers in terms of "not being what they used to be" is they are no longer manufacturing exciting automobiles like the S2K, TL Type S, and the NSX were.

Most metrics still indicate the big H makes some reliable machines.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Honda/Acura are still quite reliable. It's not difficult to understand why. Most of them operate on a longstanding set of engines and drivetrains.

This. The K engine has been shipping since 2002. Its solid. And used everywhere.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

The issue for both manufacturers in terms of "not being what they used to be" is they are no longer manufacturing exciting automobiles like the S2K, TL Type S, and the NSX were.

Most metrics still indicate the big H makes some reliable machines.
They're reliable, but I guess if you're selling the same damn K and J series engines with barely any updates for over a decade, they better be bulletproof at this point.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
Is that a 2015 Cayenne Diesel? Please tell me more about it how you like it!

Yeah, it's a 2015 fairly well specced. MSRP was $99k after I added all the options (it's easy for things to get out of hand with the check boxes when configuring a Porsche). It's my first diesel vehicle and I'm really happy with it. The Macan is a much better drive though, especially since it's got PDK and not the old slushy tiptronic like the Cayenne does. If you don't need to tow and would be comfortable in the smaller space of the Macan I'd really encourage you to consider it instead. The Macan is light years beyond the current Cayenne platform when it comes to performance and driving dynamics. I expect the next generation Cayenne will close the gap somewhat, but still probably won't have PDK even then.

The Cayenne Diesel is nice, but 2015 is just a cosmetic refresh. The menacing headlamps, minor bodywork changes, and the steering wheel out of a 918 Spyder. Underneath it's unchanged from the 2011-2014. It's quiet, handles the crappy roads here with grace and comfort, and I get 30+ MPG highway driving (654 miles range out of one tank). 21mpg towing. It feels deceptively powerful compared to the new Cayenne S (turbo 6) because of the diesel's torque.

There's a thread on another forum with more of my thoughts and photos if you're curious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.